> Knowing Where They're From, Identifying where bands are from
Kristofer Dahl
post Feb 7 2011, 10:03 AM
Post #1

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

Its not always easy to tell where a band is from. First check out Mate's new lesson, "Angus' Attitude Blues", and then post a reply to today's topic.

Are you good at identifying where bands are from just from their music? Did you know where AC/DC was from? Cirse?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
post Feb 7 2011, 10:08 AM
Post #2

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

It can be hard to know it since most bands sing in English, so I always thing they are either Brit or American, when they can actually be from Sweden as was the case with Milencollin smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Feb 7 2011, 03:17 PM
Post #3

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 9.801

I'm not. Thousand Foot Krutch is a Canadian band, and they don't really sound like it. It sounds more American for the most part. But most bands I listen to are American anyway, so it's a given for me. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Feb 7 2011, 03:42 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

If it's a metal band and they're good then they're probably from Germany, haha ! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
post Feb 7 2011, 04:36 PM
Post #5

Ultimate Tone Guru
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 2.410

For me its impossible to hear

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
post Feb 7 2011, 08:08 PM
Post #6

Accomplished Rock Star
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 5.361

Ben is right! Haha! I'm pretty good at identifying bands and where they come from...don't know why that is, must be some magic intuition smile.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Sollesnes
post Feb 15 2011, 12:05 AM
Post #7

Learning Tone Master

Member No.: 6.623

Old bands are easier to distinguish, as they fall into patterns of music and sound. Old bands known for the Gothenburg sound as well, as they all went to the same studio (which produced the Gothenburg sound).
I think new modern bands are pretty much impossible to distinguish, because Internet allows music to travel and inspire everyone all over the world. Also recording techniques and possibilities are much wider, and in many cases done by themselves.
When the major record companies had a harder grip on the music that you ended up listening to, artists didn't go to that many different studios, and so you ended up getting these distinguishable styles. I think. smile.gif

Of course you can be extremely general and say that melodic death metal comes from Finland, more epic melodic metal comes from Sweden, Black Metal from Norway, overly-produced metal and speed metal from America, rock from England, power metal from Germany, "danseband" from Denmark, etc etc etc. But thats just intuitions based on whats popular in the various places, not a certain sound coming from the country itself. A Mongolian black metal band doesn't have to sound any different from Norwegian.

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Feb 15 2011, 12:09 AM

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
post Feb 15 2011, 04:45 PM
Post #8

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 3.056

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 7 2011, 02:42 PM) *
If it's a metal band and they're good then they're probably from Germany, haha ! laugh.gif

THAT'S A LIE! laugh.gif

Probably from Finland or Sweden wink.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
The Farmer
post Feb 15 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #9

GMC:er

Member No.: 4.530

Good topic. depends though if its the music or the vocalist we`re discussing here. Music can be generalised to black metal=Norway Death metal= Sweden, Syntheziser metal=Finland tongue.gif thrash metal=USA power metal= Germany etc.(jajaja I know there are other genres than metal) when it comes to the vocalist I personally think in many cases it gives away the origin of the bands. meaning that every language has somekind of difficulties pronouncing some english words, although I dont consider it a problem, and definately not when listening to death and black metal because you only hear every other word anyways laugh.gif although one thing bothers me, and thats when listening to rhapsody of fire(and a few other bands) theyr english is so far off that its not even english, I think they`d actually be better if they were to sing in italian....well just my 2 cents, no hard feelings! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Feb 15 2011, 09:07 PM
Post #10

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 10.329

I would've never thought Poets Of The Fall were from Finland, they have a very American sound on most of their songs. Also, wouldn't have guessed that Symphony X are from the US, because they have a very European sound. Recently it has become increasingly difficult to determine where a band originates from. I think because of the internet geographic barriers have been removed and music no longer develops in isolation.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Feb 15 2011, 09:15 PM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Feb 15 2011, 08:07 PM) *
I would've never thought Poets Of The Fall were from Finland, they have a very American sound on most of their songs.

One thing I've noticed about Sweden and it may be similar for Finland and other areas of Scandinavia is that Swedes have an almost American accent when they speak English.. very American 'R' sounds if that makes sense ? I think a good example is when you hear Mattias Eklundh sing..

Btw, it's not a criticism, just an observation !! Don't take my donuts away............!!!!! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Feb 15 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #12

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 10.329

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 15 2011, 03:15 PM) *
One thing I've noticed about Sweden and it may be similar for Finland and other areas of Scandinavia is that Swedes have an almost American accent when they speak English.. very American 'R' sounds if that makes sense ? I think a good example is when you hear Mattias Eklundh sing..

Btw, it's not a criticism, just an observation !! Don't take my donuts away............!!!!! tongue.gif

I've noticed the same thing as well, I've also noticed that Dutch people also speak English with an American accent, or at least the ones I've spoken to. Once I actually asked a Dutchman why they have an American accent, and he said its because movies are never dubbed or subtitled into Dutch, and therefore they have no choice but to learn the American dialect tongue.gif

Whats funny though, is that where I'm from in the US, New England, the letter "r" is almost non existent if its preceded by a vowel biggrin.gif A good example of what it sounds like would be the way Peter Griffin from Family Guy talks wink.gif

This dude below actually does a pretty good job demonstrating the way a typical Bostonian speaks. Oh yeah mind the language... its kinda hard to find someone with a Boston accent who doesn't curse loool

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Feb 16 2011, 11:10 AM
Post #13

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Feb 15 2011, 09:06 PM) *
. Once I actually asked a Dutchman why they have an American accent, and he said its because movies are never dubbed or subtitled into Dutch, and therefore they have no choice but to learn the American dialect tongue.gif

This dude below actually does a pretty good job demonstrating the way a typical Bostonian speaks. Oh yeah mind the language... its kinda hard to find someone with a Boston accent who doesn't curse loool

Yeah my understanding of it was the same... even in Germany they say that it's easier for them to learn English from American speakers. Although imagining Europeans learning English with a Noo Yoik accent is funny !! tongue.gif

That video's classic... although when he says 'Market Street' it sounds Australian to me smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Feb 26 2011, 02:00 AM
Post #14

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Hehe, funny that, I can't get used to ACDC being Australian band even today when I hear them talk laugh.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2017 - 04:09 PM