> Alternative Recording Method?
Chris S.
post Aug 22 2011, 01:52 AM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 12.988

Hello,

I was wondering what your opinions are on an alternative recording interface.

Current Setup (don't laugh tongue.gif ):

Sing-Star USB mic'ing my Peavey Vypyr 30W into REAPER.

Now I hate the mic, and I prefer my Blackstar but the mic can't handle it, and I like REAPER.

I'm really looking for some type of USB 'plug-and-play' kind of system that I can use with REAPER like the Line 6 Studio w/ Pod Farm, except I feel it sounds over digitized based on the YouTube clips I have heard. I understand that recording with any similar USB system will in fact sound digital but I know there are better options out there.

Do you guys have any recommendations, I would really like something off of Sweet-Water's website or another site that offers a 3-month payment plan so I don't have to drop a lot of dough at once.

Thanks for always answering my questions.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 22 2011, 02:01 AM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

I think that a good option would be to get the Line 6 Pod HD. These new HD versions seem to sound much better than the previous one. I found good tests. I think that if you want something USB plug and play, the other option is the AXE ultra but it's too much expensive than Pod.
If you don't want to sound a bit "digital" maybe you could get a M-Audio Fast track Pro and a Shure Sm57 to mic your amp. That would be a good choice too.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Aug 22 2011, 02:11 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 22 2011, 01:01 AM) *
I think that a good option would be to get the Line 6 Pod HD. These new HD versions seem to sound much better than the previous one. I found good tests. I think that if you want something USB plug and play, the other option is the AXE ultra but it's too much expensive than Pod.
If you don't want to sound a bit "digital" maybe you could get a M-Audio Fast track Pro and a Shure Sm57 to mic your amp. That would be a good choice too.

The Axe Fx Ultra is out of my range at the moment - I'm more of a hobbyist when it comes to recording, but I am liking the POD HD, has a less digitized tone compared to the one L6 Studio I was looking at.

Thanks man.

biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 22 2011, 02:12 AM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Christopher Stortz @ Aug 21 2011, 10:11 PM) *
The Axe Fx Ultra is out of my range at the moment - I'm more of a hobbyist when it comes to recording, but I am liking the POD HD, has a less digitized tone compared to the one L6 Studio I was looking at.

Thanks man.

biggrin.gif

yes, it has more dynamics, I think that it is the best choice in that price range.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Aug 22 2011, 03:14 AM
Post #5

GMC:er

Member No.: 4.733

can you get a mic that can handle the amp

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Aug 22 2011, 10:29 AM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Yes, I agree with Gab, if you have money for POD HD500, it would be a good deal. There are many different tones available, and there it's in a form of a floor board, so you can always tap your foot when needed.

If your room space is limited tho, it would be good to consider software too. For that much money, you can get very good semi-pro audio interface with instrument input, and a decent software guitar emulator. Guitar software has really advanced, so GR4, Amplitube 3 and Peavey ReValver MKIII offer vast and quality array of tones, with some tweaking.

If you want to do down this path let us know. For now, POD HD500 seems like a perfect all-in-one solution for you if you are starting up with recording.

Regarding sounding digital, it will always sound digital if you use converters or interfaces. The only way you can get warmth is if you mic that cab.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Aug 22 2011, 07:20 PM
Post #7

Is there a considerable difference between the POD HD, POD HD300, POD HD400 and POD HD500?

I know the 300, 400 and 500 are floor interfaces with easier switching capabilities like you mentioned before.

I noticed on sweet-water that the 300HD is cheaper than the standard HD, the 400 is equally priced with the standard HD, and then the HD500 is an extra $100 dollars.

Is the difference features, or tone?

Thanks again, guys! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TylerT
post Aug 22 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #8

Guitar Hero

Member No.: 2.856

The POD HD's are an amazing choice! I have the X3 Live and have never regretted it.

The differences between the HD's are not a big deal if you are only using them for recording, they all have the same amp models/sounds.

But as an answer to your original post (if you dont want digital) try out this:

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/mic...-digital-bundle

I have one, and they are SO easy to use!

Heres a vid of me using it:

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Agile Interceptor Pro 725
- EBMM John Petrucci Signature
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
- Pod X3 Live

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 23 2011, 04:29 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

I struggled with the same things building my home studio. I eventually went away from using an actual Amp/Mic and went to
emulation for most things. It was a ROUGH transition. But it's great now. I started using Guitar Rig 4 and Reaper and recording
directly in to my interface coming out of my rack mounted Direct Box. That was the secret sauce.

I could never get good tone going direct. Then I added the active DI box and bingo. Wads of gain, dynamics, low noise, killer tone, etc. I"ve yet to go back to the amp even though I"ve got a bunch of nice mics. Don't get me wrong, I love amps, mics, LOUD signal, etc. But the control I can get over the sound is just impossible to match using my previous methods.

I"ve started a thread in my instructor forum just for this type of thing called EQUIPPING THE HOME STUDIO. Here is the link.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=35615

The direct box can be had used for about $100 via ebay or what not. Here are some pics. All of my gear is either second hand, or
clearance priced, or discontinued or what not. I really try to squeeze every penny out of my home studio budget.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 23 2011, 04:29 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

I struggled with the same things building my home studio. I eventually went away from using an actual Amp/Mic and went to
emulation for most things. It was a ROUGH transition. But it's great now. I started using Guitar Rig 4 and Reaper and recording
directly in to my interface coming out of my rack mounted Direct Box. That was the secret sauce.

I could never get good tone going direct. Then I added the active DI box and bingo. Wads of gain, dynamics, low noise, killer tone, etc. I"ve yet to go back to the amp even though I"ve got a bunch of nice mics. Don't get me wrong, I love amps, mics, LOUD signal, etc. But the control I can get over the sound is just impossible to match using my previous methods.

I"ve started a thread in my instructor forum just for this type of thing called EQUIPPING THE HOME STUDIO. Here is the link.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=35615

The direct box can be had used for about $100 via ebay or what not. Here are some pics. All of my gear is either second hand, or
clearance priced, or discontinued or what not. I really try to squeeze every penny out of my home studio budget.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
post Aug 23 2011, 05:25 AM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 7.730

QUOTE (TylerT @ Aug 22 2011, 03:19 PM) *
The POD HD's are an amazing choice! I have the X3 Live and have never regretted it.

The differences between the HD's are not a big deal if you are only using them for recording, they all have the same amp models/sounds.

But as an answer to your original post (if you dont want digital) try out this:

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/mic...-digital-bundle

I have one, and they are SO easy to use!

Heres a vid of me using it:

Out of topic, but i love your sound test, that ibanez cab rocks!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th January 2017 - 11:55 AM