Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vibrating Noise?
Climate
post May 11 2007, 06:52 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.081

Hi all, wasn't sure where I should be posting this, but on my guitar, I'm getting a heavy vibrating noise from the strings on certain frets. I'm not sure why this is.
Could it be something to do with the action? Or maybe the strings themselves? I don't think it's the strings because if I remember correctly my old set did it a bit too.

Thanks

- Charlie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post May 11 2007, 06:59 PM
Post #2

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (Climate @ May 11 2007, 01:52 PM) *
Hi all, wasn't sure where I should be posting this, but on my guitar, I'm getting a heavy vibrating noise from the strings on certain frets. I'm not sure why this is.
Could it be something to do with the action? Or maybe the strings themselves? I don't think it's the strings because if I remember correctly my old set did it a bit too.

Thanks

- Charlie

It sounds like the action is set a little too low - you could try and adjust it yourself, or take it to your friendly local guitar tech.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
post May 11 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #3

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (Climate @ May 11 2007, 07:52 PM) *

Thanks

- Charlie

Could be the action, meaning you have to raise the bridge.

Could be the neck, you'd have to adjust the truss rod. Someone posted an instruction on how to check it. Search for "truss" and I'm sure you'll find it.
This is another way. Put a capo on fret 1, press down the string at fret 13, check that the string doesn't touch the fret at 5 or 6. Should be very close though.
IF you decide to adjust the truss rod, be extremely careful, 1/4 - 1/3 of a full turn should be enough. Don't break it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Climate
post May 11 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #4

I put a capo on and tried it, and it is touching the fret at 5/6. Touching most of the frets infact. Does this mean I have to alter the action or the truss rod?

Thanks

And Andrew, I can alter the action if needs be, cheers

+Quote Post
MickeM
post May 11 2007, 07:13 PM
Post #5

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (Climate @ May 11 2007, 08:09 PM) *
I put a capo on and tried it, and it is touching the fret at 5/6. Touching most of the frets infact. Does this mean I have to alter the action or the truss rod?

Thanks

And Andrew, I can alter the action if needs be, cheers

Just raise the bridge. Forget about the truss rod, I take it back, don't touch it since I'd hate to see you break anything. blink.gif Raising the action does most of the trick. Adjusting the truss rod would add (quite) some tone but raising the bridge will do the trick even if the neck isn't 100% ok.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Climate
post May 11 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #6

Thanks a lot, appreciate it wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2017 - 02:11 PM