> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Beginner's Corner 14: Minor Pentatonic Scale, Lesson By Bear Rose
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 1 ] ** [20.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 4 ] ** [80.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 5

JTaylor
Dec 21 2011, 11:27 PM
Apprentice Roadie
Original lesson: Beginner's Corner 14: Minor Pentatonic Scale by Bear Rose

Try not to laugh too hard! : ) I am looking for instructors to see if they can tell me what I am doing wrong because I just can't seem to get this down. Terrifying playing in front of anyone (or a camera). Thanks for your help and sorry for the poor sound quality....Windows 7 does not support the version of Movie Maker in Ivan's tutorial.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 22 2011, 10:49 AM
Instructor
Hey this is not bad at all so don't put yourself down.. at least you're actually doing it !!

Ok, your main problem seems to me like you're just falling a little bit behind the beat, that's all. This is nothing major (bad muic joke !) to sort out. smile.gif

In the second half of the video is where your difficulty lies. The phrase is made up of two slower notes, and then 3 16th notes. Those 3 16th notes need to happen quicker than the 2 beginning noes. You start off ok on the E and A strings with that phrase.. but you start to lag behind a little from there onwards. The bit you play at 0:34 is how you want it to sound. If you can get the others sounding more like that you're on the home straight.

Just concentrate on the timing of the notes... keep listening to Bear if you need to.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 22 2011, 02:36 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! Follow Ben's advice and everything will be just fine! Another approach you could use, would be to try and tap your foot to the ground as a metronome and in the same time, tap each note on a table with your finger - the idea is to manage to internalize the rhythmic connection between the metronome and the notes, without being distracted by the fact that you have to pay attention to where you will place your fingers.

After you have understood the rhythmic phrasing of the notes, you can go on and play them on the neck of the guitar! It'll MUCH easier! biggrin.gif

cheerios and all the best

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 22 2011, 05:56 PM
Instructor
This is actually very good, you're getting there. Don't be discouraged, you probably couldn't play it 2 weeks ago! And here it is, the whole pattern up and down. Keep rocking, it will be OK. Be very precise, and practice on slow tempos. It will be OK.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 22 2011, 10:50 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
*bump*

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Dec 24 2011, 12:00 AM
Instructor
Yeah ,try it at slower tempo, knows to be very tedious and boring, but there is no substitute for exercise smile.gif !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 27 2011, 09:59 PM
Instructor
The advice the guys have told you are very good, I would add that you need to hit the strings harder. Exaggerate at first to get the hang of it. Just as a experiment try to lose the fear of hitting the strings.

After work on timing, but youll see it's much easier

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 3 2012, 06:27 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
nice attempt man. 6.6 on this one. With the instructor feedback, i'm sure you will pass this one on your next take.

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:22 AM