Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dumb Question On Adjusting Action
SlyRy
post Aug 3 2011, 03:13 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 12.959

My low E and A string have a *slight* buzz on my new guitar. I'm not sure if it would be audible through an amp. The other 4 strings are perfect. In this case, could I adjust just one side of the bridge? Or is it recommended you always turn both adjustment screws the same?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kahall
post Aug 3 2011, 03:22 AM
Post #2

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.393

You can raise one side. It won't hurt anything. It will knock all of the strings out of tune but other than that no problem.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
SlyRy
post Aug 3 2011, 03:26 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (kahall @ Aug 3 2011, 02:22 AM) *
You can raise one side. It won't hurt anything. It will knock all of the strings out of tune but other than that no problem.

Cool, how much will it affect the high E string and B string? None or a little?

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
post Aug 3 2011, 07:19 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6.965

It's not a dumb question, as this could affect your playing quality...

Some slope the strings slightly or arc them on the guitar neck. Note that perfectly straight will cause buzz. Random heights might slightly lower your playablity access to other strings.

Normally you first adjust the Truss Rod to get the desired string height. The bridge and the truss rod work in partnership; if you adjust one you may have to adjust the other. If your action is still high after adjusting the truss rod, lower your individual saddles until your strings buzz on the frets and then raise the saddle adjusters until the buzz is gone.

Doing all this will probably throw out your Intonation. Play touch harmonics on each string at the 12th fret. If the note is flat compared to the open string you will have to move that string's saddle back. If it’s sharp, you have to move it forward.

If necessary also do your guitar's pickups adjustment. You don’t want the pickups too far away from the strings or the tone will become "muddy". Too close may cause your strings to touch and buzz.

All that is assuming you don't have any damage, groves cut, etc. You probably can make slight adjustments to remove the buzz without throwing anything off, but it's good to check over.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Aug 3 2011, 07:23 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 3 2011, 11:18 AM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

It's important to tell us where exactly do you hear buzzing: on open strings, 1st fret, 2nd fret, 15th fret, all of them, specific range..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Aug 3 2011, 12:48 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (SlyRy @ Aug 2 2011, 09:13 PM) *
My low E and A string have a *slight* buzz on my new guitar. I'm not sure if it would be audible through an amp. The other 4 strings are perfect. In this case, could I adjust just one side of the bridge? Or is it recommended you always turn both adjustment screws the same?

It is normal to have a slight buzz with an electric guitar if you hit a string hard, it is not an acoustic, the action is set much lower. If you don't want any buzz, you have to set it up like an acoustic with high action, and tight strings to boot. If you hit the string hard on an electric, you will get buzz, if you set the action as most everybody does. The important thing is that it is consistent up and down the neck. I set my action a little lower that spec, but at spec you will still get buzz if you hit a string hard, certainly if you are using typical light strings.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 3 2011, 12:50 PM

+Quote Post
SlyRy
post Aug 3 2011, 02:49 PM
Post #7

It does not buzz on any open strings. It seems like it is mostly the low E and A strings. It does not do it EVERY time. I noticed it really only happens when I'm fretting frets 2-5. Don't notice it really on the middle of the neck and upper neck. The guitar plays beautifully overall, I almost don't want to mess with it.

This post has been edited by SlyRy: Aug 3 2011, 02:50 PM

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
post Aug 3 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 7.694

It will affect the tuning, so make sure you tune again after bridge alterations,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2017 - 09:13 PM