> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Closed TopicStart new topic
> (pass 8)blues Solo In D, Lesson By Ivan Milenkovic
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3
post Dec 29 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.392

Original lesson: Blues Solo in D by Ivan Milenkovic

First recording effort. I know the sound ain't great but I'm not to good with computers so this was done with a HD cam.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Dec 30 2011, 04:46 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

Well played, you managed to keep it within the groove nicely, and do some cool bends. The issue is mostly about those pauses between the notes, and timing on certain phrases. You should be able to create more flow with your phrases, so the pauses between the notes are as small as possible. This will already be major improvement. You know where to fret, now it's time to refine it on slow tempo.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Dec 30 2011, 04:47 PM

- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Dec 31 2011, 11:27 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

Just like Ivan said.. very well played. smile.gif I agree with him about improving timing on the phrases to make them sound more natural and flowing. To be honest, there's no 'right' way of doing this.. it just comes naturally with time spent doing it. You're not doing anything 'wrong', put it that way smile.gif

Your fretting hand seems a little rigid.. it looks like it could do with a dose of freedom in the form of a more relaxed hand angle and a more confident vibrato. Try treating your vibrato like you perform your bends.. use the wrist and not the fingers to perform the motion. The fingers are the point of contact with the string but the strength and power of the movement come from the wrist in harmony with the forearm.

Try this: Pick a note on the G string and imagine that you are going to bend the string.. but bend it down towards the floor and kind of away from you, towards the headstock.. so in essence it would be as if your thumb side is coming in towards you and your little finger is going out away from you. Now release the string back into pitch, but keeping your fingers where they are, in control of the string. Now Try doing this again but put 2 bends together.. then 3.. this is essentially what vibrato is. Just a series of controlled bends. You can experiment with different pitches.. try a semitone, then a whole tone. This is how you get wider vibrato. smile.gif

It also works when you direct the string upwards, as you would a normal bend but I only recommend this for the B & E strings, because their location on the fretboard make it impractical to do vibrato 'down'. I hope this helps a little smile.gif

All in all, a good positive take !

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Dec 31 2011, 11:27 AM

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
post Jan 3 2012, 02:05 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 6.085

Good take ! You got a very useful tips above, so I have nothing particular to add, except perhaps to underline - try to exercise at a slower tempo in order to get the fluidity . Good job smile.gif

+Quote Post
post Jan 3 2012, 06:44 PM
Post #5

Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.374

8 (pass)

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2016 - 01:30 AM