MonkeyDAthos
post Aug 27 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 11.477

QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Aug 27 2011, 05:37 PM) *
you can make guitars out of any wood, ask jack white smile.gif

ahaha i saw that video, the guy is crazy.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
post Aug 27 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 7.730

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Aug 27 2011, 11:41 AM) *
ahaha i saw that video, the guy is crazy.

One of my new heroes!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Aug 27 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 4.733

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 27 2011, 07:39 AM) *
If there is some other ulterior motive to this raid, than yes, it is wrong and immoral. Politicians should not use their power to gain a political advantage over their opponents.

But why don't you care about endangered species of wood? If it weren't for conservation efforts, there would be no alder, no mahogany, or any other wood typically used for guitar construction available for guitar construction. Would you want to live in a world with no guitars made from these materials? I don't understand your logic. In fact, I'm not even sure if the word "logic" could be bestowed upon your position blink.gif So what is your plan for when these woods are no longer available? What do you find so reprehensible about preserving nature?

IT IS not that we find it reprehensible, it just does not make sense ,for example save the tree's but kill the babies- despite every scientist agreeing thar life begins at conception,lets look to corn for our fuel but the starving that is going on around the world,mostly in third world countries, so us Americans can feel good about saving the planet ( mid-east riots,somalia.south america and many others) because of corn prices skyrocketing is foolish .When did we get so arrogant that we think we could really have that much of an effect( short a a nuclear war ) on this rock that has been doing just fine for so long

QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 27 2011, 03:29 AM) *
Well, I see that the only individual presidential candidate the CEO has contributed to directly is a Creationist who does not believe that CO2 is causing global warming. I expect the CEO does not believe that deforestation in the tropics is a serious global problem with long term deleterious ramifications for mankind.

I consider it unlikely that Obama even knew about this, it would not have reached nearly to that level. That being said, I do know that the EPA for example has acted in a vindictive way in the past. This may have been such a move, or it might be justifiable to any conscientious person who cares about the future and future generations. We will have to wait and see. But I sure as heck am not taking what some CEO or some blogs with a political agenda try to preach too seriously.

many in the scientific community are changing their tune, as Co2 is a naturally occuring gas neccesary for the our existance
you can not say there is global warming until you can scienticfally determine what the perfect average temp.should be- feel free to p.m.me if you know what it is
many of these scientists get government grants ,so they need to continue to make washington happy or no more grants-while many have been caught fudging numbers, puting sensors at airport tarmacs ,the list goes on and on
, while the media in america turns a blind eye
and about Obama knowing-not personally , but there are consequences for policies
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...ns/1?csp=34news
in this there are over 49,000 pages of new regulations from the Obama Presidentcy and these are facts not feelings , I just can't help but wonder if the policy concerning the woods were a part of these

+Quote Post
kahall
post Aug 27 2011, 09:47 PM
Post #24

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.393

QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 26 2011, 09:29 PM) *
Well, I see that the only individual presidential candidate the CEO has contributed to directly is a Creationist who does not believe that CO2 is causing global warming. I expect the CEO does not believe that deforestation in the tropics is a serious global problem with long term deleterious ramifications for mankind.
[..]

I am assuming you are referring to Huckabee.
I am a Conservative: I'll start caring about what a candidate thinks about evolution/creationism if what a candidate thinks about creationism/evolution ever matters when it comes to being Pres.

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 27 2011, 01:39 AM) *
[..]
If it weren't for conservation efforts, there would be no alder, no mahogany, or any other wood typically used for guitar construction available for guitar construction.

Oh Boo Hoo! Don't care.

Would you want to live in a world with no guitars made from these materials?

Totally fine with it. Don't care.

I don't understand your logic. In fact, I'm not even sure if the word "logic" could be bestowed upon your position.

I don't care (marinate in my caring) whether or not you understand my logic or positions on anything. I'm posting here to inform, not for your approval or understanding. You will probably never understand my logic but that is not my fault. I am a conservative and care deeply about things that are actually important and I don't come to these conclusions based on emotions.

So what is your plan for when these woods are no longer available?

I care so little I don't have one.

What do you find so reprehensible about preserving nature?

I only find it reprehensible when it borders on tyranny. Obama's DOJ could have done an investigation, instead they went with a meth lab type raid.

Now for the updates.
Report: Gibson Competitor is Dem Donor; Uses Same Wood, Experienced No Federal Raids
C.F. Martin & Company. According to their catalog uses East Indian Rosewood. And In case you were wondering, that is the exact same wood in at least ten of Gibson’s guitars.

How to Turn Guitarists Into Tea Partiers: Take Their Gibsons Away.
Good news. TEA party people are cool.

Gibson Guitar chief denies wrongdoing after raids.
Juszkiewicz said the lost day of productivity could cost the company $1 million.
“What is more troubling is that the Justice Department’s position is that any guitar that we ship out of this facility is potentially obstruction of justice and will be followed with criminal charges,” said Juszkiewicz, who added later that he plans to defy the government and resume operations. “I have taken personal responsibility. I have instructed our staff to continue building product.”

Go pound sand he proclaims. I WOOD do the same.

This post has been edited by kahall: Aug 27 2011, 09:50 PM

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Aug 28 2011, 10:10 AM
Post #25

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 9.820

There's nothing like politics to seperate people who are normally friendly with each other huh.gif I hate to see people on this board at each other's throats so shall we move away from the heated political topics and respectfully accept that we might have different opinions from each other ? Don't wanna see you guys all fall out when you don't need to smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Aug 28 2011, 12:13 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 28 2011, 10:10 AM) *
There's nothing like politics to seperate people who are normally friendly with each other huh.gif I hate to see people on this board at each other's throats so shall we move away from the heated political topics and respectfully accept that we might have different opinions from each other ? Don't wanna see you guys all fall out when you don't need to smile.gif

don't worry ben, an adult can handle a good, even a heated disagreement
what troubles me is ,lets not talk about it so we can all get along attitude ,is just what all of our governments want
so they can get away with murder and the people will be silent
it might not be everyone's cup of tea
but it's a good thing

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Aug 29 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #27

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 10.329

QUOTE (kahall @ Aug 27 2011, 04:47 PM) *
Oh Boo Hoo! Don't care.

Totally fine with it. Don't care.

I don't care (marinate in my caring) whether or not you understand my logic or positions on anything. I'm posting here to inform, not for your approval or understanding. You will probably never understand my logic but that is not my fault. I am a conservative and care deeply about things that are actually important and I don't come to these conclusions based on emotions.

I care so little I don't have one.

You sound like the type of person that would consume a weeks worth of supplies in a single day on a seven day trek across the desert. Then when you're starving and dehydrated you would probably blame Obama for making the desert sun too hot.

You don't have to care about sustainability, thats your choice. Unfortunately for you there are other people on this planet that do care. Please don't tell me you don't know that other humans actually do live on this planet with you.

When I was a kid there was this boy who would always urinate in the swimming pool. Upon being informed that other people share the pool with him, he responded, "I don't care!" Last I heard he was running around with tea bags hanging from his hat.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Aug 29 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #28

please people.it seems that there is a shortage of facts and much emotions
the problem is when facts run out , emotional dribble never will, and only ends up badly for al.l
for this is where true colors and ideologies finally show through

+Quote Post
kahall
post Aug 31 2011, 04:02 AM
Post #29

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 28 2011, 06:38 PM) *
You sound like the type of person that would consume a weeks worth of supplies in a single day on a seven day trek across the desert. Then when you're starving and dehydrated you would probably blame Obama for making the desert sun too hot.

Your example of how I would consume all my food in one day is completely wrong. My survival would matter to me so that is something I WOULD care about and I would do everything I could to survive.

I kind of went out of my way to NOT blame Obama. I'm not some crazed hate spewing lefty like the ones that blamed Bush for everything during his reign and continue to do so to this day. He (Obama) might be aware of it now but I doubt he knew about the raids by armed federal agents before hand..
You don't have to care about sustainability, thats your choice.

Thanks for giving me that.
Unfortunately for you there are other people on this planet that do care.

I wouldn't go that far since I do care about the environment. You should see me when I'm out on one of my daily walks picking up all the trash people just throw out the window. I'm amazed at how many people still do it. I won't even throw a ciggy butt out the window and I love bottled water but come on people throw them in the trash. But there are not as many of these "other people" as you might think. Most won't admit it but they don't care as much as you think they do about the majority of the over reaching environmental laws. The problem is we are being ruled by the minority now.
Please don't tell me you don't know that other humans actually do live on this planet with you.

Since I see and interact with them everyday including here on the forum of course I'm aware. There just aren't that many people who care about some of these silly environmental laws/rules as we are led to beleive.
When I was a kid there was this boy who would always urinate in the swimming pool. Upon being informed that other people share the pool with him, he responded, "I don't care!" Last I heard he was running around with tea bags hanging from his hat.

That's a good story with one of the cleaner digs at the T.E.A. party I have seen. What's wrong with wearing tea bags hanging from your hat? It's still a free country isn't it? I've seen people wearing sillier things and guess what...I don't care.
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Aug 28 2011, 06:50 PM) *
[..}it seems that there is a shortage of facts [..]

That's true. The feds won't tell Gibson why they sent in armed federal agents and shut down 3 factories and their head quarters for over a day when other manufacturers are using the same wood from the same places.

I do have a dog in this fight...kind of. My wife has an online business where she sells items (walking siticks/canes) that are made of rosewood and imported from India. But this would upset me even if that were not the case. We don't make much off of walking sticks believe me.

There really aren't any new updates. I've heard a few good interviews with the CEO of Gibson but no new info really.
It’s also worth noting that the U.S. is a trivial/minor importer of rosewood from India and Madagascar. 95 percent of it goes to China. So, the whole “it’s for the trees” argument doesn't really hold up.

In the hmmmm department. Michelle Obama Gives French First Lady a Gibson Guitar. I have no idea what wood that guitar is made out of but I hope she doesn't get in trouble for importing that into France.

If you are on twitter and know how all that works the hashtag for this is #ThisWillNotStand. You can follow me at @kirkahall if you like as well. I would love to have you.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
kahall
post Sep 16 2011, 04:15 AM
Post #30

Learning Roadie

It's about time.
http://bit.ly/qGp40d
U.S. Justice Department officials have requested a meeting with Gibson Guitar owners next week, while in Congress lawmakers continue to ask why the factories and offices of the longtime manufacturer of prized guitars were raided on Aug. 24.

Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz said he will meet with federal officials in Nashville on Wednesday to discuss the raids. Juszkiewicz said he is unsure where the conversation will lead.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2017 - 09:18 AM