Gmc Instructors!, ...and others of course :-)
MickeM
May 8 2007, 10:37 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Pretty please smile.gif have a listen and comment. What to improve in my playing? Not for this song in particulat (well, that too) but in general.
I layed both the rhythm and solo guitars to a backing track I found.
And, it's in two takes, one for rhythm and the second for solo hence there's a lot of mistakes everywhere but that's the whole idea.

For the masses that thirst for information. laugh.gif
Rhythm Line6 Guitarport "Ain't talking bout" Soldano through 412 Vintage 30's
Solo Line6 Guitarport "Two hands Big Hait" JCM800 through 412 T75's, a tad delay added.
Backing track from guitarvoice.com (if I remember well)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Bark_at_the_moon.wma ( 3.99MB ) Number of downloads: 430

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robin
May 9 2007, 09:44 AM
GMC:er
Ooooh man I loved the solo!! I think all this was really good. Since you're like 100 times better than me I cant really tell you how to improve smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
blindwillie
May 9 2007, 11:01 AM
You are so far ahead of me that I can't have an opinion. Sounds really good to me except a few mistakes but you knew about those already.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 9 2007, 12:55 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Wow, great tone and some nice tight playing - I'm impressed! Did you use your pod for this, or did you mike an amp up? Either way the guitar tone is spot on and really well recorded.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 9 2007, 01:06 PM
Lets go fishing!
Kick aSS !!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 9 2007, 01:15 PM
Instructor
I think my comment will go slightly out of the other's but we are here to learn things, right?

It was pretty good but i have a couple of suggestions:
- when playing riffs - make sure you first play it slowly so you actually know what you play - than speed it up
- when playing solo - make sure every note sounds clearly to make a cool sounding solo - if you play it fast and eat each 3rd note it doesn't sound too good

Anyway - that was a very nice try and i hope you'll soon record more of it and send it here for us to check, right?

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 9 2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 9 2007, 01:55 PM) *
Did you use your pod for this

It's my Line6 Guitarport. The sounds I use are mentioned in the first post. And I play my Ibanez, bridge pu for rhythm and neck pu for solo.

QUOTE (Pavel @ May 9 2007, 02:15 PM) *
I think my comment will go slightly out of the other's but we are here to learn things, right?

- when playing riffs - make sure you first play it slowly so you actually know what you play - than speed it up
- when playing solo - make sure every note sounds clearly to make a cool sounding solo - if you play it fast and eat each 3rd note it doesn't sound too good

Anyway - that was a very nice try and i hope you'll soon record more of it and send it here for us to check, right?

Thanks Pavel! I see exactly what you mean and I will practice both things, especially the "eating every 3'rd note" I think is important.
I'll be sending more stuff like this further on, songs right on the endge of what I can handle which will reveal flaws more easy.

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
May 9 2007, 03:18 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 9 2007, 08:15 AM) *

I eat every third note because I'm Hungry. Ok, I'm going back to bed now.

QUOTE (MickeM @ May 8 2007, 05:37 PM) *
Pretty please smile.gif have a listen and comment. What to improve in my playing? Not for this song in particulat (well, that too) but in general.
I layed both the rhythm and solo guitars to a backing track I found.
And, it's in two takes, one for rhythm and the second for solo hence there's a lot of mistakes everywhere but that's the whole idea.
For the masses that thirst for information. laugh.gif
Rhythm Line6 Guitarport "Ain't talking bout" Soldano through 412 Vintage 30's
Solo Line6 Guitarport "Two hands Big Hait" JCM800 through 412 T75's, a tad delay added.
Backing track from guitarvoice.com (if I remember well)

Great Sound!

The rhythm for the most part sounds pretty darn good. The solo, to me, sounds forced. The best comparison I can think of is (if you happen to see the movie) when Metallica was auditioning bass players and some people could play the songs but sorta felt like they were working more at just keeping up than the actual feel of the song. Like Pavel says, I'd suggest nailing each part of the solo in small chunks so not only is it perfect but it feels great.

That being said, I have no doubt you're a short time away from nailing it.

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 9 2007, 03:37 PM
QUOTE (brainlesswonder @ May 9 2007, 04:18 PM) *
The rhythm for the most part sounds pretty darn good. The solo, to me, sounds forced. The best comparison I can think of is (if you happen to see the movie) when Metallica was auditioning bass players and some people could play the songs but sorta felt like they were working more at just keeping up than the actual feel of the song. Like Pavel says, I'd suggest nailing each part of the solo in small chunks so not only is it perfect but it feels great.

Yeah, it's true that it's forced. LOL and I saw that Metallica DVD with the audition so I get it totaly.
I mean, I wish I could play the solo relaxed like with the throttle at half speed and a bit more to go, instead I'm falling behind from time to time. I think that would help to give clearer notes too like what Pavel suggested.

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 9 2007, 06:15 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 9 2007, 07:15 AM) *

I agree with Pavel 100%. That is not to say you are not worthy of a compliment for what you have achieved. You have accomplished much, and he is telling you what you need to do to keep it going, as you asked.

My 2 cents, take away the effects and backing, plug right into an amp, and pay attention to your playing, and nothing but your playing. All that stuff can cover up flaws. I love effects, but to really come to grips with your flaws, you need to learn to also play well without them. I use the drum machine as a tool to increase speed, and only when I am working to accomplish that objective. I don't want to be in a band with a robot.

edit: After playing, I had this to add (as an example). I had gotten my speed up to about 100bps for 16 note sweep groups. I thought it sounded pretty good. I figure at 120 it sounds pretty good. That might not seem fast to some of you, but any faster than that would just be icing on the cake to me. Other things would be more important to focus on at that point. I was playing with effects. Still, it was not quite right. I knew something was wrong, not quite right. I took out the effects, plugged right into an amp, and I could immediately see it was all trash. What mostly sounded good was not my playing, it was the effects smoothing over and masking my deficiencies. I was not hitting the accents right, the rhythm not perfectly steady, I was not making each note stand out. Then I was able to achieve perfection, but at a slower speed. I am back to playing at a slower speed, until I get this right. Having an absolutely precise rhythm, and absolutely precise attack and accent means all the difference in the world. Effects are great, but they can be in impediment to progress. They should be used to embellish excellent play, not to mask deficiencies. That is, if you are really serious.

further edit: the 6 note group sweeps are interesting when done perfectly. Actually they get quite strange, very hard to describe. But you know it when you hear it, it is special. Now if I can just move that up past turtle speed and hold onto that.

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 9 2007, 09:25 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 9 2007, 10:08 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ May 9 2007, 07:15 PM) *
I agree with Pavel 100%. That is not to say you are not worthy of a compliment for what you have achieved. You have accomplished much, and he is telling you what you need to do to keep it going, as you asked.

My 2 cents, take away the effects and backing, plug right into an amp, and pay attention to your playing, and nothing but your playing. All that stuff can cover up flaws. I love effects, but to really come to grips with your flaws, you need to learn to also play well without them. I use the drum machine as a tool to increase speed, and only when I am working to accomplish that objective. I don't want to be in a band with a robot.

edit: After playing, I had this to add (as an example). I had gotten my speed up to about 100bps for 16 note sweep groups. I thought it sounded pretty good. I figure at 120 it sounds pretty good. That might not seem fast to some of you, but any faster than that would just be icing on the cake to me. Other things would be more important to focus on at that point. I was playing with effects. Still, it was not quite right. I knew something was wrong, not quite right. I took out the effects, plugged right into an amp, and I could immediately see it was all trash. What mostly sounded good was not my playing, it was the effects smoothing over and masking my deficiencies. I was not hitting the accents right, the rhythm not perfectly steady, I was not making each note stand out. Then I was able to achieve perfection, but at a slower speed. I am back to playing at a slower speed, until I get this right. Having an absolutely precise rhythm, and absolutely precise attack and accent means all the difference in the world. Effects are great, but they can be in impediment to progress. They should be used to embellish excellent play, not to mask deficiencies. That is, if you are really serious.

further edit: the 6 note group sweeps are interesting when done perfectly. Actually they get quite strange, very hard to describe. But you know it when you hear it, it is special. Now if I can just move that up past turtle speed and hold onto that.

Good point(s)!! I'm a sucker for effects and I had reverb, delay, compressor and a phaser on the rhythm and delay + reverb on the solo, except for distortion. All to make listening interesting and I use it for practice too, to make practise more fun. But it's all true, all of it can hide flaws.
And cranking an amp up is a completely different thing than sitting there with headphones. I love to play so loud you can feel the 4x12 bouncing your intestants around (with earplugs of course). Don't have that opportunity at home though but have to go to one of the rehearsings rooms which both are between 20-30 minutes drive away so it's too seldom I'm going there. I've been looking at a 2-5W amp to keep at home but I also want a Laney LC15R and a Laney GH50 and or an ENGL for the rehearsal rooms so I don't know... What I miss the most is a valve amp at home and I rather have the 15W Laney since what I have for rehearsing is already suitable.
Anyway, playing it clean without effects, I will take that advice with me.

+Quote Post
stratman33
May 30 2007, 12:30 AM
wow that was awesome!!I could definately tell that that was bark at the moon!Good job!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:00 PM