Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 7/8 Time Signature Lesson, I made this for my YouTube students
thefireball
post Dec 4 2011, 01:30 AM
Post #1

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 9.801

I thought I would share this with you all. hehe Kinda feel inadequate with the pro instructors here, but I do what I can for my YouTubers. It's funny for them to call me teacher or their guitar idol when they message me. happy.gif I have a series I started a while back. Basically, I just love teaching people what I know. I think this is the first lesson I've done that I'm most satisified in preparation.

Today we will explore the odd time signature 7/8. This time signature has one less beat than 4/4. I like to count it 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3 ... But some like to count to seven. If so, then count it as "sev" on 7 so that you easily count it as one beat.

This is an original composition I am working on. Yeah, I'm working on a lot of originals as of late and not finishing them. But I hope this will be finished before too long. Anyway, enjoy, learn, and check out the links below. wink.gif

The guitar teacher that inspired me to write a song in 7/8 time was Gregory Bolomey. He is known as "AxeOfCreation." Check him out:
http://axeofcreation.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/axeofcreation
(He's free, so there's no competition issues. wink.gif )

The tone of my guitar is made in POD Farm. You can download the tone here: http://line6.com/customtone/tone/216073/
Basically you want a lot of mids and treble if you want the djenty tone. Let the bass guitar do the filling in.

Download the backing tracks for this lesson in different speeds used in the demonstration. The bass is excluded so you can play in any tuning. https://rapidshare.com/files/371315973/7_8_..._course_bts.zip

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Dec 4 2011, 04:17 AM
Post #2

Learning Roadie

Hey, btw, a YouTuber commented:

hear me out, your wrist is bent. make sure your thumb and middle finger are parallel and wrist straight. This gives you MORE strength (it'll make fretting way easier, not to mention chords!) and dexterity, equally more control. Loved the clip, hope to hear some more djenty grooves.

So what do you think of this? Maybe someone can clarify? I thought having your thumb more hidden behind the neck (almost to the classical position) was a good thing? Or am I doing it wrong?

--------------------

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
post Dec 4 2011, 08:05 AM
Post #3

Tone Seeker

Member No.: 4.519

Nice lesson btw. I need to check out also those odd timings !

But hey you should use a mic when doing spoken lessons. Now there's a lot of hissing in the backround.

QUOTE (thefireball @ Dec 4 2011, 07:17 AM) *
Hey, btw, a YouTuber commented:

hear me out, your wrist is bent. make sure your thumb and middle finger are parallel and wrist straight. This gives you MORE strength (it'll make fretting way easier, not to mention chords!) and dexterity, equally more control. Loved the clip, hope to hear some more djenty grooves.

So what do you think of this? Maybe someone can clarify? I thought having your thumb more hidden behind the neck (almost to the classical position) was a good thing? Or am I doing it wrong?

I think he was trying to say that your wrist is kinda hook' ed around the guitar neck. Your finger should only bend, not wrist. Maybe this helps. smile.gif

EDIT: I was looking my videos and realised that I sometimes hook my wrist too. I need to fix it laugh.gif

This post has been edited by WeePee: Dec 4 2011, 08:09 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Dec 4 2011, 03:08 PM
Post #4

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (WeePee @ Dec 4 2011, 01:05 AM) *
Nice lesson btw. I need to check out also those odd timings !

But hey you should use a mic when doing spoken lessons. Now there's a lot of hissing in the backround.

I think he was trying to say that your wrist is kinda hook' ed around the guitar neck. Your finger should only bend, not wrist. Maybe this helps. smile.gif

EDIT: I was looking my videos and realised that I sometimes hook my wrist too. I need to fix it laugh.gif

Thank you for that. I hope to get a mic soon. smile.gif Or maybe when I get an HD camera the mic will be better. I'll try not to hook the wrist then. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Dec 4 2011, 03:45 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

Great job mate, very well done lesson. I think everything is pretty cool, and explanations are very clear. Should be very useful! smile.gif Keep rocking these! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 4 2011, 04:41 PM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

Nicely done and explained Brandon!

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Dec 4 2011, 11:04 PM
Post #7

Learning Roadie

Thanks guys! I've learned so much from GMC. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
post Dec 5 2011, 03:46 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 7.694

this is great! thanks for that man!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
post Dec 5 2011, 03:46 PM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 6.085

Interestingly counting! I did a lesson with 7/8 rhythm of the Balkan, counting is a little different - 1,2,3,/ 1,2/ 1,2/ !
Will be published soon smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Dec 5 2011, 04:34 PM
Post #10

Learning Roadie

Thanks again, guys. Yeah, somebody on YouTube said he likes to count that way too Sinisa. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2017 - 05:31 PM