> Another Recording Question...
Stratman58
post Jun 3 2007, 06:19 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.920

Hey all,
I have a pretty general question in regards to home studio recording.

I have a lexicon Omega w/4 line inputs, 2 low impedence mic inputs, and pretty much the works. However, there is only one headphone jack to monitor.

Here is my situation:
1 guitar player, 1 bass player, 1 drumset and 1 keyboard...

Is it impossible for us all to record at the same time?

If we put 2 mics on the drumset, everyone will have to monitor through headphones otherwise the mics will pick up our sound if we monitor through amps. Of course, we are only working with 1 headphone jack.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what is the traditional way to go about recording? One track at a time? And if so, in what order of instruments (ex. drums then guitar, or guitar then drums....)

How do YOU record? huh.gif

Thanks for any info

--------------------
God said "Let there be LIGHT"
and Chuck Norris said "Say Please"

Gear:
Ibanez RG Prestige 1570 Mirage Blue
Fender Mexican Strat HSS Arctic White
G&L Climax Marble body (Found my Gotoh trem bar!)
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board
Ibanez delay and chorus tank pedals
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Igorrr
post Jun 3 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1.501

Hi Stratman,

well that's a big topic in itself...

First of if you want a live recording then all instruments are playing at the same time. To be able to have everybody listening via headphone is to use an headphone amplifier, most of them come with 4 headphone outputs.

For a Studio recording you would record everything seperately to have as clean a signal as possible. Now here you have MAAAAAAAANY options... In my band for example we chose to not really record drums by microphone but by trigger ---> Meaning the drummer will play on his drumset, but every hit will trigger a MIDI note that is used with DFHS (Toontrack's Drumkit from Hell Superior).
To get a good drum recording you need
A. Great Drumkit
B. Great Mics
C. Great Mic Preamps
D. Great Rooms

Since we have none we just use Great Software.

Same with guitars... I use Amplitube 2 and Revalver MKII for Guitar recordings, since I do not own any great Valve amp.

But if you have an AmpSim like POD, Vamp, Tonelab etc... you can also record directly with them.

This is really a BIG topic so let me know in which direction you want to go and a lot of guys here will be able to help you out!!

+Quote Post
Stratman58
post Jun 4 2007, 05:45 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1.920

Thanks Igorrr for the info...

Fortunately, we do have a good room and drumset to record with. Unfortunately, mics are a problem. Right now I only have 2 unidirectional mics and 1 omni...

I do have a Pod, and this is used to lay down both bass and guitar. I am not recording directly through the pod although, but rather running the pod through to a Lexicon Omega studio box (has 4 inputs, midi in/out, and 2 low impedance inputs). I also discovered today that it has 1/4 headphone outputs!

I spent all day setting up our studio room and its looking very sleek and clean. Got everything working how I want it as well. When we get some recordings down, I'll be sure to show off a couple tunes!

--------------------
God said "Let there be LIGHT"
and Chuck Norris said "Say Please"

Gear:
Ibanez RG Prestige 1570 Mirage Blue
Fender Mexican Strat HSS Arctic White
G&L Climax Marble body (Found my Gotoh trem bar!)
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board
Ibanez delay and chorus tank pedals

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2017 - 06:33 PM