> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Amitai's Technique Builder
Amitai Kedmi
post Apr 23 2014, 11:38 AM
Post #141

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.363

Hey Cosmin!

I like the guitar line in the verse, but I think it can be changed a bit,
I feel like the bend and slide really fits there (5b 3s5), but the rest of it is a sort of a compromise.
I wanted to develop the bend and slide lick and keep it in this spirit, but I also needed a way to close it and
thought of nothing.
What do you think? Any suggestions?

Thanks! smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 24 2014, 08:12 AM
Post #142

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ Apr 23 2014, 10:38 AM) *
Hey Cosmin!

I like the guitar line in the verse, but I think it can be changed a bit,
I feel like the bend and slide really fits there (5b 3s5), but the rest of it is a sort of a compromise.
I wanted to develop the bend and slide lick and keep it in this spirit, but I also needed a way to close it and
thought of nothing.
What do you think? Any suggestions?

Thanks! smile.gif

Hehe - I know the exact feeling smile.gif Now, it's time to think of what you want to keep out of what you have recorded so far and see how you could improve the other parts. When writing, you will get into this pretty often - recording and then filtering stuff until you reach a final version smile.gif It can be a lengthy process, so don't worry. Now, when you are referring to closing, you meant the whole song or just the bend and slide idea?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
post Apr 24 2014, 05:52 PM
Post #143

Learning Rock Star

I'm referring to the rest of the lick, right after the bend and slide.
I don't think I should do the same lick 3-4 times and just add something different each time.
I think the verse should have a complete sentence, which isn't built by the same words. I hope I'm making sense.

Thanks smile.gif.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 25 2014, 03:33 PM
Post #144

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ Apr 24 2014, 04:52 PM) *
I'm referring to the rest of the lick, right after the bend and slide.
I don't think I should do the same lick 3-4 times and just add something different each time.
I think the verse should have a complete sentence, which isn't built by the same words. I hope I'm making sense.

Thanks smile.gif.

I understand smile.gif If you feel stuck, I suggest you to give it some time wink.gif You could also isolate the lick and use limitations to create diversity smile.gif

Version 1: use only slides and aim for the repetition of a certain note, arpeggio, structure
Version 2: use only legato and aim for using 3 distinct notes - where can you place them for maximum effect? Maybe use string skipping? smile.gif
Version 3: use only bends and vibrato - use more notes - aim for a certain interval or combination of intervals

Imposing limitations will spark incredibly creative ideas biggrin.gif Have you ever tried this method?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
post Apr 27 2014, 03:06 AM
Post #145

Learning Rock Star

Hey Cosmin!

That looks like an awesome creativity exercise!

I have this little project on my mind. Maybe not so little.
My dad's birthday is in exactly a month from now, and on top of the present, I really want to make him a few drums backing tracks.
I don't really know how to make this sort of thing for drum players, but I think I'll just figure it out while doing it.
I thought about 5 different tracks, that are all different genres. Maybe Rock, Blues, Funk, Jazz and Pop.
What do you think? Any guidelines/tips?

Thanks smile.gif.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 27 2014, 01:44 PM
Post #146

Instructor
Group Icon

Bro - that's a very nice gift!

Try this: replicate the drum tracks of a famous song from each genre in your DAW and change a bit here and there biggrin.gif The easiest and nicest way to do it - and trust me, you will learn A TON while doing it wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
post Apr 27 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #147

Learning Rock Star

I knew it was confusing!
I meant tracks that has no drums in it, so he can play over it! tongue.gif
Full on guitars and bass, maybe even something else. He's playing for about 5 months now and getting better
every single second. It's crazy! He's so dedicated to learning and practicing and has fun doing it. Really inspiring stuff smile.gif
I think if I'll be able to pull this off good, he'll enjoy them so much.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 28 2014, 07:45 AM
Post #148

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ Apr 27 2014, 01:27 PM) *
I knew it was confusing!
I meant tracks that has no drums in it, so he can play over it! tongue.gif
Full on guitars and bass, maybe even something else. He's playing for about 5 months now and getting better
every single second. It's crazy! He's so dedicated to learning and practicing and has fun doing it. Really inspiring stuff smile.gif
I think if I'll be able to pull this off good, he'll enjoy them so much.

Aaaahhh! Got it mate biggrin.gif Well, it's actually the same process wink.gif BUT you record all the other instruments as well and you render the tracks without the drum lines for him smile.gif It will be a tremendous ear training exercise for you!

My advice? Pick some easy songs, having a less complex orchestration, so that you may hear every instrument easily wink.gif Or, you can always take a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrumlessMusic

http://www.wikiloops.com/tracks/missing-Drums.php

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
post Apr 30 2014, 10:21 PM
Post #149

Learning Rock Star

Hey Cosmin!

I've decided to open another mentoring thread with Gabriel as well, so I can stay in control over everything.
So I'll do the tracks for my father over there, and we'll keep working on what we've already started smile.gif.

I did another take for Ben's Vibrato Odyssey. Tried to stay in pitch real hard. I think that when I focus on hitting the right notes
on a bend I can't pay enough attention to the vibrato itself. So I have the feeling that when try to play everything the different elements
in my playing are losing their strength, because I have to focus on them all.
https://soundcloud.com/amitaik/bens-vibrato-odyssey-3-5114 https://soundcloud.com/amitaik/bens-vibrato-odyssey-3-5114

Thanks! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post May 1 2014, 09:00 PM
Post #150

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Amitai!

It's alright to explore mate - see to every aspect in your playing that interests you - Gabi is a great player and you have a lot to learn from him indeed smile.gif

About the vibrato - the more you do it, the more you will be in control. I somehow never payed attention to vibrato, it just came to me in time and I never considered it as a problem until I started to figure out its power smile.gif That's when I started to pay attention and enrich it almost daily. It's an ear training mostly and you should regard it as such while building finger muscle memory.

If you have the melody memorized, you will be able to focus on the interpretation - it goes for everything you learn smile.gif Tell me one thing - have you tried to sing the more melodic lessons that you are working on?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
post May 1 2014, 10:55 PM
Post #151

Learning Rock Star

Hey Cosmin.

That sounds logical. Of course I have no patience and want to play crazy vibrato - right now! But I'll have to practice, and wait. smile.gif

Singing the melody in order to memorize them? Or something else? I haven't tried that.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post May 2 2014, 10:20 AM
Post #152

Instructor
Group Icon

Go for it! It works without question smile.gif

Imagine that it's just like a famous vocal line that you remember, because it's part of your favorite song smile.gif You can sing it at will, at ANY given time, right? Why wouldn't you do the same thing with a guitar line? smile.gif

QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ May 1 2014, 09:55 PM) *
Hey Cosmin.

That sounds logical. Of course I have no patience and want to play crazy vibrato - right now! But I'll have to practice, and wait. smile.gif

Singing the melody in order to memorize them? Or something else? I haven't tried that.

Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
post May 3 2014, 09:39 AM
Post #153

Learning Rock Star

I've been singing it for the past 24 hours, and when I'll get home back from my father's place I'll see how that goes.
Will post here another take. Is there something specific for me to pay attention to? Considering my last take.

Thanks! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post May 3 2014, 12:16 PM
Post #154

Instructor
Group Icon

Hehe! Glad to hear you are trying this smile.gif So, if it were up to me, I'd be focusing on pitches and the vibrato pitch - when you vibrated in the last take, you were not very even in respect to pitch. Please focus on these aspects and let the melody take its course as long as your anticipation power has grown a lot, theoretically, now that you know the lines very well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
post May 9 2014, 02:17 AM
Post #155

Learning Rock Star

Hey Cosmin!

Still confusing me worrying about the pitch/timing and doing vibrato at the same time. A matter of time I guess smile.gif.
https://soundcloud.com/amitaik/bens-vibrato-odyssey-4

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post May 9 2014, 09:45 AM
Post #156

Instructor
Group Icon

Yes indeed, it's a matter of time, mate smile.gif

You are still not reaching some pitches and you need to smooth out the whole piece - have you tried to record over the original version, in order to notice the differences?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
post Jun 16 2014, 10:57 PM
Post #157

Learning Rock Star

Hey Cosmin! biggrin.gif

It's been a long month. Lots of family events and work, I was barely at home.
But the next couple of months should be less stressed, and I'm here to do some work smile.gif.
Will take a look at the last few posts and continue from where we stopped, if that's okay.

How have you been?

Thanks!

This post has been edited by Amitai Kedmi: Jun 16 2014, 11:01 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 17 2014, 07:25 AM
Post #158

Instructor
Group Icon

Howdy bro!

Welcome back! Everything is going great here smile.gif Got a new guitar - PRS Tremonti USA, playing a lot of shows with Days of Confusion and life is nice in general - lots of work, but that's never a bad thing, eh? biggrin.gif

Of course we can take things from where we left wink.gif That Vibrato Odyssey is waiting to be finished wink.gif We should get rid of it first and then move on to other things as well - deal?

I am really curious to see how your subconscious is feeling it now, after all this time wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
post Jun 20 2014, 02:09 AM
Post #159

Learning Rock Star

Hey Cosmin!

That sounds great. Being busy is very draining at times but can be very fulfilling as well smile.gif .

Recorded another take. It's not good hehe. But after a lot of time has past I can see in which exact moments I'm
having a harder time.

* At 00:17 and 00:32 - when going down from the higher bend half a step to the lower bend. I find it difficult to apply vibrato there.
And I think that I'm also rushing it. Ben plays it like he has all the time in the world, and I get stressed and release the bend as soon as I
can.

* At 00:25 and 00:35 when dropping from the bends. Can't do the circular bend very well.

https://soundcloud.com/amitaik/bens-vibrato-odyssey-3-5

Thanks! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 21 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #160

Instructor
Group Icon

Hello Amitai!

It seems you have nailed the critical points yourself smile.gif This is not a very easy lesson at all and I think that it is more of a 'feeling thing' rather than actual technique wink.gif That makes things even more interesting, right?

I would stick to playing with the original recording as much as possible and trying to emulate the exact feeling that Ben imprinted on the take - it's pretty much the safest way to nail things. I did the same with Dimebag's solos, when I needed to execute some very personal articulation elements of his.

In the mean time, we could also bring in a new lesson if you don't have anything else in the works, in order to keep a fresh perspective on things. Oh by the way, how is your composition faring?

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 10:22 PM