zen
post Jul 14 2011, 10:53 AM
Post #21

Learning Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.995

I have a backup guitar, its difficult to carry it to the gig though

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jul 14 2011, 10:53 AM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (zen @ Jul 14 2011, 09:53 AM) *

smile.gif))))

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Jul 31 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #23

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

QUOTE (zen @ Jul 14 2011, 10:53 AM) *

Haha, I missed this somehow ! It's like a giant mandolin cool.gif

Anyway, I thought I'd update this thread with some experience from the battlefield - we played a gig last night in Bristol and I'm glad I took a backup guitar because the D string broke in the 2nd song.. I continued the song (Wrathchild) adapting the riffs to different strings as best I could (which was hit and miss) and at the end I had to swap my guitars over and carry on, praying that my second guitar wouldn't break a string (and they were older strings too !) but all was well in the end..

Apart from the jack lead which connected my footswitch to the amp - that broke down after the 3rd song so that had to be swapped over. A lead had to be borrowed in a hurry.

Oh and the drum kit was moving forward whilst the drummer was playing it.. so we had to improvise a way to keep them from shifting.

So, it pays to have a backup guitar. You can plan for everything but there will always be a surprise - expect the unexpected and adapt quickly cool.gif

Or as Bruce Lee would say - 'Be like water, my friend' smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jul 31 2011, 08:25 PM
Post #24

Instructor
Group Icon

You just hit a soft spot with Bruce's words biggrin.gif mate, I haven't broken a string in a long time now and I play really aggressive live - I think the high gauge ones are tough to break (to my relief!)

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 31 2011, 11:20 AM) *

Anyway, I thought I'd update this thread with some experience from the battlefield - we played a gig last night in Bristol and I'm glad I took a backup guitar because the D string broke in the 2nd song.. I continued the song (Wrathchild) adapting the riffs to different strings as best I could (which was hit and miss) and at the end I had to swap my guitars over and carry on, praying that my second guitar wouldn't break a string (and they were older strings too !) but all was well in the end..

Apart from the jack lead which connected my footswitch to the amp - that broke down after the 3rd song so that had to be swapped over. A lead had to be borrowed in a hurry.

Oh and the drum kit was moving forward whilst the drummer was playing it.. so we had to improvise a way to keep them from shifting.

So, it pays to have a backup guitar. You can plan for everything but there will always be a surprise - expect the unexpected and adapt quickly cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
post Jul 31 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #25

Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.860

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 31 2011, 12:20 PM) *

yea we were plagued with some bad luck from the off! but you did a great job, I didnt even know you`d broke a string till you told me lol!

as i said earlier in this thread, thats a huge advantage of a fixed bridge over a floating trem, you were able to carry on till the end of the song, I`d have been out the game, as soon a string goes thats it, the guitar is horrendously out of tune

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Aug 1 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #26

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Jul 31 2011, 08:52 PM) *
yea we were plagued with some bad luck from the off! but you did a great job, I didnt even know you`d broke a string till you told me lol!

as i said earlier in this thread, thats a huge advantage of a fixed bridge over a floating trem, you were able to carry on till the end of the song, I`d have been out the game, as soon a string goes thats it, the guitar is horrendously out of tune

Yeah it was one thing after the other ! laugh.gif Oh well, we managed in the end - I think these silly moments help both band and audience relax a little smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 1 2011, 11:55 AM
Post #27

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 1 2011, 10:24 AM) *
Yeah it was one thing after the other ! laugh.gif Oh well, we managed in the end - I think these silly moments help both band and audience relax a little smile.gif

Mate, have you seen that Vai video I posted where he broke the string? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Aug 1 2011, 11:59 AM
Post #28

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 1 2011, 11:55 AM) *
Mate, have you seen that Vai video I posted where he broke the string? biggrin.gif

I don't think so smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 1 2011, 12:02 PM
Post #29

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 1 2011, 10:59 AM) *
I don't think so smile.gif

There it is biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Aug 1 2011, 12:04 PM
Post #30

Instructor
Group Icon

OMG - 9:33 mins.... do you know where it is in the video ? Just an idea ? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 1 2011, 10:48 PM
Post #31

Instructor
Group Icon

sorry mate, wrong song but the right gig biggrin.gif The Ibanez 90 years Anniversary Concert smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Aug 2 2011, 12:14 PM
Post #32

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 1 2011, 10:48 PM) *

sorry mate, wrong song but the right gig biggrin.gif The Ibanez 90 years Anniversary Concert smile.gif

Wow, he coped extremely well. You never would have noticed !! cool.gif Senor Vai is uber cool !

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 06:07 AM