> Self Releasing Albums ?
Ben Higgins
post Jul 22 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #1

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 9.820

I know some of the instructors have done it and I wondered how it was done ?

Did you sell through itunes and have physical CD copies available ? Did you sell them from your own website, ship them yourself or did you use a distributor like Tunecore or CD Baby ? Also, did you include all the correct metada on your cd's like UPC and ISRC so they could be registered properly ?

Me and my band are considering self releasing an album in the future and I'm not sure of the best way to go about it, so any advice and experience will be greatly welcomed ! smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jul 22 2011, 01:28 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

I'm also interested if anyone had any experiences selling stuff on iTunes, what's the deal with aggregators etc..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 22 2011, 04:19 PM
Post #3

GMC:er
Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

All of the above smile.gif First up, getting the word out through your social media is a good idea. Then putting up the tracks or at least partial tracks on all your social media/sites. Then offering it through CDbaby.com is a good idea as they will handle fulfillment which is a massive pain otherwise. These days a "Vanity Relase/Self Release" and indie label release are really not that different. Same tools, same costs, etc. CD's are a loss leader for promoting live shows these days so try to look at the CD as a promo cost and not a revenue generator. Also, pray for piracy. Sounds odd I know. But the main problem facing emerging artists isn't piracy, it's obscurity. If you can fix the last problem the rest of the problems will sort themselves.

Congrats on your new release! Can't wait to hear it!

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 08:29 AM