Need Help With Lians Riff Master Ii: Melodic Death Metal Lesson
Finny
Jul 9 2011, 10:45 PM
Learning Roadie
Link to lesson

Hi.

About 20 seconds into this when the drum beat changes I constantly get thrown out of the beat. I'm not even able to play it with the slowest backingtrack. Can someone tell me if the riff changes a bit at that point? It sounds like hit the low E an extra 2-3 times like this:( But it doesnt add up...?)

D#||-------------------|-----------------------------|------------------------------|-----------------------------|
A#||-------------------|-----------------------------|------------------------------|-----------------------------|
F#||-------------------|-----------------------------|------------------------------|-----------------------------|
C#||-------------------|-----------------------------|------------------------------|-----------------------------|
G#||-------------------|--------7--8-----5-----7---|-----8-----10-----12-----7-|-----5-----7-----8-----7---|
D#||-------------------|--000---0----0-----0------|--0-----0------0------0-----|--0-----0-----0-----0-----|

(EDIT: This adds up,and sounds close but a bit weird...)
D#||-------------------|-----------------------------|-----------------------------|--------------------------|
A#||-------------------|-----------------------------|-----------------------------|--------------------------|
F#||-------------------|-----------------------------|-----------------------------|--------------------------|
C#||-------------------|-----------------------------|----------------------------|--------------------------|
G#||-------------------|--------7---8------5-------|--7-----8-----10-----12---|-----7-----5-----7-----8--|
D#||-------------------|--0--0---0----0------0---|-----0------0------0--------|--0-----0-----0-----0-----|

instead of the beginning when he plays like this:

D#||-------------------|----------------------------|-------------------------------|----------------------------|
A#||-------------------|----------------------------|-------------------------------|----------------------------|
F#||-------------------|----------------------------|-------------------------------|----------------------------|
C#||-------------------|----------------------------|-------------------------------|----------------------------|
G#||-------------------|-----7-----8-----5-----7--|-----8-----10-----12-----7--|-----5-----7-----8-----7--|
D#||-------------------|--0-----0-----0-----0-----| --0-----0------0------0-----|--0-----0-----0-----0-----|

But i just cant figure out what happends there that adds up..Would be nice if someone could help me out! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Finny: Jul 9 2011, 11:05 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 10 2011, 11:21 AM
Instructor
Hi Finny, I've had a listen to where the drums change at 0:21 and Lian plays the same riff. Just one open E string like the rest. What is confusing you is the change of beat, plus the extra double kick patterns in the drums probably.

It still has a count of 1,2,3,4 - 1,2,3,4.

What is changing is the accent of the snare drum, but the pace of the riff stays the same. Try listening again and imagine a metronome clicking away with the drums, going 1,2,3,4 - 1,2,3,4 all the way through.

The first beat is a typical thrash rhythm, where the snare falls on the 'offbeat' between 1 & 2.
The second beat is more straightforward with the snare falling on the 2.

I hope that makes sense ? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Finny
Jul 11 2011, 07:20 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah spot on on man!
It was the accent of the snare drum that was throwing me off.

Thanks a lot:)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 11 2011, 07:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Finny @ Jul 11 2011, 07:20 PM) *
Yeah spot on on man!
It was the accent of the snare drum that was throwing me off.

Thanks a lot:)

Excellent, I'm glad to help.. good luck with the lesson ! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:57 AM