Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer Interface
Hardtail
post Jan 28 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.967

I'm currently looking for an interface on the cheap. The Presonus Audiobox is only $120US at guitarcenter.com right now and came recommended by a buddy already. Anything else compare in that price bracket?

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 28 2011, 04:35 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

In that price range the presonnus is a great way to go. You can get other interfaces in that range but I doubt any will have the quality of the presonnus. That's a really good price. The preamps in that unit are quite good and the A/D converters are good. Usually interfaces in that price range use cheap preamps and AD converters.

The line six Pod studio is on sale for about the same price. The preamps and converters are not quite as good as the presonnus but it comes with Pod Farm which is a great way to get in to guitar modeling. Recording through a cheap mic and a mid grade amp in a bedroom, it will be really hard to get great guitar tone recorded. The benefit of modeling is that the software emulates a much better mic, amp, room. It also has the ability to let you hear what your playing through the unit without latency (lag essentially) which is very handy when using amp modeling. The live vs modeled thing is of course is a subject of HEATED debate. Here is a link to the item on Musicians Friend

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...mp;src=3LL6WXX1

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hardtail
post Jan 28 2011, 04:51 PM
Post #3

Thanks Todd,

To let you know, I want to go from the Sansamp GT2 direct to the interface so I won't be micing the amp. Vocals will obviously be miked but that is secondary. I mainly want to be able to record off the Sansamp with accurate clarity. Do you think that will work for that?

Hardtail

--------------------

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Sollesnes
post Jan 28 2011, 04:54 PM
Post #4

Learning Tone Master

Member No.: 6.623

Recording the sansamp will be no problem as long as the unit you buy has a DI jack input. smile.gif
Just remember that the Sansamp is incredibly accurate, and even the slightest turn of the knob can later your tone dramatically smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Jan 28 2011, 04:56 PM

+Quote Post
Hardtail
post Jan 28 2011, 05:54 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Jan 28 2011, 10:54 AM) *
Recording the sansamp will be no problem as long as the unit you buy has a DI jack input. smile.gif
Just remember that the Sansamp is incredibly accurate, and even the slightest turn of the knob can later your tone dramatically smile.gif

But specifically... the Sansamp will work well with the Prosonus Audiobox you think?

Hardtail

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sollesnes
post Jan 28 2011, 07:37 PM
Post #6

Learning Tone Master

QUOTE (Hardtail @ Jan 28 2011, 05:54 PM) *
But specifically... the Sansamp will work well with the Prosonus Audiobox you think?

Hardtail

I would look for something else. It looks like this unit has 1.1 USB, which is very old and slow. I would look for USB 2.0 or FW. Otherwise it seems fine smile.gif

Are you going to be recording severeal instruments at the same time? Are you going to be recording vocals, and thus need a microphone input?

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Jan 28 2011, 07:38 PM

+Quote Post
Hardtail
post Jan 28 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Jan 28 2011, 01:37 PM) *
I would look for something else. It looks like this unit has 1.1 USB, which is very old and slow. I would look for USB 2.0 or FW. Otherwise it seems fine smile.gif

Are you going to be recording severeal instruments at the same time? Are you going to be recording vocals, and thus need a microphone input?

Wow... good catch on the USB 1.1 I'm not sure that will make a big deal though but it is old-school.

I'll be recording guitar only mostly... occasionally guitar and vocal simultaneously. I don't need live feedback hrough the interface since I will split my signal between the interface and my amp giving me real-time feedback that way, so I'm not sure the USB 1.1 will be such a big deal. I'm open to other suggestions though. I don't need it to be a modeler like the pod... just an interface.

Hardtail

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sollesnes
post Jan 28 2011, 11:06 PM
Post #8

Learning Tone Master

It's completely up to you smile.gif
Just keep in mind that you might be keeping the audio card for some time, and what you might want to use it for in the future. Also if it comes with any DAW, etc. If the USB doesn't bother you, then of course it is fine. smile.gif

If you want to look at something a bit more expensive, M-Audio and the Mbox are great ones

edit:
but of course, the sansamp will go direct in the line input on the audio card.

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Jan 28 2011, 11:07 PM

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Jan 29 2011, 04:06 AM
Post #9

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 9.801

I like my POD Studio GX. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 29 2011, 04:43 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

The POD STUDIO is made just for guitar players like you who want to record directly. It has quarter inch jacks and an XLR so you can plug directly in with a guitar cable and you can plug in an xlr mic for vocals. The pod farm is just a plugin you can run or not. You don't have to run it. From what I"ve read so far in this thread about what you are looking for, it's sounding more and more like the pod studio is the way to go. If anyone else has an option for about $120, please join in the discussion.

As others have mentioned, you are probably going to be using this interface for quite some time, so pick one that you can live with and try to get to a music store or somewhere that you can try it out. I don't own the pod studio so I can't vouch for it personally.

For a little more more you can get a MAudio Firewire Solo which I have owned and can vouch for. It's firewire connected though so you need firewire ports on your machine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hardtail
post Jan 29 2011, 05:20 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 28 2011, 10:43 PM) *
The POD STUDIO is made just for guitar players like you who want to record directly. It has quarter inch jacks and an XLR so you can plug directly in with a guitar cable and you can plug in an xlr mic for vocals. The pod farm is just a plugin you can run or not. You don't have to run it. From what I"ve read so far in this thread about what you are looking for, it's sounding more and more like the pod studio is the way to go. If anyone else has an option for about $120, please join in the discussion.

As others have mentioned, you are probably going to be using this interface for quite some time, so pick one that you can live with and try to get to a music store or somewhere that you can try it out. I don't own the pod studio so I can't vouch for it personally.

For a little more more you can get a MAudio Firewire Solo which I have owned and can vouch for. It's firewire connected though so you need firewire ports on your machine.

Thanks for the info (everyone else too!). I'll keep looking and i'll revisit this topic in a month or so when I have some spare cash smile.gif

Hardtail

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
post Jan 29 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 7.694

Presonus pre-amps have a good reputation. Also you have phantom power built-in in case you buy a condenser microphone for great quality vocals/speech stuff for internet or whatever

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Lester
post Jan 30 2011, 12:49 AM
Post #13

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 2.783

I'm not a great expert on this area, but I have the tascam US-144, which works just fine for me:

You can read the specs here: http://tascam.com/product/us-144mkii/specifications/

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 30 2011, 02:05 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

From your first post it sounded liked you were about to buy right away so as to get the sale price on Presonnus? Your months out on your purchase? In that case, do some leg work and go actually put your hands on as many units as possible. Nothing is worse than getting what you thought was a great unit and finding out you don't like after actually using it. You can only tell so much based on reading specs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hardtail
post Jan 30 2011, 06:31 AM
Post #15

Well... I guess if everyone came back with a resounding "great deal!" reply to the presonus, then I was gonna buy it while it was on sale. But it seems like I need to do some more work on this so while I save up some money I'll try some out smile.gif

Thanks for all the help guys!

Hardtail

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blister
post Feb 16 2011, 04:45 AM
Post #16

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 12.141

Great post. I believe I caught this post just in time. I was getting ready to buy the Tascam US-100. Do I need to spend a few extra bucks for a better interface?

Tascam US-100

Gary

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2017 - 09:01 PM