Isolating Hands When Practicing
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 4 2011, 08:58 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
As today's lesson is about legato I have a tip to share with you. When I was practicing tapping, I noticed something. I was isolating both hands separately when practicing the technique.

For ex. left hand was just hammering on notes on the fretboard in patterns like : 1-2-3-4.
Then I was doing pull-offs. After that some legato....
I noticed a huge boost in my overall fretting technique and strength after that practice session in my left hand.

That leads me to today's tip :
Try isolating your hands when practicing to get even better results. That way you get a chance to focus much more on only what one hand is doing and work on the movement. You can for example just mute the strings and focus on your right hand picking. Same as with left hand, practice hammering on notes/pull offs without picking hand accentuation. That kind of focus brings much faster results.

How many of you practice legato? It will boost your fretting hand technique a lot!

Here are some lesson series on GMC that cover this technique :

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Legato-Workshop-3/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser...Land-Of-Legato/

What are your thoughts about this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 4 2011, 09:59 AM
Instructor
Funny you should bring this up Bogdan because I've been experiencing this myself recently. I had been practicing picking (with a metronome !! I know, my video chat friends will never believe me !) and playing a pattern with my left hand. I would get to a speed where I would start flagging and getting slower. However when I took my left hand away and just picked the note I noticed I had no problems. ohmy.gif

If your fretting hand isn't 100% then the right hand has to work harder to try and get into synch with it and you end up wasting more energy on your picking hand. So practicing with just picking and not fretting anything is a good way to boost picking stamina.

The downside is that you will still have to go back and work your left hand into it anyway.. but at least the right hand is sorted and you can concentrate more on your left wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:07 AM