Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heavenly Nectar From The Bosom Of Angels
Mudbone
post Jun 12 2011, 02:38 AM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 10.329

Beer. Yes, the heavenly nectar that is extracted from the bosom of angels. I was just at Mac's Speed Shop last night, which has some of the best barbecue and ribs in Charlotte, and on tap they had this imperial India Pale Ale called the Maharaja. Since IPA's are one of my favorite types of beers, I had to try it. For those of you who don't know, IPA's were originally brewed by British breweries during the time of the British Empire. They were brewed with extra hops and alcohol so the beer wouldn't spoil on its voyage to India, hence the name.

Anyhow, it was probably the most fragrant and flavorful beer I've ever had. After a few sips it made my burps smell like perfume, which can be a good thing tongue.gif It is a sipping beer however... you're not supposed to chug it then smash the can of your forehead. It has more than ten percent alcohol, so for a beer it really packs a wallop. Its the type of beer you would have with a cigar during a relaxing night out, not something you would drink before jumping into a mosh pit, thats what PBR Tall Boys are for laugh.gif

So do you guys have any local restaurants that have great food and beer?

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Jun 12 2011, 02:41 AM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post Jun 12 2011, 02:39 AM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 11.477

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 12 2011, 02:38 AM) *
Beer. Yes, the heavenly nectar that is extracted from the bosom of angels. I was just at Mac's Speed Shop last night, which has some of the best barbecue and ribs in Charlotte, and on tap they had this imperial India Pale Ale called the Maharaja. Since IPA's are one of my favorite types of beers, I had to try it. For those of you who don't know, IPA's were originally brewed by British breweries during the the time of the British Empire. They were brewed with extra hops and alcohol so the beer wouldn't spoil on its voyage to India, hence the name.

Anyhow, it was probably the most fragrant and flavorful beer I've ever had. After a few sips it made my burps smell like perfume, which can be a good thing tongue.gif It is a sipping beer however... you're not supposed to chug it then smash the can of your forehead. It has more than ten percent alcohol, so for a beer it really packs a wallop. Its the type of beer you would have with a cigar during a relaxing night out, not something you would drink before jumping into a mosh pit, thats what PBR Tall Boys are for laugh.gif

So do you guys have any local restaurants that have great food and beer?

yep my grandma's house tongue.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jun 12 2011, 02:39 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Jun 12 2011, 02:48 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jun 11 2011, 09:39 PM) *
yep my grandma's house tongue.gif

Hell ya! biggrin.gif

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
JVM
post Jun 12 2011, 06:35 AM
Post #4

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.984

If you're ever down Chapel Hill way, I'll show you all our best spots! We've got some great barbecue as well.. there's a place called the Q shack which is a favorite of mine.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Jun 12 2011, 08:00 AM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 9.820

Man, that's ace.. you and I definitely like our ales Mudbone tongue.gif

You can really taste the alcohol in beers that are 6% and above.. it's almost too sweetly overpowering. You ever heard of something called Special Brew, made by Carlsberg ? It's a horrible high alcohol lager that is usually associated with tramps and alcoholics due to the high alcohol level for less money !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Jun 12 2011, 08:15 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 12 2011, 03:00 AM) *
Man, that's ace.. you and I definitely like our ales Mudbone tongue.gif

You can really taste the alcohol in beers that are 6% and above.. it's almost too sweetly overpowering. You ever heard of something called Special Brew, made by Carlsberg ? It's a horrible high alcohol lager that is usually associated with tramps and alcoholics due to the high alcohol level for less money !

Since you've said its associated with tramps I'm definitely going to have to try it tongue.gif We got some beers like that over here, like Colt .45 and Molson XXX. But the Maharaja isn't anything like that, its a high quality beer. Its floral and piney notes overpower the taste of alcohol. Plus its loaded up with malt barley, its not a beer you drink to get destroyed. Its also very expensive, the only reason I got it was because I misread the price on the menu biggrin.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Jun 12 2011, 08:38 AM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 9.820

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 12 2011, 08:15 AM) *
Since you've said its associated with tramps I'm definitely going to have to try it tongue.gif

Its also very expensive, the only reason I got it was because I misread the price on the menu biggrin.gif

Haha.. 'nuff said ! cool.gif

That's classic.. but it's nice when you have these happy accidents, as I call them ! I didn't think think it was a low quality drink to get hammered to.. I know the kind of ultra strong ale you mean.. not that actual one, but there is an 8% or something beer by McEwans (Scottish) that's flavoured with berries or something.. even though they're strong they are still drinkable as long as you take it steady and sip it as you said.. but the mention of high alcohol drinks made me think of the tramp drinks.

P.S. Just for the record I would like to make it very clear I don't advocate alcohol abuse and although we mention ale and beer it's all light hearted and not to be taken that we're glorifying it at all.. I'm pretty sure that we're all responsible here with whatever lifestyles we lead and we're not prone to being OTT with anything... except for guitar, of course ! cool.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jun 12 2011, 10:40 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
post Jun 12 2011, 11:59 AM
Post #8

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

Beer. The magic word smile.gif
I thoroughly love beer, be it white red, blond, brune or black. I specially enjoy belgium and german beers. I'm not too fond of IPAs though.

Talking about special places to drink special beers I guess I have to mention the unbelievable tasty beer I had in a place in Prague called U Fleku, they make it themselves and it' so smooth you can spend hours there just drinking the same thing wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
post Jun 12 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #9

Accomplished Rock Star
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 5.361

Ha, I could tell you lots of Bars in Münster that have great beers, all kinds of german and international beers...just ask again when you come to my town wink.gif
Funny what you said about smashing a beer can on your forehead...I just went to a cool Festival in Münster yesterday where this video was taken (it's on my facebook page, so if we're not friends already feel free to add me):

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=...04&comments

And no, we weren't drunk...

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Jun 12 2011, 03:14 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (JVM @ Jun 12 2011, 01:35 AM) *
If you're ever down Chapel Hill way, I'll show you all our best spots! We've got some great barbecue as well.. there's a place called the Q shack which is a favorite of mine.

I'll definitely have to check that out next time I'm in that area biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Fran @ Jun 12 2011, 06:59 AM) *
Beer. The magic word smile.gif
I thoroughly love beer, be it white red, blond, brune or black. I specially enjoy belgium and german beers. I'm not too fond of IPAs though.

Talking about special places to drink special beers I guess I have to mention the unbelievable tasty beer I had in a place in Prague called U Fleku, they make it themselves and it' so smooth you can spend hours there just drinking the same thing wink.gif

Ya IPA's are definitely an acquired taste, and many of them aren't that good. There's only a handful of breweries that make it really well. But I'll definitely keep that place U Fleku in mind if I ever happen to be in Prague biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 12 2011, 03:38 AM) *
Haha.. 'nuff said ! cool.gif

That's classic.. but it's nice when you have these happy accidents, as I call them ! I didn't think think it was a low quality drink to get hammered to.. I know the kind of ultra strong ale you mean.. not that actual one, but there is an 8% or something beer by McEwans (Scottish) that's flavoured with berries or something.. even though they're strong they are still drinkable as long as you take it steady and sip it as you said.. but the mention of high alcohol drinks made me think of the tramp drinks.

P.S. Just for the record I would like to make it very clear I don't advocate alcohol abuse and although we mention ale and beer it's all light hearted and not to be taken that we're glorifying it at all.. I'm pretty sure that we're all responsible here with whatever lifestyles we lead and we're not prone to being OTT with anything... except for guitar, of course ! cool.gif

I'll definitely have to see if the local mega-liquor-warehouse has McEwans, they usually have a good selection from the UK.

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jun 12 2011, 07:43 AM) *
Ha, I could tell you lots of Bars in Münster that have great beers, all kinds of german and international beers...just ask again when you come to my town wink.gif
Funny what you said about smashing a beer can on your forehead...I just went to a cool Festival in Münster yesterday where this video was taken (it's on my facebook page, so if we're not friends already feel free to add me):

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=...04&comments

And no, we weren't drunk...

That guy looks familiar... laugh.gif Love the shirts. Is your town close to Dusseldorf?

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
post Jun 12 2011, 03:25 PM
Post #11

Accomplished Rock Star
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 5.361

Define close...it's a 90 minute drive, so I'd say it's pretty close.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Jun 12 2011, 03:31 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jun 12 2011, 10:25 AM) *
Define close...it's a 90 minute drive, so I'd say it's pretty close.

I heard its the best city in Germany to live in, so where you live must be pretty nice as well biggrin.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017 - 08:55 AM