Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Get Started At Playing The Blues
post Jun 6 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12.994

Hello G.M.C members.
I've been playing guitar for about 1 year now, but I didn't had a lot of time to practice (I played about 1 or 2 hours a week), but now I got some extra time and I'll be able to practice everyday, for about 2 or 3 hours.

So, I have a basic Mac Mini, a BOSS ME-25 multi-effects pedal, and a basic Shelter SG Detroit 300 guitar. And I would like to start improvising the blues.
Since I didn't had a lot of time, I can only play a few songs like Layla, Bad Love, Something, and a few basic solos (for example the Canon in D Blues Lesson by Ivan). Also, I am not a really fast metal player, I am a slow player, but I don't really think this will be a big problem, I just need some time to practice my speed and accuracy.
Although, if you asked me today to play an A major pentatonic scale, or improvise a simple Slow Blues in any scale, I wouldn't be able to play it.

So, where should I start to learn how to improvise the blues ? Which lessons would suit the best for me ? Can you guys send me the link of those lessons here at G.M.C for me please ?

Thanks a lot for the help!
By the way: Sorry for this long post and asking for so much things rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 6 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi man! There are plenty of lessons here where you'll find blues licks to practice. It's important that you could understand what the instructor is playing in the lessons. I mean which scales, arpeggios and modes he uses in order to allow you to improvise using similar ideas. The first thing that you should learn if you want to play the blues is the "blues scale". This scale is basically a Minor Pentatonic Scale with the additional of the b5 note that is also called "blue note". You can use the SCALE GENERATOR to learn the different positions of this scale, but here you have an example in A minor.

Then you can study the major pentatonic, then the dominant arpeggios and finally the Mixolydian an Dorian modes. All these scales or arpeggios are the most used tools in blues improvisation. If you are a beginner in this style of music you should start just with the minor blues scale. Learn the scale a look for some lessons that use this scale to incorporate licks and ideas.

Ivan Milenkovic has recorded some of the coolest blues lessons at GMC. This is a great beginner lesson:

My lessons

Don't miss my New Guitar Session at VCHAT,
this Wednesday at 20 hs (London Time).

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2016 - 04:16 PM