Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whats A Good Metal Distortion Pedal?, recommendations?
Mudbone
post Jul 20 2011, 05:22 PM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 10.329

So recently I've been interested in solid state distortion. I think it has a character that cannot be found in tube amplifiers. Not to say that its better, just different. Its not really my tone of preference, but I just want to change things up a bit. Most of the metal distortion pedals I've heard haven't been to my liking, they're usually too gritty or trebly. But heres two that I think have a good metal tone, especially that Dime sound. They got so much gain even a Strat with single coils sounds heavy, as you'll see in the demo.

So do you guys have any metal distortion pedals that you recommend?

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 20 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Great ones! I didn't try too many metal pedals... I always recommend the one that I use:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Jul 20 2011, 08:06 PM
Post #3

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

I've got one metal pedal that's just great, not very widely used I belive - beats me why since it's one out of few that produce a convincing sound. Warp factor, it's not over the top like the name would suggest. It's got a very full sound, not gritty but very smooth.
Couldn't find any miked demos, only crappy "sorry for the bad sound"-webcam takes. One was quite ok

Then there's one I kept a hold onto for 20 years, Gollmer fat dist. No videos of that one, not hi gain either so...

If I were to get one pedal today I'm leaning towards a Emma ReezaFRATzitz but that's to simulate tube sound so I wouldn't know if it qualifies for this thread wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
post Jul 20 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 7.730

that dime sounds like a monster, i love the "compressed" sound of transistor dist.
and mxr is always good.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
eLeCtRoFrEaK0036
post Jul 20 2011, 09:42 PM
Post #5

GMC:er

Member No.: 12.894

ibanez Smash Box Distortion Pedal
This is a real nice pedal, i'll be getting it pretty soon!

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter
Visit My Website
Please like my Facebook page
Please Subscribe to my Youtube Channel

There's only room for improvement. Never give up on what you love!
#TheWorldisYours

-IsiahDrew

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jul 22 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

i love the sound of a trashy DS1 tone into marshall

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
post Jul 22 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #7

Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.860

Digitech DF-7 is my favourite, very versatile pedal, a whole variety of distortion sounds from that, 7 pedals in one, nice smile.gif

Digitech DF-7

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Jul 22 2011, 12:04 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 22 2011, 11:23 AM) *

Yeah, apparantly even some guy called Steve Vai used to use a DS-1 for his lead breaks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jul 22 2011, 01:17 PM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Satriani used it for lead too, and Cobain used it for grunge rhythm, it's universal smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Jul 22 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 20 2011, 03:06 PM) *
I've got one metal pedal that's just great, not very widely used I belive - beats me why since it's one out of few that produce a convincing sound. Warp factor, it's not over the top like the name would suggest. It's got a very full sound, not gritty but very smooth.
Couldn't find any miked demos, only crappy "sorry for the bad sound"-webcam takes. One was quite ok

Then there's one I kept a hold onto for 20 years, Gollmer fat dist. No videos of that one, not hi gain either so...

If I were to get one pedal today I'm leaning towards a Emma ReezaFRATzitz but that's to simulate tube sound so I wouldn't know if it qualifies for this thread wink.gif

Very interesting pedal recommendations biggrin.gif I like that the Warp pedal is a little odd looking, but I don't know how well it will fit on a pedal board blink.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 22 2011, 06:23 AM) *

I remember I was pretty impressed the first time I heard a DS1 played live. It was plugged into a solid state Fender half stack and had a pretty rocking sound. It actually sounded better than the JCM900 that the other guitarist up on stage was playing. To be fair to the Marshall, it was poorly dialed in, because it sounded terrible. Anyhow, I'll definitely look into getting a DS1 sometime in the future, but for now I'm looking for an all-out-insane gain pedal biggrin.gif

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 23 2011, 02:59 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Unless I missed it, I can't believe nobody mentioned the Legendary TUBE SCREAMER (and Super Screamer/ Turbo Screamer etc.)

The smooth, rich, gain and pointy bite are just hard to beat. I actually kept my old Digitech GNX3 all these years due to the Tube Screamer emulator it has. Here is a great history of the pedal. It's the Little green pedal you see on so many pro players pedal boards.

http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm

The screamer though is more of a lead pedal. Not a rythm pedal. For good chunk, you might look at the one that started it all the BOSS HM-2.

This little pedal is quite honestly credited with creating the "Gothenburg Sound" of Melodic Death Metal with Scooped Mids and metallic crunch. Here is a link with some history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_Corporation

You can find these cheap in an average pawn shop or small music store and they are worth having around.

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Jul 23 2011, 05:54 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 22 2011, 09:59 PM) *
Unless I missed it, I can't believe nobody mentioned the Legendary TUBE SCREAMER (and Super Screamer/ Turbo Screamer etc.)

The smooth, rich, gain and pointy bite are just hard to beat. I actually kept my old Digitech GNX3 all these years due to the Tube Screamer emulator it has. Here is a great history of the pedal. It's the Little green pedal you see on so many pro players pedal boards.

http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm

The screamer though is more of a lead pedal. Not a rythm pedal. For good chunk, you might look at the one that started it all the BOSS HM-2.

This little pedal is quite honestly credited with creating the "Gothenburg Sound" of Melodic Death Metal with Scooped Mids and metallic crunch. Here is a link with some history.

You can find these cheap in an average pawn shop or small music store and they are worth having around.

Todd

I actually have a TS808 clone kit thats waiting for me to assemble it wink.gif But I was looking for a distortion pedal with lots of gain, which brings me to the second pedal you recommended, the Boss HM-2. Thats pretty much what I was looking for, a classic solid state sound. I'm watching a few on eBay right now, thanks for recommending it biggrin.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jul 23 2011, 08:15 PM
Post #13

Instructor
Group Icon

Not sure what's the budget, but how bout Sansamp? I've played a bit with GT2 and it's very good, it has fuzzy character and it's very flexible. Not sure about how much higain it can go, but it has lots of drive as far as I remember. There are character series as well, US Steel possible being cool

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Jul 28 2011, 06:18 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 23 2011, 03:15 PM) *
Not sure what's the budget, but how bout Sansamp? I've played a bit with GT2 and it's very good, it has fuzzy character and it's very flexible. Not sure about how much higain it can go, but it has lots of drive as far as I remember. There are character series as well, US Steel possible being cool

As far as the budget is concerned, I'm really just looking for something used that I can play with and experiment. Almost all of my gear I buy used, then sell for the same price, if not even more than I got it for. But that Sansamp pedal you recommended is really nice. I'll keep an eye out for it on the used market biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 22 2011, 09:59 PM) *

Todd

I'm watching a few of these on eBay right now. Whats should I expect to pay for a Japanese version of this pedal?

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 30 2011, 03:27 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jul 23 2011, 12:54 PM) *
I actually have a TS808 clone kit thats waiting for me to assemble it wink.gif But I was looking for a distortion pedal with lots of gain, which brings me to the second pedal you recommended, the Boss HM-2. Thats pretty much what I was looking for, a classic solid state sound. I'm watching a few on eBay right now, thanks for recommending it biggrin.gif

Fine choices on Both! smile.gif Th TS808 is a legendary pedal. But it shines best when put on top of some other sort of gain almost as a boost switch for leads. It's fine by itself, but really adds the final touch to say a Mesa Boogie Head on Lead Channel.

The HM2 is hard to beat smile.gif It's the originator.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jul 30 2011, 03:36 PM
Post #16

Instructor
Group Icon

tubescreamer works very good with overdriven jcm800, boosting the front end creates nice tone for rhythm and lead.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th December 2016 - 07:05 PM