> Music And Martial Arts
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 19 2011, 07:28 PM
Post #21

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

Whoaa dude! I had no clue about this! So many things to discover! biggrin.gif can't wait to begin biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 19 2011, 05:33 PM) *
That looks so damn cool ! cool.gif

Seeing the guy draw his sword from the kneeling position reminded me.. in Karate (not sure if it's the same in other Japanese or Okinawan martial arts) we perform a kneeling bow.. we kneel with our left knee first and then our right until both our knees are on the ground. From there, we put our left hand on the floor first and then our right before bowing our head to the ground. Apparantly this is tradition from when people carried swords. They carried their swords strapped to their left side. By performing their customary bows, a person may be leaving himself vulnerable by lowering his head.. so he would lead with his left side, leaving his right hand free to draw his sword if he needed to. smile.gif

I'm not sure how true this is but it's cool nonetheless cool.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 19 2011, 07:59 PM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 19 2011, 09:40 AM) *
Wow, Ivan ! You're practically a master compared to us ! laugh.gif

Man, when I read it again, it sounds like bragging, but it wasn't mean to be biggrin.gif, just wanted to point out that I experienced enough of martial arts and it really helped me improve my body and spirit. I'm sure you're bigger expert them me in terms of martial arts tho, I saw that belt on FB. cool.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 19 2011, 08:00 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 19 2011, 08:00 PM
Post #23

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 19 2011, 06:59 PM) *
Man, when I read it again, it sounds like bragging, but it wasn't mean to be biggrin.gif, just wanted to point out that I experienced enough of martial arts and it really helped me improve my body and spirit. I'm sure you're bigger expert them me in terms of martial arts tho, I saw that belt on FB. cool.gif

biggrin.gif Big Ben Higgins!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
post Aug 19 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #24

Experienced Guitar Lord

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.185

All traditional Japanese martial arts are deep into sword-technique. They evolved from sword-fighting, and/or also they developed when carrying a sword and in fact any other weapon was limited to the samurai caste. Samurai caste had easier time in learning something more familiar, because as we know sword skills were most valuable. The second group of users had to overcome the lack of legal weapon - this is the origin of development of using whole body as weapon and creation of all those "fancy" weapons like tonfa/sticks/nunchaku. Many of them were just farmer tools, or modified tools.

What I also find fascinating about the whole thing, is the "normalization" of the martial art. Most of warriors were taught same stuff, just slightly different. This lead to development of "anti techniques" like ninjutsu, used by ninjas. These guys learned stuff created to "own" the traditional martial art, and it yielded remarkable results. Don't know if it is possible to understand what I try to say, but I find the whole concept very interesting tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 19 2011, 09:54 PM
Post #25

Instructor
Group Icon

Oh, yes Marek! I dig what you are saying biggrin.gif out of what I figured out so far, samurai were more traditionalist warriors who respected a certain code and somewhat rigid rules and ninjas were the pragmatic type, who used to want to survive so they used whatever technique, methods and means necessary to achieve a goal biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Aug 19 2011, 08:19 PM) *
All traditional Japanese martial arts are deep into sword-technique. They evolved from sword-fighting, and/or also they developed when carrying a sword and in fact any other weapon was limited to the samurai caste. Samurai caste had easier time in learning something more familiar, because as we know sword skills were most valuable. The second group of users had to overcome the lack of legal weapon - this is the origin of development of using whole body as weapon and creation of all those "fancy" weapons like tonfa/sticks/nunchaku. Many of them were just farmer tools, or modified tools.

What I also find fascinating about the whole thing, is the "normalization" of the martial art. Most of warriors were taught same stuff, just slightly different. This lead to development of "anti techniques" like ninjutsu, used by ninjas. These guys learned stuff created to "own" the traditional martial art, and it yielded remarkable results. Don't know if it is possible to understand what I try to say, but I find the whole concept very interesting tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
post Aug 19 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #26

Experienced Guitar Lord

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.185

Well there is some true in this, thats for sure. Japan was ultra strict about some things, to a point of "nonsense". Somewhere in the XIII century if I remember correctly Mongols launched two invasions on Japan (those two invasions were the biggest naval ones until landing in Normandy in WW II) and Japanese were totally unable to fight back. They were used that battles consisted of multiple one on one duels, and when they approached the Mongols to challenge them to single combat, they were just shoot down by archers sleep.gif If not for those huge storms, Japan would be conquered in few months by the better trained and armed Mongols. But the storms sunk both fleets, Japanese called those storms Kamikaze - "Godly Winds", said that the Gods protect Japan, and this event was a major contributor to Japanese idea that they are the chosen/best nation of the world. Funny how they could transform a moment of total humiliation into a founding stone of racism tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 19 2011, 10:19 PM
Post #27

Instructor
Group Icon

biggrin.gif I've heard about that story biggrin.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Aug 19 2011, 09:10 PM) *
Well there is some true in this, thats for sure. Japan was ultra strict about some things, to a point of "nonsense". Somewhere in the XIII century if I remember correctly Mongols launched two invasions on Japan (those two invasions were the biggest naval ones until landing in Normandy in WW II) and Japanese were totally unable to fight back. They were used that battles consisted of multiple one on one duels, and when they approached the Mongols to challenge them to single combat, they were just shoot down by archers sleep.gif If not for those huge storms, Japan would be conquered in few months by the better trained and armed Mongols. But the storms sunk both fleets, Japanese called those storms Kamikaze - "Godly Winds", said that the Gods protect Japan, and this event was a major contributor to Japanese idea that they are the chosen/best nation of the world. Funny how they could transform a moment of total humiliation into a founding stone of racism tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 20 2011, 09:22 AM
Post #28

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Wow, that's a cool story. Japan culture is awesome and intriguing smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 02:37 PM