Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Being Professional And Doing What You Promise, or not...
Saoirse O'Shea
post Sep 29 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #1

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

We got an unsolicited email at the mastering studio back at the start of August:

------------------------------------
X would like to offer an online mixing service to professional mastering houses such as yours, enabling you to reach the desired uncompromised master.

Having worked closely with a major mastering house in the UK, we know the problems associated with trying to source a correctly balanced mix. Our approach will radically improve not only the quality and consistency of mixes required for a great master, but will also free you of the hassle, time and cost associated with improving the quality of your clients mix.

X can take care of the mixing process for you, with a quick turnaround and a high quality result, and at a very competitive rate of £60* per track.

* £60 for a work containing a maximum of 40 tracks. Larger projects will incur an additional charge of £15 for every ten subsequent tracks.

We believe that our clients should have full confidence in the end result so for every new client we provide the first mix free of charge. You can also go to our Soundcloud page to hear some of our mixing work:

We will contact you in the next 5 days to discuss your requirements and how our service can help you.
---------------------------------------------

I've removed/changed the name of the company that is offering to do this and the mastering studio that they have already worked with.

Anyway there email really made me both laugh and also cry.

It makes me laugh that they think that a Soundcloud stream of their 'mixes' demonstrates anything. There's no 'before' and 'after' to compare the result and nothing that details what changes they did that the client wanted.

It makes me laugh that their Soundcloud page and website offer no real detail on equipment, experience and so on.

Makes me laugh that the only person named has actually got very little professional experience at mixing. He was a pro mixer for less than 18 months. Far less experience than the majority of my clients have but hey he can remix their work.

It makes me laugh that they offer to remix up to 40 tracks for £60 - so £1.50 a track. I really believe that they will take time and effort on each individual track for that price.

Or was it £60 per track as their email is contradictory? Makes me laugh that they don't make their own prices clear!

It makes me laugh that they think I, or my clients, would be happy to pay them to do work that the original mix engineer should do for free as a recall.

It makes me laugh that they think that I would send them my clients work to remix rather than that I discuss mixing issues directly with my clients.

It makes me laugh that they said they'd contact me in 5 days. Err I'm still waiting 2 months on guys wink.gif .

It makes me cry that a mastering studio used them. I really hope the mastering engineer had the permission of his client/s to do this. If he didn't then he has lost all credibility with me. If he did I'm still not impressed.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Sep 29 2011, 11:11 AM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

Not everyone is a professional. I try not to take it so seriously, but many times things get to me, just by looking how people act. Sometimes it's laughable, sometimes for crying, sometimes both, just like you say. I've made probably many of these errors myself, not being aware of it, but that's life, gotta learn at some point smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
post Sep 29 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 7.694

Yes, it's sad to see this. But probably the desperate financial situation he might be in leads him to act like this. Bad for them that they came across someone who's actually working on this as a professional. Maybe it wouldn't be bad for them to let them know your opinion?

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Sep 29 2011, 04:13 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

Hmmm, no matter what the guy's intentions (although it's pretty clear that it's jumping on the bandwagon of offering online services for cheap money) there's no substitue for experience.

It's a bit like when you see people come along and they either want to learn something in 5 mins, or somebody claims to be able to teach a complete system of something in a very short time. It demeans the efforts and dedication of people who have actually taken the time to learn how to do something.. and do it well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 29 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

This is a very unprofessional mail and offer... I think that only an unprofessional Mastering studio could accept and use this service....

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Sep 29 2011, 05:15 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Just to add -

We're in a slightly odd position as one of our clients uses both us and the mastering studio that this guy names.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 29 2011, 05:21 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 29 2011, 01:15 PM) *
Just to add -

We're in a slightly odd position as one of our clients uses both us and the mastering studio that this guy names.

uhh that's a very difficult situation.. I would comment this to the client..

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
post Sep 29 2011, 10:05 PM
Post #8

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 10.312

It's not these guys is it? This just came up in a forum discussion on a site I frequent:

http://soundcloud.com/behrland-audioworks/...l-tape-punch-up

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
post Sep 30 2011, 01:13 AM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 7.730

that looks CHEAPO biggrin.gif
don't worry about those guys dude, just keep your business out of their reach smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Sep 30 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Sep 29 2011, 10:05 PM) *
It's not these guys is it? This just came up in a forum discussion on a site I frequent:

http://soundcloud.com/behrland-audioworks/...l-tape-punch-up

No it's not them Chris. Having said that they again gives no indication of equipment, etc beyond a couple of very vague claims.

How he presents his A/B mix/master to compare is not a fair comparison though. There are tons of sites on the internet though that do this iand in this way. We don't as we think it's misleading for clients and we also think there are issues to do with the client's performance rights/copyright and permissions.

Personally I also think it's unfair on a client to put up a before and after - the former is a work in progress and so of course contain issues. Does the client really want their fans and audience to hear those and judge them on those? Just my opinion though.

To do an A/B he should present both the pre and the master at the same perceived volume. A 'louder' track (i.e. the master) will nearly always sound 'better' to the majority of people. He also really should state what the mastering session was intended to achieve: if you don't know what the client wanted how can you make any assessment of how well the mastering achieved it?

Streamed audio on Soundcloud (and anywhere on the internet) really isn't good enough to check a master anyway. In fact it can introduce issues that are not part of the original uncompressed audio because of the transcoding and potential for cascading and distortion, etc.

Gab - we haven't said anything to the client for lots of reasons...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 08:14 PM