Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Song In A Long Time, Really Attached To This One, Heavy, Epic, Proggy, Deathy, Sci-Fi-ey, lots of stuff!
The Uncreator
post Mar 18 2012, 07:35 PM
Post #1

Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.304

Excluding "Prologue: She Dreams Of Earth" which was actually written about a year ago, this is the first song I have written from scratch in about 8 months. Nothing was reused, it's all completely new material.

This is where this song gets me excited, It's got a whole lot going on it, from the synthesized arpeggiated guitars in the beginning, to the synth leads and chapman stick interludes, it jumps from groove oriented to proggy, to death metal. And it's probably got the heaviest riff I have written to date as the verse.

Its got almost 200 tracks, took 7.5 weeks to track, and has crashed my computer 15 times. Its all worth it, I am probably obnoxiously proud about this one, but nevertheless I would like to hear your thought.

It is long, but like I said there is a lot going on, the only repeating parts are almost 10 minutes apart from each other and thats a lot of material between the two points.

Anyone who takes the 13+ minutes to listen to this has my sincere gratitude!

http://soundcloud.com/lascailles-shroud/evolved

The lyrics are also something quite personal to me and something I hope you read along with during the song (on the soundcloud page), though this is the beginning of "Parallel Infinities" the only thing I have worked on for 1.5 years, the entire story and narrative has changed, to make this a more human and emotive experience. There is however, some mature subject matter in their, some may not like it so I will leave them on the soundcloud page for those interested. It is not crude, gory, or disturbing but it does involve metaphorical and symbolic descriptions of a "pseudo-intercourse" which is meant to be tasteful and thought provoking. Like I said, its mostly symbolic, but its still there so warning to those who are no interested in it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
derper
post Mar 18 2012, 10:31 PM
Post #2

Learning Tone Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.316

Wow....what an amazing, and epic piece!! I will admit, I am at work and didn't listen FULL through, but I did preview the entire piece (which doesn't do it justice, I'm sure). But I am still VERY impressed! Great work. I'll try and give it a listen later through better speakers or headphones.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Mar 18 2012, 11:07 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Glad you liked what you heard. The ending riffs have more impact if you listen to the whole thing so I am sure you will be interested in it!

Thanks for the comment!

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Mar 19 2012, 05:10 AM
Post #4

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 9.801

Brett

I really enjoyed the music you composed, man. smile.gif I'm one of the ones who would not enjoy the lyrics, but your music is profound!! wink.gif
Great work! Yes, I listened to the entire piece. happy.gif I marked my favorite riff with a Soundcloud comment.

That's some dedication! What is your processor speed? I have 8 GB of RAM, but it doesn't seem to be proportional to my slow 2.1 Ghz processor. sad.gif Even on low buffering, the sound cuts a tiny bit on my system. So it has to be the CPU problem. I really don't think my computer could handle your project. laugh.gif My laptop would probably glitch and crash as soon as the play button was pressed with 200 tracks!

Thanks for the share!
Brandon

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Mar 19 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

There's a lot of tracks but I stem them all out so I can turn off the effects during playback. I have 8GB Ram with 3.2ghz processor so its nothing amazing. Sometimes though I will have 30-40 tracks with effects enabled as I need to arrange the mix, and sometimes all that stuff just collides.

I recommend stemming tracks anyway, saves a lot of processor speed smile.gif

I also have everything in folders, which then is divided into sub-folders, and some of those folder even have sub folders, looks a little like this (at least what fits on my screen)

Attached Image
EDIT

I get the lyrics thing, its a kind of dark topic in a way - Not something a lot of people think about. But in my original story, I never explained why these sentient super machines we're attempting to eradicate life (e.g. "Swarming The Sun"). So inspired by "Revelation Space" again with a mixture of Mass Effect 3, I figure that mankind would suffer a sterility plague (much like "Children Of Men") and solve the problem by creating fully synthetic life.

And this event would be the trigger for these unknown watchers to key in their extinction, it would be something they deem unacceptable for organic beings to have self-controlled evolution (e.g. "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" ), and the idea of having an event like that trigger their downfall was again inspired by Alastair Reynolds "Revelation Space"

I dug deep into my bookshelf for this one laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
post Mar 19 2012, 03:05 PM
Post #6

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 13.558

WOW! This is some high-quality material here!! Awesome music, man! smile.gif Thanks a lot for sharing it with us!

You set the mood nicely and the transitions are very good!
I'm not a fan of growl so I can't really comment much on the vocals but I can say that they really fit well over those heavy riffs smile.gif

Production is just awesome and I love the sound of each instrument!

The quiet part that starts at 5:25 is my favorite part and I keep listening to it over and over! Great melody with subtle bass in the background, and the effects... just brilliant! Even better with headphones on smile.gif These mellow parts remind me a lot on Ozric Tentacles, and that's a good thing biggrin.gif

All in all, this stuff is just AWESOME and I'm looking forward to more of your work mate smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Mar 19 2012, 03:07 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Thanks man, surprised at the Ozric Tentacles reference, haven't heard them in ages!

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Mar 19 2012, 11:08 PM
Post #8

Learning Roadie

I didn't know that is what that was called: Stemming. Hmm...I'll have to check into that. Maybe my computer will be able to handle my projects better without glitching. I never knew how that worked. My projects are not really that complex, but they are getting that way more and more all the time. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Mar 19 2012, 11:53 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Video highlighting the main riffs in the song if you are unsure if 13:26 is going to be worth it! smile.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Mar 20 2012, 02:09 AM
Post #10

Learning Roadie

Parts of that Ambient Death Riff sounds like the opening song, "This is Halloween," on Nightmare before Christmas. smile.gif Great video!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Mar 20 2012, 10:40 PM
Post #11

Learning Roadie

Stemming: Is that the same as parenting tracks?

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Mar 21 2012, 01:21 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Honestly haven't heard the term before. Stemming is just rendering a selected track to a . wav file, it preserves effects, volume, and pan + any other envelope settings.

So if you record your guitars and there all 100% good, you would click on a certain track, then under the render options click "render stems" in the dropdown box, and it creates a wave file for that track. You can then deactivate the effects on that track, mute it, and insert the stem in a folder somewhere else, saves a lot of processing power. The only tracks I dont do it with are drums, cause I edit them mindlessley, especially with manual velocity changes.

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Mar 21 2012, 01:25 AM
Post #13

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Mar 20 2012, 07:21 PM) *
Honestly haven't heard the term before. Stemming is just rendering a selected track to a . wav file, it preserves effects, volume, and pan + any other envelope settings.

So if you record your guitars and there all 100% good, you would click on a certain track, then under the render options click "render stems" in the dropdown box, and it creates a wave file for that track. You can then deactivate the effects on that track, mute it, and insert the stem in a folder somewhere else, saves a lot of processing power. The only tracks I dont do it with are drums, cause I edit them mindlessley, especially with manual velocity changes.

Okay, makes sense now. smile.gif Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2017 - 03:50 PM