> Revising
Kristofer Dahl
post May 11 2011, 09:49 AM
Post #1

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

First check out Chowy's new lesson, "Melodic Deathcore Guitar", and then post a reply to today's topic.

Sometimes it's worth taking a look back on a tune you wrote before. Have you ever gone back, revised an old song and made great improvements upon it? Why do you think you were successful? What new perspective did you have?

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post May 11 2011, 10:12 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

Most certainly!

Sometimes, as a creator, you tend to get too much into what you're doing and suddenly you're not able to see the big picture and get stuck.

It is best to leave that song aside and work on something else. In the mean time, you'll hear things, meet people and listen to all sorts of music, which eventually will trigger that idea which you were lacking in order to go on with the song you were stuck with.

I hope I am making sense smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post May 11 2011, 11:13 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

Good questions and good points also from Cosmin smile.gif Pulling away and seeing the bigger picture is a must for any musician.

In my experience I've mostly altered the arrangement of a song... sometimes it happened a few years after it was written. I usually did it if I felt a chord change or something was lazy and uninspired.

A lot of the time we write stuff on autopilot because we forget to pull ourselves away and look at the big picture.. so sometimes this time away from a song can help us hear what sounds naive or awkward, and inspires us to change it. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: May 11 2011, 11:13 AM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post May 15 2011, 02:12 AM
Post #4

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

I did this many times. Sometimes songs took years to write the final version. Time give a good perspective on things.
Sometimes initial ideas are good sometimes there are lots of changes being made to the song.
I like the feeling when I go back to listen to the old material/songs and feel how cool and fresh they still sound! smile.gif))
Than I know I did it right.

Overall, once I finish a song I have a practice of letting it on a side for a month and then listening to it with "new" ears to see if I want to make any changes.

For GMC support please email support (at)
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2016 - 08:02 AM