> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13  
Cosmin's Video Chat Lesson Notes
Doug Lane
Oct 20 2013, 05:57 PM
GMC:er
Thanks Cosmin. I really like the idea of utilizing the voice more, I will make it a point to actually listen to some of these backing tracks without a guitar in hand, possibly even record myself "voice jamming" with the track. I totally feel like it could address not only my apprehension with using certain techniques on the guitar, but my creativity in phrasing and structuring melodies and harmonies as well. I'll explore this method more and get back to you on it later!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 21 2013, 11:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Doug Lane @ Oct 20 2013, 04:57 PM) *
Thanks Cosmin. I really like the idea of utilizing the voice more, I will make it a point to actually listen to some of these backing tracks without a guitar in hand, possibly even record myself "voice jamming" with the track. I totally feel like it could address not only my apprehension with using certain techniques on the guitar, but my creativity in phrasing and structuring melodies and harmonies as well. I'll explore this method more and get back to you on it later!

That's exactly what I wanted to stimulate here mate smile.gif

Please do so and you can even record the vocal jamming. After that, chisel the phrases on the guitar and presto - you have your voice there - your own uniqueness expressed in music smile.gif I think that is the secret to success in everything, not only in music. Be yourself wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 24 2013, 09:02 AM
Instructor
Captain's Log, October 24th 2013 -> Check out the replay: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40138122

Emulating other instruments

Alright guys and gals of GMC smile.gif The next episode of articulation month in my video chat series, is based on emulating other instruments. And what better choice then the.... saxophone!

I selected a few very famous tunes with well known sax lines that we will discuss from the perspective of emulation and interpretation on the guitar. This is one of the best articulation and expression drills alongside the ideas discussed in the last session about emulating the human voice.

Conclusion? You will be able to develop your expressive side a big lot if you take some time to play the guitar like it's a whole new instrument smile.gif needless to say, your ear training will also have something to benefit from this endeavor.

Of course, after sorting out the original interpretation, we can alter it in our own PERSONAL way wink.gif That's what we aim for, right?

See you tonight at 8 PM London time!

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Oct 24 2013, 09:22 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 31 2013, 11:59 AM
Instructor
Captain's Log, October 31st, 2013 -> Check out the replay wink.gif http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40357703

Guys, this is our last session on expression and articulation and.. what better way to finalize then throwing a glance on strings! Cello and violin tonight!

We will look at phrases taken from these nice pieces and see what makes them special and how we can incorporate them in our playing!

See you tonight at 8 PM London time in the chat room!

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Oct 31 2013, 10:15 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 7 2013, 07:56 PM
Instructor
Captain's Log, November 7th 2013th -> Check out the replay http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40561521

Hey guys! I will begin this month with a session that continues the last weeks' ideas related to classical music and from Bach we are jumping to Vivaldi, approaching the beginning arpeggios from 'Winter' Opus 1 - based on the same dynamic concepts - fast vs slow and loud vs soft!

Check out the tabs and join me in the chat room at 8 PM London time!

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Nov 7 2013, 10:24 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Vivaldi_Arpeggios.gp5 ( 3.38K ) Number of downloads: 202
Attached File  Vivaldi_Arpeggios.pdf ( 130.91K ) Number of downloads: 249

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 14 2013, 06:42 PM
Instructor
Captain's Log, November 14th 2013 -> Replay here: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40771091

Hey guys! Since in the Classical Music Challenge we had two great takes, I have decided to take the track proposed by Monica and dissect it with you guys live. I will show you how I figure out a piece by ear and how I am trying to interpret it in respect to the mood it sets in my mind.

It's more like classical jazz, but it can make a fine piece of work for us, so check it out below:

Check out the challenge thread and remember that you can throw your favorite classical music lick in there and we can debate it: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=50592

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Nov 14 2013, 10:18 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 21 2013, 05:16 PM
Instructor
Captain's Log, November 21st, 2013 -> Check out the replay here: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40978910

Hey guys! Continuing the Classical music dedicated month with none other than... Mozart!

I will show you some very useful licks which I concocted and used onstage while performing with the orchestra. You can see the recording here:

And check the tabs attached! See you at 8 PM London time!

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Nov 21 2013, 10:17 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Mozart_licks_and_phrases.gp5 ( 3.1K ) Number of downloads: 191
Attached File  Mozart_licks_and_phrases.pdf ( 121.51K ) Number of downloads: 387

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 28 2013, 06:39 PM
Instructor
Captain's Log, November 28th, 2013 -> Check the replay here: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/41192478

Since it's the last v-chat before the Day And Night Video Collab, I decided to take a few ideas and put them on the table for ya smile.gif We have the Ionian take here and we will try to transform some of the licks into Harmonic Minor ones at 8PM London time. Check things out and come join me wink.gif

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Nov 28 2013, 10:20 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Ionian_mellow_approach.mp3 ( 1.4MB ) Number of downloads: 191
Attached File  Day_Ionian_Ideas.gp5 ( 2.13K ) Number of downloads: 224
Attached File  Day_Ionian_Ideas.pdf ( 69.41K ) Number of downloads: 232

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 19 2013, 04:57 PM
Instructor
Captain's Log, December 19th 2013 -> Check out the replay: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/41884578

Hey guys! I am back and waiting for you tonight to discuss about understanding odd rhythmic subdivisions implemented over a 4/4 time signature smile.gif

This allows us to be able to phrase with far better dynamics and make things sound very interesting in our solos - tonight we will break down the mechanics and a few examples using the C major/ A minor scale.

Throw an eye over the tabs and I will see you at 8 PM London time as usual!

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Dec 19 2013, 10:17 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Odd_Rhythmic_Subdivisions.gp5 ( 3.43K ) Number of downloads: 205
Attached File  Odd_Rhythmic_Subdivisions.pdf ( 126.13K ) Number of downloads: 214

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 23 2013, 04:27 PM
Instructor
Hey guys and gals!

My chat session this Thursday is moving on the Saturday 28th at 6 PM London time! Be there if you want to discuss about applying ALL the 7 modes on the same musical phrase, by learning how to manipulate notes wink.gif More to come in the lesson notes I will post tomorrow!

Stay tuned my friends!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 28 2013, 06:39 PM
Instructor
Captain's log, December 28th 2013 -> Check out the replay here: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/42182568

Today will be our last session this year smile.gif I decided to make things interesting by having a light discussion on building melodic themes, by using modes and talking about note manipulation in respect to the chords used, so that we may use all the 7 modes!

A little theory to back us up - let's remember the formulas:

Ionian - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Dorian - 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7

Phrygian - 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

Lydian - 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7

Mixolydian - 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7

Aeolian - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

Locrian - 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

Come join the fun!

Cosmin

PS: As promised, I attached the track in this post smile.gif Watch the replay and let's see your ideas!

Remember - the whole deal is the following:

1. Build a minor or major pentatonic lick
2. Add the necessary notes to make the lick sound Dorian, Phrygian or Aeolian if you are using the mior pentatonic and if you are using the major pentatonic, add the notes which are necessary to underline the Ionian, Lydian or Mixolydian modes.
3. Post your audio or video recording over the track, in this thread smile.gif

All the details are in the chat replay, so give it a go if you wish smile.gif Looking forward to see your recordings.

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Dec 30 2013, 11:28 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Modes_in_the_key_of_A.mp3 ( 940K ) Number of downloads: 176

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 2 2014, 04:40 PM
Instructor
Captain's Log, January 2nd, 2014 Watch the replay here -> http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/42405450

Alright mates! Since I remember that in the last session in the last year (I love how that sounds laugh.gif ) we had a nice little discussion around the chord progressions that we can obtain around a mode, I would like to dedicate this month to this subject smile.gif What will we do? Basically, dissect a song based on the Dorian mode and see how we can use the things it can teach us in order to personalize various given chord progressions.

Whenever we look at them written we can't always imagine how to play them so that we will make them sound good, so let's see how we can learn from famous songs in respect to creating our original compositions!

How?

For instance, by applying the concept of creating rhythmic formulas which can be arpegiated following the given chord progression. We can learn this thing from a famous Dorian based song:

The bass formula in this one will be our guide and we will use some of the progressions below (Dorian progressions of course)

i - IV - i - VII
i - VII - i - VII
i - IV - ii - v
i - III - IV - i - VII

Curious? smile.gif Join me tonight at 8 PM London time!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jan 4 2014, 08:13 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 9 2014, 02:53 PM
Instructor
Captain's Log, January 9th 2014 -> Check out the replay: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/42574327

Guys and gals smile.gif Since the year has just begun, I have started a new approach in seeing the 6 stringed instrument we all like to learn and play. In this new approach, everything is based on reduction

When I say reduction, I mean that simplifying the view over the guitar will prove very useful and will teach you a lot of things in a shorter period of time. Now, you will ask me - HOW?

I say - it's simple smile.gif Imagine that the guitar has only 1 string smile.gif Just like that. It is well known that when you have restrictions in the creative process, you are far more able to come up with an interesting idea, rather then when you are free and bedazzled by the number of possibilities. So, having this in mind, here's what this is all about:

The 1 string approach

Benefits

- the simplest way to see the notes on the neck - it's a straight line!
- learning the fretboard in an organic way with fast and durable results - you CAN'T rely on fingering patterns that can trick you into learning positions
- direct relationship between interval distance and movement in space
- ease when playing various types of phrases and techniques
- dynamics and articulation are clearer

The possibilities:

a) One finger at a time: 1,2,3,4
cool.gif 2 fingers at a time: 1 2, 1 3, 1 4, 2 3, 2 4, 3 4
c) 3 fingers at a time: 1 2 3, 1 2 4, 1 3 4, 2 3 4
d) All 4 fingers

What will we do?

For today - I will use the attached backing track (The Day backing track by Darius Wave, we used in the latest GMC collab) and we will break down the above possibilities in respect to the Ionian mode on each string at a time. The whole deal is that we need to use the rules below:

- we are only allowed to use half step bends
- we are only allowed to use one string at a time
- we can use vibrato, bending, slides, legato, tapping, natural harmonics, muting, various rhythmic subdivisions
- various dynamic approaches such as picking harder or softer and along the string

Looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible tonight!

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jan 9 2014, 10:26 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  day_backing.mp3 ( 1.22MB ) Number of downloads: 149

+Quote Post
korblitz
Jan 9 2014, 03:50 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I think that playing on a single string helps to eliminate two potential problems: "Paralysis", the fear of movement, and "acrophobia", the fear of higher frets, since the entire length of the fretboard is utilized from the very beginning.

It avoids the problem of changing strings. It simplifies the right hand function and displays the principle of left hand function in their purest form.

Isn't it obvious that someone has already invented the one-string instrument? Wouldn't it be sensible to learn the way the instrument wa developed chronilogically?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 9 2014, 03:58 PM
Instructor
That's precisely why I chose this idea smile.gif I am studying a great book that talks about these things and I want to share them with you guys as well!

+Quote Post
korblitz
Jan 9 2014, 04:07 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Can't wait to learn from your video chat. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 10 2014, 09:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (korblitz @ Jan 9 2014, 03:07 PM) *
Can't wait to learn from your video chat. rolleyes.gif

So glad you liked the session mate smile.gif share some ideas if you already tried some, based on what we talked about last evening smile.gif

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:11 PM