Alex Feather
post Jan 29 2012, 08:24 AM
Post #1

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 14.398

Hey guys I wanted to talk about attack and touch
I know a lot of musicians who are hiding behind a wall of overdrive and distortion and don't really have a good touch
When you are listening AC/DC or SRV even Led Zeppelin they don't use too much gain most of the sound is coming from their hands!
So here is a few exercises I have been doing!
1) When you are playing any rock tune turn your distortion down and try to get it sound good you can even use a clean sound and challenge yourself to make it work!
2) Work on your dynamic this exercise is very simple all you have to do is to play the same melody in different dynamic range try to play really quite and than bring it up
Dynamic playing is very important and useful no matter what style of music you are playing!

I would love to hear your ideas about developing a good touch!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 29 2012, 11:33 AM
Post #2

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

I would like to add that I think that this, along with string bending - is one of the major things that sets the electric guitar apart from other instruments. So as a guitarist one would be foolish not to work on this!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jan 29 2012, 11:59 AM
Post #3

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jan 29 2012, 07:24 AM) *
1) When you are playing any rock tune turn your distortion down and try to get it sound good you can even use a clean sound and challenge yourself to make it work!

Very much this. It's amazing how some players think they have good legato but then you get them to play clean ohmy.gif ...

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
zoom
post Jan 29 2012, 12:04 PM
Post #4

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.403

Okay I never really thought to much about this. I guess I'm still trying to play the notes but I gonna give this a go. I'm working on a AC/DC solo at the moment. So I have up till now gone the distortion route. So is it more the right hand or left hand for dynamics?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jan 29 2012, 12:04 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

Practicing with different pick attacks can always be beneficial. This creates a good foundation. After that, player needs to have an idea on how to use different attacks during playing, which is a skill that is based on that foundation. When the solo kicks in, one must practice playing soft in some parts, playing louder in other parts, so that this skill can increase.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JaxN4
post Jan 29 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #6

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 13.200

I faced this issue when i attempted one of Johnathan Burgos' Lessons.... I just couldn't figure out how he got the notes to sound like he does... So i sat there and tried everything.... I found with this instance, alot had to do with pick angle and aggressiveness or lack of.... Made all the difference

--------------------
Washburn N4 Wenge
Washburn N5 AT-100

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 29 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

This advice is so good mate! I remember that when I recorded Cirse's first album, I have been playing metal (with lots of distortion) for many years but the producer decided to set a more rocker sound with much less distortion... at first I was very uncomfortable with the tone, I discovered that I had to play much stronger everything, and the palm muting and vibrato worked very different... at the same time, I started to feel that the sound was much more natural, I could feel my hands and the wood of the guitar.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Jan 30 2012, 01:59 AM
Post #8

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 9.801

I'm still working on this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
post Jan 30 2012, 07:27 PM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 14.398

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 29 2012, 06:20 PM) *
This advice is so good mate! I remember that when I recorded Cirse's first album, I have been playing metal (with lots of distortion) for many years but the producer decided to set a more rocker sound with much less distortion... at first I was very uncomfortable with the tone, I discovered that I had to play much stronger everything, and the palm muting and vibrato worked very different... at the same time, I started to feel that the sound was much more natural, I could feel my hands and the wood of the guitar.

I have been in this situation as well! I use to use way too much distortion and could play anything fast but when I got my first studio gig it changed everything because I got fired smile.gif so it made me realize that it happened because of my sound and I was hiding behind effects I had to re-learn everything and really work on my technique! I still do and still trying to develop!

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve-rec-freak
post Feb 1 2012, 11:02 PM
Post #10

GMC:er

Member No.: 4.296

Yes absolutely !

a couple of years ago I was hiding behind a wall of gain. " If it doesn't`t sound right get more gain and add delay" was my thinking biggrin.gif .
The good thing (I thought laugh.gif ) was, that this procedure was covering my lack of playing ability.
But I had a moment of clarity I want to share with you.

A couple of years ago I wanted to start recording some Songs. I had the material and the Equipment and I wanted to start hammering some cool metal riffs onto tape biggrin.gif . One Guitar on the left side of the stereo image - another one right.
But I couldn`t get to the sound I wanted. It was swabby - loose and not tight at all.

I started searching the Forums, believed that I had the wrong Equipment or so. But then I ran into some very nice Videos showing me how get the "Wall Of Sound" I always wanted to get. The key to this is Sound Layering. You play with as less gain as possible.
Maybe two to four guitar tracks on the left and right channels of the stereo image. If you play tight the signals will be additive to each other and sound way stronger. If you are not playing tight you will hear it immediately biggrin.gif. Thats what happened to me laugh.gif .
I started practicing again - literally from the beginning ohmy.gif . First couple of days it was frustrating, but as I made progress and succeeded with my recordings I knew that this must be the way. And it still is.

I play metal music for a long time now and have my Gain Settings NEVER above 12 o clock for rhythm guitars.
You will automatically develop a better feeling for the dynamic range of your instrument, because less gain means less compression of the amp and more tone out of your fingers.

cheers,

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2017 - 03:38 PM