Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stand Vs Sit...
ygro
post Jan 9 2012, 01:50 PM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.675

I found that is more difficult to make lessons stand, normally I sit in my chair and all is easier than stand... I´ve decided to do most of the lessons in this position because One day I will need to stand...

You can´t see the positions with clarity and it makes more difficult and funny... but sometimes I am frustrated... sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

This post has been edited by ygro: Jan 9 2012, 01:50 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 9 2012, 02:24 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

It's a good decision because you will be standing when you play live...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
post Jan 9 2012, 02:25 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 6.085

You're right man, standing position is much harder! The best way is to fix guitar strap in the position that suits you best. I know that sometimes it isn't rock attitude smile.gif ,but look at Petrucci posture.. who cares about biggrin.gif !

--------------------

+Quote Post
ygro
post Jan 9 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jan 9 2012, 02:25 PM) *
You're right man, standing position is much harder! The best way is to fix guitar strap in the position that suits you best. I know that sometimes it isn't rock attitude smile.gif ,but look at Petrucci posture.. who cares about biggrin.gif !

Honestly I don´t care if other guitarrists see me with the guitar in my chest and start to laugh laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif I want to improve my style and I think this is a good way to do it... but it´s sooooooo difficult play guitar stand... only with electric of course (and maybe acoustic for rhythm)
thanks both and sorry for the primitive english wink.gif wink.gif

This post has been edited by ygro: Jan 9 2012, 02:44 PM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Jan 9 2012, 03:23 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

I started to practice standing up about a year ago and it has helped me a lot. One main benefit of doing it is that you're shoulders and arms can stay more relaxed because of gravity. When you sit, it can be very easy to tense up.

It took me a while to get used to it but the more you do something, the more normal it becomes smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 9 2012, 03:37 PM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

Look at Tom Morello (Rage against the machine/ Audioslave) biggrin.gif he is way cooler than Petrucci even if he wears his guitar like a bow tie biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Jan 9 2012, 03:57 PM
Post #7

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 9.801

Sometimes when I'm recording very tight thrash rhythms (such as a song I'm working on calls for it), I switch to classical position briefly. At least until I get loosened up again. I prefer sitting, but it just looks so sissy. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jan 9 2012, 05:54 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

It's not that difficult to get used to placing your guitar low either, just gotta get used to it. It's good to place it somewhere close to what you used for sitting at first, and then gradually lower it down. And yes, you should practice standing up, it's how you play live and more natural pose anyway.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
post Jan 9 2012, 06:21 PM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 14.398

I have been in your shoes! It was a very hard thing for me to stand up and play!
try adjusting your strap put it higher and when you will get comfortable just lower it little by little
and make sure you don't feel any tension!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
post Jan 9 2012, 07:57 PM
Post #10

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 10.312

Yes - you come realize quickly that if you're a dot reader sitting down, those dots are not visible when standing up! you have to adjust to reading the dots on the edge of your neck if you need them, so not only do you lose the comfort of your chair, but also the comfort of seeing dots, and how you hold your pick, and how you mute your strings! - the world changes a bit once you start standing up, so you should practice standing up as much as you can!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
ztevie
post Jan 9 2012, 09:09 PM
Post #11

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 4.557

I would have standing up as a separate exercise of it's own. Think about it, when practicing scales, licks, songs etc. you can sit for hours. Is it really practical standing for so long, especially if you're learning new stuff?
Learn new stuff sitting down, then get up and play what you've learned just to practice standing.

But to have a habit standing up all the time? Good luck to you if you have that discipline, I admire you... smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master , Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* ESP Eclipse CTM1 , Bridge EMG 81, Neck EMG 60
* Peavey Vandenberg 2nd Edition , Bridge Tom Anderson HN3, Neck DiMarzio Chopper
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars , Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

+Quote Post
ygro
post Jan 9 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (ztevie @ Jan 9 2012, 09:09 PM) *
I would have standing up as a separate exercise of it's own. Think about it, when practicing scales, licks, songs etc. you can sit for hours. Is it really practical standing for so long, especially if you're learning new stuff?
Learn new stuff sitting down, then get up and play what you've learned just to practice standing.

But to have a habit standing up all the time? Good luck to you if you have that discipline, I admire you... smile.gif

no, standing up all the time no.... first learn lesson sit down of course and then stand up and make it!!! I only said that I hope that my rec lessons will be stand up!!!
wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jan 9 2012, 07:57 PM) *
Yes - you come realize quickly that if you're a dot reader sitting down, those dots are not visible when standing up! you have to adjust to reading the dots on the edge of your neck if you need them, so not only do you lose the comfort of your chair, but also the comfort of seeing dots, and how you hold your pick, and how you mute your strings! - the world changes a bit once you start standing up, so you should practice standing up as much as you can!

+1 totally agree

+Quote Post
superize
post Jan 9 2012, 10:01 PM
Post #13

Ultimate Tone Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.410

Playing standing is alot harder but if you plan to play in a band practicing standing up is very important. I really wish i would have played more standing up before i joined a band but thats just something i learn over time.

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
ztevie
post Jan 10 2012, 12:10 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 4.557

QUOTE (ygro @ Jan 9 2012, 09:42 PM) *
no, standing up all the time no.... first learn lesson sit down of course and then stand up and make it!!! I only said that I hope that my rec lessons will be stand up!!!
wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

OK, haha... I got the image in my head you'll be standing up ALL the time when practicing.

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master , Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* ESP Eclipse CTM1 , Bridge EMG 81, Neck EMG 60
* Peavey Vandenberg 2nd Edition , Bridge Tom Anderson HN3, Neck DiMarzio Chopper
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars , Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
post Jan 10 2012, 02:14 AM
Post #15

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 7.694

You have to find your sweet spot, mine is when my guitar's highest point is just over my chest,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 10 2012, 05:09 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

QUICK TIP: Set your guitar strap so that your guitar is in the same place on your chest sitting and standing. Ideally, your guitar position should remain consistent. Otherwise, you have to sort of learn to play everything twice. Once for sitting and once for standing.

Todd

QUOTE (ygro @ Jan 9 2012, 07:50 AM) *
I found that is more difficult to make lessons stand, normally I sit in my chair and all is easier than stand... I´ve decided to do most of the lessons in this position because One day I will need to stand...

You can´t see the positions with clarity and it makes more difficult and funny... but sometimes I am frustrated... sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 10 2012, 08:36 AM
Post #17

Instructor
Group Icon

When I play with my bands, I keep my axe pretty low and when I perform with the orchestra, I usually raise it substantially because of the awkward positions I have to put my hands in while playing classical music.

I always study my parts standing because that's how I perform on stage and usually I think about all the key elements in the songs and what will happen there during the show. I need to adjust my playing to that as well - i.e. when we're having a breakdown I have to move A LOT and I study this at home in front of a mirror biggrin.gif as silly as it may sound (I have big windows and sometimes, my neighbors look a little puzzled when they notice me practicing stage stuff while playing in the studio)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
post Jan 10 2012, 06:10 PM
Post #18

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 14.398

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 10 2012, 07:36 AM) *
When I play with my bands, I keep my axe pretty low and when I perform with the orchestra, I usually raise it substantially because of the awkward positions I have to put my hands in while playing classical music.

I always study my parts standing because that's how I perform on stage and usually I think about all the key elements in the songs and what will happen there during the show. I need to adjust my playing to that as well - i.e. when we're having a breakdown I have to move A LOT and I study this at home in front of a mirror biggrin.gif as silly as it may sound (I have big windows and sometimes, my neighbors look a little puzzled when they notice me practicing stage stuff while playing in the studio)

This is a great way to do it!!! Great advice!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 12 2012, 10:47 AM
Post #19

Instructor
Group Icon

Thanks Alex!

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
post Jan 12 2012, 10:53 AM
Post #20

Veteran Guitar Lord

Member No.: 7.127

Inspire from Slash.. whenever there is a fast solo going, he just tilts his guitar.. looks stylish and much easier to play than putting it way down (for slow/rhythms). smile.gif and that looks rocker attitude!!

This post has been edited by maharzan: Jan 12 2012, 10:54 AM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2017 - 02:35 PM