2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Not Quite A "rec" Vid, But Need Feedback...., My attempt at Muris' "Country Picking Advanced"
derper
Jan 17 2012, 03:59 AM
Learning Tone Master
Not sure if I'm using the "insert youtube" panel correctly, but here it goes....

Hope that works. Anyway, I posted this as my first "REC" attempt, but it doesn't qualify because it's not up to full speed. Also, I am not able to actually respond to instructor's comments in REC, so I'm hoping a few instructors may comment here instead, so I can ask a question or two. wink.gif

First question.... Ivan mention the "micro-pauses" between notes. I'm not sure exactly what he's referring to. Of course, my timing could be improved (especially near the end of the run, where I start to make some mistakes) but I still am not sure exactly what a "micro-pause" is, or where I'm doing it. Is it just a slight "hesitation" between notes?

Also, ALL of the instructors mentioned that my picking hand is making too big of a picking motion. I totally agree, and never really looked at my picking hand technique, since I USED to think it was my strong-point!! Oops!! Anyway, I'm trying to cut that down a bit. BUT, I also have a bit of a picking hand-thumb "disability". That top thumb joint can't really grip hard on it's own, so I end up having to use a dunlop sharp pick (sharper, longer "point") and grip it hard between my index finger and middle thumb joint (well, the ONLY thumb joint!!) so that the pick doesn't fly out of my hand. Bummer, but at least I still have all the fingers!! It's no "excuse" for bad form, but it can add some difficulty to getting "proper" picking hand technique. I think I took Muris' suggestion to "pick hard, for tone" a bit too far, and ended up doing those big/wild/sloppy picking strokes. Man, I LOVE GMC!! You guys are really helping to "tune-up" my technique!!

Other than that, the vid is FAR from perfect. Not sure if I'll ever get it to the 155bpm "full-muris" speed!! But I'll keep trying.
Thanks all!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 17 2012, 06:28 PM
Instructor
Hi, this is a good idea to post the video here too so at least we can all talk freely back and forth smile.gif

Yes, you're right about the slight hesitation between notes, what Ivan called 'micro pauses'. It's mainly just because you're concentrating hard on just playing the correct notes, so you're not fully relaxed with the piece yet which sometimes means that the notes get cut off a bit shorter because you're already thinking about the next note etc.. things like that. It's nothing bad, it will improve on its own as you get better.

For your picking hand, have you tried picking with a softer approach. When I play for real I can pick quite hard when I get into the groove of things.. but when I practice picking licks I always pick as softly as I can (which is hard when you start speeding up) to train my body to learn the correct technique without tension.

I also hold my pick quite gently... you'll be surprised by how little pressure you need to keep the pick in place. I don't keep my thumb stiff at all, I just let it do what it wants to do which leaves it being more relaxed too.

There will be times when you want to pick harder but it's also beneficial to practice so you can always pick everything you need to with as little pressure as possible. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
derper
Jan 17 2012, 07:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks Ben!! I'll certainly try practicing a bit more relaxed, and with lighter picking. I really appreciate the suggestion. As mentioned, I think I took Muris' advice about "picking harder for tone...." a bit too seriously. Obviously, it can help achieve the end result, but may not make for the best practice regimine whilst getting the riff up to speed. Again....THANKS Ben!!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jan 17 2012, 08:47 PM
Instructor
Man!! Sounds really good! You definitely getting your country chops down!
I couldn't hear backing track well enough but the rest was great!!! Good job!

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jan 17 2012, 09:00 PM
Instructor
The first thing I noticed is that your hand floating over the strings - forearm is the backbone and partly a wrist! I think you'll have difficulty with this technique during the fast parts. Moving whole arm up and down is the technique of playing rhythm.For playing solo try to fix edge of your palm, as the backbone, to the bridge, and then just shift the wrist,that's much more accurate and stable !

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Jan 17 2012, 09:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jan 17 2012, 07:47 PM) *
Man!! Sounds really good! You definitely getting your country chops down!
I couldn't hear backing track well enough but the rest was great!!! Good job!

I just noticed that, about the backing track. It came through more on the original source vid. Next time I'll crank up the backing track and turn the guitar down a bit.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jan 17 2012, 09:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Jan 17 2012, 08:30 PM) *
I just noticed that, about the backing track. It came through more on the original source vid. Next time I'll crank up the backing track and turn the guitar down a bit.

Sounds good!!! I am looking forward to hear more!!!

+Quote Post
derper
Jan 17 2012, 09:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jan 17 2012, 08:00 PM) *
The first thing I noticed is that your hand floating over the strings - forearm is the backbone and partly a wrist! I think you'll have difficulty with this technique during the fast parts. Moving whole arm up and down is the technique of playing rhythm.For playing solo try to fix edge of your palm, as the backbone, to the bridge, and then just shift the wrist,that's much more accurate and stable !

Thanks so much Sinisia!! I will certainly try that!! Maybe I'll even post a "re-take" to see if I'm improving yet. I think I am!!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 17 2012, 10:51 PM
Instructor
This is certainly improvement from the last take, well done! smile.gif Yes, you're right, I was talking about those small "gaps" between the notes. Bare in mind that, as you go up to speed, they become longer and longer, and they should be smaller and smaller.

Other important thing is the picking hand. Your picking hand is better, but I believe that you should work on a bit slower tempos in order to get the timing right. Guys already made some great examples, so I might add that it would be more practical to record a bit more slower tempo so you have time to think about the way you pick.

Your picking is good, but you need to make those movements even shorter, you're spending too much energy on them.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
derper
Jan 18 2012, 12:48 AM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks Ivan!! Your feedback is always appreciated. I didn't know everything about the "REC" format, so I should have just posted here originally. Oh well, live and learn.

Here's a take from today.

Still trying to make the picking hand motions smaller, but it's not coming along yet. I still tend to have a "sloppy" stroke for my best take. Also, I haven't practiced on this a ton, but got a little time so took another quick vid (tried to get backing track louder!!). Still "sloppy" but it helps me to see what I'm doing. Still very new here, so focusing on the small stuff is new to me. I picked this piece because I wanted to learn the applications behind it, not that I thought I could get it full speed. I'll move on to something I can actually tackle full-speed very soon. But this one is too much fun, and a huge challenge/workout!!

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 17 2012, 09:51 PM) *
This is certainly improvement from the last take, well done! smile.gif Yes, you're right, I was talking about those small "gaps" between the notes. Bare in mind that, as you go up to speed, they become longer and longer, and they should be smaller and smaller.

Other important thing is the picking hand. Your picking hand is better, but I believe that you should work on a bit slower tempos in order to get the timing right. Guys already made some great examples, so I might add that it would be more practical to record a bit more slower tempo so you have time to think about the way you pick.

Your picking is good, but you need to make those movements even shorter, you're spending too much energy on them.

Also worth noting....I changed pickup positions to get closer to the "Muris-Tone". I'd actually use the bridge pickup for the punchier, twangier tone (as the first vid) in real life, but this tone is cleaner and helps me to focus more on the technique.

wink.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 18 2012, 10:41 AM
Instructor
Hey, your performance of the tune itself is pretty good smile.gif We just need to get your picking hand position a little more comfortable and then you're ready !

Have a look at this thread.. we've shared photos of our picking hand positions. You can see how we rest the outer edge of our hand on the area just in front of the bridge. You can still do this whilst keeping your fingers closed in like a fist, that's no problem. Just rest the side of the hand on the strings. This will help mute any strings that you don't want to ring out.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=42505

Also, I noticed that wearing the guitar really low doesn't help your hand position. Try bringing the guitar a bit higher so it's easier for you to bring your picking hand closer to the strings and bridge area. Another thing to look at is this: If your picking hand is as high as it is above the strings, is your shoulder also hunched up towards the side of your head ? Check this to make sure you're not doing that as well.. consciously drop your shoulders and let them relax as far as they will and then work on placing your hand smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 18 2012, 11:06 AM
Instructor
P.S. I've just watched a video that Dark Dude sent me.. it shows John Petrucci's picking position up close. Most of our picking hands look something like this, even if the little finger is planted on the body or not. I hope it helps

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/Excl...itar-23960.aspx

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jan 18 2012, 11:06 AM

+Quote Post
derper
Jan 19 2012, 02:45 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 18 2012, 09:41 AM) *
. Another thing to look at is this: If your picking hand is as high as it is above the strings, is your shoulder also hunched up towards the side of your head ? Check this to make sure you're not doing that as well.. consciously drop your shoulders and let them relax as far as they will and then work on placing your hand smile.gif

Pretty sure I do tend to "hunch" and lift the shoulders too much. Both when playing guitar, and in everyday life. Thanks!! I'll certainly pay a bit more attention to that, and try to improve. I'll play around with raising the guitar up a bit, but it's really not TOO low (aka, "greenday" low) in my opinion.....but I'm here to learn, and try new things. I'm not here to act like "the way I do it" is "right", so I'll give it a shot!!

Thanks again, to all!!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
derper
Jan 19 2012, 04:42 AM
Learning Tone Master
UPDATE!!! And a big thanks to all of the great instructors and feedback thus far!!! laugh.gif

So, I've only gotten to work on this for less than an hour today at work, but by focusing on my picking hand, picking hand placement, picking technique, shoulder posture, and pick grip.....I'm already seeing HUGE improvement on this riff!!! WOW!!!

Although I'm not new to guitar, I am new to GMC!! It's been great so far, and a huge thanks to the tireless instructors that make it all possible!!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
derper
Jan 19 2012, 09:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
I think I'll post a new vid today, and probably the last for this topic/thread, to show how much all the suggestions have helped!! It's difficult to "undo" all the old bad habits I have (wild pick strokes, hand hovering above strings, etc.,) but so far on this lesson I've been able to at least tone-down some of those bad habits already!! It really feels better playing with better form!

Anyway, I'll post a vid in the next few hours and let you be the judge(s)!!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jan 19 2012, 11:37 PM
Instructor
I'm glad if these tips helps, keep us updated wink.gif !

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Jan 20 2012, 02:39 AM
Learning Tone Master
Here's the latest....

I've tried to improve on my picking (keeping the strokes smaller, and more controlled) and also on right hand position. Other than that, I focused on cleaning up the runs through the second half of the piece as well, which were the toughest for me.

I'll keep practicing this for a while, but will probably move on and focus on some other pieces for a while. Also, since I got so much great advice here, I want to submit a video in the "ask an instructor" section, to help get some more personal advice on technique.

Thanks so much to all the instructors for your advice!! I can't believe the difference, from the first vid to this last one!! Way cleaner, and now I have the ability to get to faster speeds....before, my picking was too sloppy to go beyond the 110bpm point!! tongue.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 20 2012, 09:58 AM
Instructor
Hey Man, this is really cool. It sounds much better already smile.gif

Were you filming this at work ?? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
derper
Jan 20 2012, 10:18 AM
Learning Tone Master
Yep, on the clock.....but if I'm not selling, I'm only making hourly wages. But if I'm not selling, I might as well be practicing!! wink.gif

Thanks Ben!! It really blew me away to watch this vid, versus the original take that started this thread. I think it's only been a week since then, with only an hour or so of solid practice on this run. But thanks to your (and the other instructors') advice, I was able to improve greatly with attention to the suggestions given. Thanks!!

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 20 2012, 08:58 AM) *
Hey Man, this is really cool. It sounds much better already smile.gif

Were you filming this at work ?? biggrin.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 20 2012, 10:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Jan 20 2012, 09:18 AM) *
Yep, on the clock.....but if I'm not selling, I'm only making hourly wages. But if I'm not selling, I might as well be practicing!! wink.gif

Thanks Ben!! It really blew me away to watch this vid, versus the original take that started this thread. I think it's only been a week since then, with only an hour or so of solid practice on this run. But thanks to your (and the other instructors') advice, I was able to improve greatly with attention to the suggestions given. Thanks!!

I love your dedication to guitar.. playing at work is the ultimate display of cool ! cool.gif

Please feel free to keep us updated with this and ask as many questions on this thread as you want.. it's one of the reasons this forum exists so take advantage of it as much as you can ! smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:58 PM