Song Request
Mike RR24
Jul 18 2011, 02:54 AM
Learning Roadie
Ben I was wondering if it may be possible to get a lesson on Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction" Solo.
I have been learning it but I just can't seem to phrase it correctly and have not found anything on it to help me.
I appreciate it if it's possible.

Thanks

Mike

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Michael Connell - Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua, Mexico

Gear: Jackson Pro RR24.
Ibanez XPT700.
Mexican Fender Strat 2008 Model.
Marshall MA 100 Watt Head w/Crate Blackheart slanted cab 300 Watts.
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Digitech Metal Master Heavy Metal Distortion Pedal.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.
BOSS BR-1600CD Home Studio
DigiTech GSP1101 Guitar Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech Control2 Remote Foot Controller
TC-Helicon VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
Switch-3 Pedal for VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
ISP Technologies Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Jul 18 2011, 03:24 AM
GMC:er
Correct my if I am wrong, but I think that there was a lesson by Zsolt Galambos on how to play it, but it got removed due to copyright issues.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 18 2011, 09:45 AM
Instructor
Hi Mike.. that's true that Zsolt did have a Symphony solo lesson, however I didn't realise it had been removed.

I'll talk to the admin at GMC and see what the situation is with that... I might not be able to do it. I'll let you konw.. and thank you for the interest and asking me smile.gif

P.S. Even if I can't make a lesson of it I'll try to help you in anyway I can cool.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jul 18 2011, 09:45 AM

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Jul 18 2011, 10:00 AM
GMC:er
yeah, I am also struggling with that one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 18 2011, 10:04 AM
Instructor
Is there any specific parts of the solo which are giving you guys trouble ? Maybe I can help you in the meantime ? Maybe shoot me a Youtube link with the parts that are giving you hassle smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mike RR24
Jul 19 2011, 12:17 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 18 2011, 08:45 AM) *
Hi Mike.. that's true that Zsolt did have a Symphony solo lesson, however I didn't realise it had been removed.

I'll talk to the admin at GMC and see what the situation is with that... I might not be able to do it. I'll let you konw.. and thank you for the interest and asking me smile.gif

P.S. Even if I can't make a lesson of it I'll try to help you in anyway I can cool.gif

Ben,

Thanks for the reply. No sweat on that. I was just wanting a look at it from another shredders take. Maybe pickup a better way to manage it. It's my first solo ever so I'm just needing to keep practicing I quess. I learned a long time ago there is no magic way to hurry it up and I think I'm getting anxious cause I'm wanting to move on and master it. Time on the neck is the only way I know will work. I would be embarrassed to put it on you tube just yet ! sad.gif- I can play the whole solo slowly perfect but when it's played slow it's not (Pitched) not sure what word I'm needing to use here. Phrased, Pitched... it does not sound the same slower and when I speed it up the melody I'm playing is not the same as on the album. I'm not quite to speed either and I think that may be most of it. I really am trying to find things to practice on here that will help me build my speed but am not sure where to start. I appreciate your reply and look forward to working with you guys. My wife and I both play. She is a beginner but blowing me away with her learning speed and I am probably a step above beginner but not quite at intermediate. I know pull offs, hammer ons, pinch harmonics and can perform them well. Also I can play rhythm pretty good. I don't have any music theory. I did however play piano and take lessons as a child and also played clarinet in the high school band but cant remember any of that to help me with the guitar. I poked around on guitar in high school but never stuck with it. I picked it back up and am getting really serious now at 46yrs old finally and have been playing 2 years. Maybe I should say messing around without any instruction. I'm sorry I'm rambling. I apologize for ranting on...

Michael

--------------------

Ibanez XPT700.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 19 2011, 11:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mike RR24 @ Jul 19 2011, 12:17 AM) *
Ben,

Thanks for the reply. No sweat on that. I was just wanting a look at it from another shredders take. Maybe pickup a better way to manage it. It's my first solo ever so I'm just needing to keep practicing I quess. I learned a long time ago there is no magic way to hurry it up and I think I'm getting anxious cause I'm wanting to move on and master it. Time on the neck is the only way I know will work. I would be embarrassed to put it on you tube just yet ! sad.gif- I can play the whole solo slowly perfect but when it's played slow it's not (Pitched) not sure what word I'm needing to use here. Phrased, Pitched... it does not sound the same slower and when I speed it up the melody I'm playing is not the same as on the album. I'm not quite to speed either and I think that may be most of it. I really am trying to find things to practice on here that will help me build my speed but am not sure where to start. I appreciate your reply and look forward to working with you guys. My wife and I both play. She is a beginner but blowing me away with her learning speed and I am probably a step above beginner but not quite at intermediate. I know pull offs, hammer ons, pinch harmonics and can perform them well. Also I can play rhythm pretty good. I don't have any music theory. I did however play piano and take lessons as a child and also played clarinet in the high school band but cant remember any of that to help me with the guitar. I poked around on guitar in high school but never stuck with it. I picked it back up and am getting really serious now at 46yrs old finally and have been playing 2 years. Maybe I should say messing around without any instruction. I'm sorry I'm rambling. I apologize for ranting on...

Michael

Hey Michael,

Don't apologise, this is what GMC is all about ! biggrin.gif Ok.. it sounds like you're noticing differences between the timing of the phrases when you play it slow and faster. I find that when I learn a solo it can be hard to slow down the complicated phrases and time them correctly, because I'm used to hearing them at full speed.. and usually they're not an easy, equal number of notes type thing (especially with our friend, Mr Friedman !) so it's hard to judge how to pace them with the backing/metronome..

I always do a combination of slow study combined with listening to the full speed verison and picking out the key parts of the phrase.. if a particular note or couple of notes leaps out at you, then work out exactly where in the beat they occur and adjust your playing until your hitting the same notes over that part.

I must admit that I played guitar for years before really venturing into lead.. I personally would never have attempted a solo of this calibre with only 2 years playing. That said, it doesn't mean you can't, or shouldn't.. my playing was mainly self taught, with things picked up from magazines.. if I'd have had the internet things might have moved quicker. But the bottom line is don't be too frustrated with yourself if you don't naturally take to a solo like this.. Marty's solos are notoriously quirky. Another important feature of his playing is a strong vibrato, which is an aspect of playing a lot of people neglect for the flashier stuff. His strong vibrato, combined with the timing of his musical phrases are what makes his solos so catchy.

So my strategy is always to listen to the full speed version until I know in my head where all the key phrases and strong notes occur so I can then place them correctly when slowing it down with a metronome. It may not always be exact at slow speed, especially if you're dealing with fast passages with odd numbers.. but when it's sped up, there will be a noticeable rhythm that the phrase is played at. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jul 19 2011, 11:35 AM

+Quote Post
Mike RR24
Jul 19 2011, 05:44 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 19 2011, 10:33 AM) *
Hey Michael,

Don't apologise, this is what GMC is all about ! biggrin.gif Ok.. it sounds like you're noticing differences between the timing of the phrases when you play it slow and faster. I find that when I learn a solo it can be hard to slow down the complicated phrases and time them correctly, because I'm used to hearing them at full speed.. and usually they're not an easy, equal number of notes type thing (especially with our friend, Mr Friedman !) so it's hard to judge how to pace them with the backing/metronome..

I always do a combination of slow study combined with listening to the full speed verison and picking out the key parts of the phrase.. if a particular note or couple of notes leaps out at you, then work out exactly where in the beat they occur and adjust your playing until your hitting the same notes over that part.

I must admit that I played guitar for years before really venturing into lead.. I personally would never have attempted a solo of this calibre with only 2 years playing. That said, it doesn't mean you can't, or shouldn't.. my playing was mainly self taught, with things picked up from magazines.. if I'd have had the internet things might have moved quicker. But the bottom line is don't be too frustrated with yourself if you don't naturally take to a solo like this.. Marty's solos are notoriously quirky. Another important feature of his playing is a strong vibrato, which is an aspect of playing a lot of people neglect for the flashier stuff. His strong vibrato, combined with the timing of his musical phrases are what makes his solos so catchy.

So my strategy is always to listen to the full speed version until I know in my head where all the key phrases and strong notes occur so I can then place them correctly when slowing it down with a metronome. It may not always be exact at slow speed, especially if you're dealing with fast passages with odd numbers.. but when it's sped up, there will be a noticeable rhythm that the phrase is played at. smile.gif

Thanks Ben. I'm a very technical oriented guy and I always go all out on everything I do. I will admit the internet is a big help. I remember in 1980 when I was in high school I learned from friends or either magazines as you mentioned. It would have been nice to have internet then to use. I'm having a lot of fun so it's all worth it. Hey I probably spent $4-7000.00 in equipment so I can learn on some OK stuff. I need to learn how to play better so I can buy my 4th guitar. Thanks for your encouragement Ben I do appreciate it. I really need to learn how to use a metronome correctly. I have one but I've just been playing with songs for my timing and I seem to be pretty good at timing but hey I could be wrong. What do I know. Thanks again.

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 19 2011, 10:33 AM) *
Hey Michael,

Thanks Ben. I'm a very technical oriented guy and I always go all out on everything I do. I will admit the internet is a big help. I remember in 1980 when I was in high school I learned from friends or either magazines as you mentioned. It would have been nice to have internet then to use. I'm having a lot of fun so it's all worth it. Hey I probably spent $4-7000.00 in equipment so I can learn on some OK stuff. I need to learn how to play better so I can buy my 4th guitar. Thanks for your encouragement Ben I do appreciate it. I really need to learn how to use a metronome correctly. I have one but I've just been playing with songs for my timing and I seem to be pretty good at timing but hey I could be wrong. What do I know. Thanks again.

--------------------

Ibanez XPT700.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:11 AM