> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Monkeydathos's Technique & Creative Concepts, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 15 2017, 02:58 PM
Post #101

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hey mate! You'll never regret all this hard work. Your playing will be affected forever thanks to this intensive training. It's good to have deadlines and the audition, but it's not the most relevant thing. Never forget the reason why you play guitar.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post May 17 2017, 11:08 AM
Post #102

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 11.477

Right!
Here an almost full play through..still need to learn just a few bars at the end, no biggy. and the tapping lick.

The bends and vibrato might be a bit meh! But not only do I suck at them, my left hand it's kinda tired to do them. Yesterday I could barely do and half-step bend. And there is a few missed notes.
wacko.gif

Do you happen to see any major issue? That might pass my more forgiven eyes.

And here's a session on the very last tapping lick.

The hardest part on this one, tbh, its the lack of easy access on my SG. But nothing I can't pull it off with practice.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: May 17 2017, 11:09 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 18 2017, 03:46 PM
Post #103

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate!

The song is progressing really well. It's a very difficult song and I can see that you already remember each lick and phrase. That's not a small thing. The things to improve now are related to expressing details. I would put some effort in fixing bending, improving vibrato, and focusing on tone and dynamics. This can be even more important than playing the song exactly as it's in the record. You can even make YOUR version and it will be great if you connect with more with those notes and phrases.

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post May 22 2017, 06:03 PM
Post #104

100% With you!
To be honest with you, I am kinda burnout, I think I may take a week off from Wonderful Slippery Thing. Regardless if I have it or no for the audition. It really doesn't matter.
After talking with some friends and what not. They suggested just be you and bring your own stuff, no point in over stressing. And I think I might just do that.

Actually I would like to focus on Bend and Vibrato for a bit. If there is a player that leaves in awe every time, when it comes to such playing. Is Marty Friedman!

So I decided to tackle Tornado of Soul' solo.
I am playing at 50% of the speed, really trying to focus on vibrato and bending more than anything.
What do you think about it.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 23 2017, 02:29 PM
Post #105

Instructor
Group Icon

Nice! I'm with you! This is a perfect solo. Go for it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post Jun 2 2017, 11:32 AM
Post #106

Hi Gab!
Haven't really practice much guitar as of late tbh. Been focusing a bit more in composing!

What you think! It's still a very young idea.

Update:

Decided to try and merge the idea from the creative workout.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jun 2 2017, 01:28 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 2 2017, 02:12 PM
Post #107

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate, this sounds promising. I would like to hear this with a better sound in order to get details and see if the overall structure works and keeps my attention. I think that the different parts sound good, but all the intro seems to be long in this video. That's why I would like to hear this one with a better tone, maybe recording it directly by line using an amp emulation. Is it possible?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post Jun 2 2017, 02:15 PM
Post #108

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 2 2017, 02:12 PM) *
Hi mate, this sounds promising. I would like to hear this with a better sound in order to get details and see if the overall structure works and keeps my attention. I think that the different parts sound good, but all the intro seems to be long in this video. That's why I would like to hear this one with a better tone, maybe recording it directly by line using an amp emulation. Is it possible?

I have to fix my interface. the USB port got loose from the main board, which makes my PC blue screen into oblivion. Need to solder it.
I will try once I have it fix.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 3 2017, 03:08 AM
Post #109

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jun 2 2017, 10:15 AM) *
I have to fix my interface. the USB port got loose from the main board, which makes my PC blue screen into oblivion. Need to solder it.
I will try once I have it fix.

Great! I'm really curious to hear the new version. It would be good if you dedicate some time to create a cool tone, with a wise use of reverb and delay. Check out some ambient guitarist for ideas..

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post Jun 6 2017, 03:50 PM
Post #110

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 3 2017, 03:08 AM) *
Great! I'm really curious to hear the new version. It would be good if you dedicate some time to create a cool tone, with a wise use of reverb and delay. Check out some ambient guitarist for ideas..

Yeh, I usually compose guitar only and add the other instruments after wards. Still gotto think!

Anyways! Tomorrow going to Lisbon, to the music school. My stomach is a complete storm.
I really feel very intimated with the whole scenery of fully schooled jazz cats. But oh well. wacko.gif I am there to learn no to impress.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 7 2017, 09:33 PM
Post #111

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jun 6 2017, 11:50 AM) *
Yeh, I usually compose guitar only and add the other instruments after wards. Still gotto think!

Anyways! Tomorrow going to Lisbon, to the music school. My stomach is a complete storm.
I really feel very intimated with the whole scenery of fully schooled jazz cats. But oh well. wacko.gif I am there to learn no to impress.

Wou! All the best my friend! Enjoy it. You are there to learn, and to express yourself through music not to impress.

I wish you have a great time.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post Jun 16 2017, 04:55 AM
Post #112

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 7 2017, 09:33 PM) *
Wou! All the best my friend! Enjoy it. You are there to learn, and to express yourself through music not to impress.

I wish you have a great time.

Thanks!
They actually share the building with an orchestral school, so you have people from a wide range of age studying there.

The course I am trying to get in, consists on 6hours a week (3 hours per day) for 4 years of Theory/Ear, Technique, and playing with other learning musicians and in the final 2 years, it switchs from class oriented classes to 1 on 1.
They also have relationship with international school, in England, Ireland, New York, and probably more but I can't recall or name them, if I choose to pursue an higher education music high.

I've sent the sign in documentations a few days ago. Still waiting for they to set a date for the audition, but it should be around the start of July.
Tbh I don't feel ready at all! But I think at this point I'll never will. So I might as well do it.

So far my biggest obstacle is transportation, getting from point A to B tongue.gif. Lived my whole life in a kinda rural area midsize town. Moving around in a big city, looks completely hellish thing to do. I will be coming and going in the same day, so got to figure out trains, buses and what not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 16 2017, 02:35 PM
Post #113

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate, great stuff!

I think that all these things can bring great experiences into your life. Sharing your life with other musicians, learning from top level teachers, being in a music school environment, and experiencing the big city.... that's life my friend!

I think that the school project is a great idea, and the fact that you don't have to go every day will allow you to work on your own musical career while studying.

When are you moving to the city?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post Jul 5 2017, 01:28 PM
Post #114

Oh man! Oh man!

So had the audition today, and for some reason I was really really nervous, not even while live playing I get this level.
I forgot how to play guitar or what a guitar was
biggrin.gif The instructor told me to play a Dmaj7 and I played a Emaj7.... I couldn't control the shaking on my left hand so original song I brought was kinda butcher.

But alas I survived, I start studying this September, at least the first years I will be staying in my home town and travel using public transports.
Which I will try and move with the plan of teaching guitar lessons in my town, and try to pay the school monthly feed with the incoming I get with teaching.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 5 2017, 02:27 PM
Post #115

Instructor
Group Icon

Yeahhh! Congrats on getting into the music school mate!! I think that the plan is perfect! Paying your studies giving classes. Sounds great! smile.gif

I'm happy for you mate.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post Jul 12 2017, 02:16 PM
Post #116

Thanks!

Actually the audition hit me pretty hard! I always get depressed when I perform badly.
Took me 5 days to take the guitar out of the bag. oh well rolleyes.gif

This was the song that got me out of the sad state of mind.

Back in November I could barely hit the 70 bpm. Now I can hit 130 bpm, still need to clean the edges though. But it was quite a boost mentally for me!

Also began to work in this one.

That tiny sweep part is hard as hell for me. Maybe the hardest part of the song. Not very used to play with the technique.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 12 2017, 05:13 PM
Post #117

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate, nice to see you back to guitar!

These two songs are like technique masterclasses. You could isolate the tricky parts and work on them as exercises, and off course combine the work with some GMC exercises. If you are not used to Sweep Picking, I recommend this stuff:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=43083
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=43281
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/sweep+picking/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post Jul 12 2017, 05:21 PM
Post #118

When it comes to shredy nonsense I really like Gilbert/Buckethead style of shred.
I don't know how to explain, but in my head it kinda feels more of rhythmic thing rather than melodic/solo.

So I have set to myself to REC Muris's Gilbert lessons. It still gonna take a while. Realistic speaking maybe a year or so.

Sweeping wise, my main problem is doing ascending sweeps (mainly the right hand ascending motion) and sweeps that involve barred notes, but it's all a question of practice.
Thanks for the links I will tackle with it.~

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jul 12 2017, 05:24 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 12 2017, 05:55 PM
Post #119

Instructor
Group Icon

For sweeping the secret is repetition, over metronome, at a tempo that you can keep it sounding clean, and trying to make the right hand sweep natural, as the name says "a sweep", and unique up and down motion.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post Jul 13 2017, 01:03 PM
Post #120

So I tried some of the exercises from https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=43083
Here is the result so far.

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th August 2017 - 02:47 PM