3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Advanced: Guitar Bushido
maharzan
Jan 27 2012, 06:17 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Ok I found it. I have to tweak my pinky position. So, if I try to rotate the pinky a bit and not position it as I do regularly, it seems to work. Need to practice quick adjustment of this and it should be good. Cheers!! My fingers are definitely stretching by now. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by maharzan: Jan 27 2012, 06:41 AM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 27 2012, 07:04 AM
GMC:er
Those are some serious chords! They sound great and they will force you to work on your stretch! It's easy to fall in to the habit of not working the pinky and the stretch but this is perfect for curing that!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 27 2012, 10:35 AM
Instructor
Hey Chandra and Rich.. Rich has got the right idea. When I get to the stretchy chords I lean my body into it more. You ever watch Joe Satriani when he's playing some crazy legato licks ? Notice how he sometimes leans into the guitar with his left shoulder to reach the notes better. That's what I do, when sitting or standing.

I also do as Rich is doing.. I'll lightly fret it, just stratching out the fingers to the right frets and I'll play about 10 or so reps of it. Then I'll rest. One thing I recommend is when you take a rest, never pull your hand back to normal from a stretched position too quickly, always do it slowly, at least until yor tendons get used to the stretch and then can contract and expand more efficiently.

I also had the same problem with my index finger not fretting the B string properly. When I'm practising it, I try to hold the correct position for as long as I can. When I feel the chord shape begin to deteriorate, that's a good time for a quick rest smile.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 27 2012, 03:03 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Yep, I am practicing those tips. Thanks Ben, very helpful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 27 2012, 05:45 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jan 27 2012, 05:05 AM) *
Hey Maharzan, this is a big stretch for sure, hard for me as well, it hurts laugh.gif basically I have just isolated the F#add9 and the G#add9 switching back and forth over and over trying to get the change smooth,also practicing the F#add9 to the Eadd11+ change. ( Hey Ben what does that + mean anyways?Is that Augmented?).Also you might try a classical guitar position, it may be better, maybe not . It seems a little easier for me if I keep my elbow in closer to my body when fretting that one, not sure if this is correct posture or not tho since I am mainly self taught but there it is for whatever its worth.Also I have been doing big stretches up there fretting index and pinky stretching as far as I can and running all the strings back and forth just to try and get a bit more stretched out and loose.
Oh one more thing is I have been taking plenty of breaks and shaking my hand out so I dont wreck it lol

When I try to fret this chord, I fret with index first, then with the pinky (to do the initial stretch), and then all other fingers. This makes my other fingers and the left fist tilt towards the neck (to the left side). It looks and feels a bit awkward but it's the only way for me to stretch all the fingers enough to play the chord. That or I'll get a knife biggrin.gif

One of my biggest problems is that my fingers are too "meaty", and sometimes they don't let all notes ring, but I've never really paid enough attention to that untill this lesson. So, this task was useful in so many ways! smile.gif

EDIT: Just had to add - This is the best and fastest warmup run I ever practiced! Now I know what to do before gigs to make my hands hot biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Jan 27 2012, 06:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 29 2012, 11:13 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Great.. still hurts when practicing that stretch and can't get the perfect ringing take yet. Hope I will be able to do in a day or two.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 29 2012, 11:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 27 2012, 04:45 PM) *
EDIT: Just had to add - This is the best and fastest warmup run I ever practiced! Now I know what to do before gigs to make my hands hot biggrin.gif

Excellent ! I'm really pleased to hear that. I've been running through it myself when I pick the guitar up too wink.gif

QUOTE (maharzan @ Jan 29 2012, 10:13 AM) *
Great.. still hurts when practicing that stretch and can't get the perfect ringing take yet. Hope I will be able to do in a day or two.

I remember that I had to practice the piece for about a week before I could record it ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 29 2012, 07:48 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 29 2012, 01:37 AM) *
Excellent ! I'm really pleased to hear that. I've been running through it myself when I pick the guitar up too wink.gif

I remember that I had to practice the piece for about a week before I could record it ! smile.gif

Whew now I dont feel so bad for taking so long in getting down whats supposed to be a level 3 lesson tongue.gif
I made a passable take yesturday but I am going to use the time I have left to get it closer to perfect.

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 30 2012, 12:21 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Alright, its freezing cold here (well, its been better) but suffering badly from cold, headaches. I have a hint of sickness coming to me. sad.gif So, the progress, I did get the stretcher chord correct but this take missed few notes, damn. When I get that correct, I miss other parts. I hate it. This is the best take I got this session and I just wanted to post it here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 30 2012, 03:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jan 30 2012, 11:21 AM) *
Alright, its freezing cold here (well, its been better) but suffering badly from cold, headaches. I have a hint of sickness coming to me. sad.gif So, the progress, I did get the stretcher chord correct but this take missed few notes, damn. When I get that correct, I miss other parts. I hate it. This is the best take I got this session and I just wanted to post it here.

All hail Chandra because this is excellent !! cool.gif

Seriously.. you did a fantastic job. Those occasional 'missed' notes are to be expected, you've only been playing it a week. You've totally got the shapes nailed and the picking pattern. How does your left hand feel now ? Considering the extra things you've asked of it with this task, 3 note per string licks should feel easy in comparison biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 30 2012, 03:56 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks Ben. Well, to start with I was having problems changing chords, weird shapes. I just know like basic chords/7ths. The stretch I have tried before involved 2nd and 4th finger, such as the POLICE every breath you take song and this involved 3rd and 4th fingers which was real challenge and that too on the 2nd fret. biggrin.gif My left hand feels more relaxed now. I was surprised I could do that stretch this morning after having so many mute/not reaching problems before. smile.gif More than that I think I tamed my right hand too. I have been doing too much 3nps or 2nps and it wasn't going 1nps AP. This did it.

BTW, I am already near mastering the intermediate assignment too. Hoping to record that before Wednesday. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 30 2012, 08:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jan 30 2012, 02:56 PM) *
Thanks Ben. Well, to start with I was having problems changing chords, weird shapes. I just know like basic chords/7ths. The stretch I have tried before involved 2nd and 4th finger, such as the POLICE every breath you take song and this involved 3rd and 4th fingers which was real challenge and that too on the 2nd fret. biggrin.gif My left hand feels more relaxed now. I was surprised I could do that stretch this morning after having so many mute/not reaching problems before. smile.gif More than that I think I tamed my right hand too. I have been doing too much 3nps or 2nps and it wasn't going 1nps AP. This did it.

BTW, I am already near mastering the intermediate assignment too. Hoping to record that before Wednesday. smile.gif

Awesome stuff ! Yeah, also check out the Police song 'Message in a Bottle' - it's got those lovely add9 chords in it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 31 2012, 03:19 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Here it is master Ben. I know it's far from perfect and there are areas which need improvement but I learned a lot while practicing this Task. smile.gif

The first day there was no way I could do that pinky stretch, but now I can do it a lot easier smile.gif It also improved my chord picking technique because I usually just used sweep picking for that. Lastly, it was a lot frustrating but I'm so glad to have learned this lesson, and I can't wait for the next Task! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Jan 31 2012, 03:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 31 2012, 03:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 31 2012, 02:19 PM) *
Here it is master Ben. I know it's far from perfect and there are areas which need improvement but I learned a lot while practicing this Task. smile.gif

The first day there was no way I could do that pinky stretch, but now I can do it a lot easier smile.gif It also improved my chord picking technique because I usually just used sweep picking for that. Lastly, it was a lot frustrating but I'm so glad to have learned this lesson, and I can't wait for the next Task! smile.gif

Hey Dinaga, this is really excellent ! I think you play it even better than me biggrin.gif Congratulations on completing your Task

However, that's some interesting sportswear that you are attired in. 100 pushups for that !! ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 31 2012, 04:25 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Awesome man! Very neat. love the tone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 31 2012, 04:35 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks guys! smile.gif Ben, I did the push-ups and I think I know how to avoid them on the next one. cool.gif
Maharzan, your take was really great! I wish my picking hand was relaxed as yours!

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Jan 31 2012, 04:35 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 31 2012, 04:39 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks Dinaga. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 31 2012, 07:41 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Great takes guys!! But now I feel I need to make another recording while sporting some winter gear, everyone looks like they are on their way out the door to hit the slopes! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 31 2012, 07:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jan 31 2012, 06:41 PM) *
Great takes guys!! But now I feel I need to make another recording while sporting some winter gear, everyone looks like they are on their way out the door to hit the slopes! biggrin.gif

Yeah I was gonna hit the video chat wearing swimming shorts and a vest.. but I wouldn't want to look 'weird' or anything.. wink.gif

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 1 2012, 07:47 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Ok Ben I have a couple takes neither of which is perfect and I am not sure which one is best so I will leave that for you to decide.
This lesson made me fight myself to play that alternate picking rather than a broken strum or sweep that I would usually play over the parts where there is no string skipping, the string skipping parts is where I would normally alternate pick. So I had to pay extra attention to that and fight the urge! biggrin.gif Also I did some alternate fingerings in this lesson which I am sure you will spot. wink.gif Thanks for the challenge man! Looking forward to the next task, something tells me we are going to step it up a notch but I am not really sure what this is all building up to ph34r.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:16 PM