9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Degroot Guitar Mentoring
Alex Feather
Mar 25 2012, 08:00 PM
Instructor
Hey I am very excited to start working with you!
I have a few questions before we can start!
-What are your goals?
-What is your weakness?
-What is your strongest point?
-Your favorite guitar players?
Thank you very much for joining! It will be fun!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 25 2012, 09:20 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Hey man, I am really excited for this opportunity!

My main purpose here is to add more variety to my playing! I would like to focus on rhythm playing. It would be great to learn some fusion, jazz, blues shuffles, funk, etc. I'm really open to just about any style. smile.gif Until recently I had not played much "clean" guitar. I've mostly been just a strummer of major/minor open chords in the past. I'd like to begin more intricate right hand rhythm into my playing.

I would also like to add into the mix some slide guitar playing. I am a true beginner at this style. I recently bought a slide and had worked with your "tuner bend" lesson. To get all the nuances right with the slide was a bit over my skill level but it was a good start to get used to playing slide.

I don't really have any real strong points to brag about but I should add that my background is with neoclassical/shred style. I'm working with Gabriel on that side of my playing at the moment as well.

Crossroads is one of my favorite movies and influenced me to want to play slide and blues. I love Ry Cooder's slide guitar playing!

Well, guess that is all for now. I'm looking forward to some lessons from you! Thanks!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 26 2012, 08:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Mar 25 2012, 08:20 PM) *
Hey man, I am really excited for this opportunity!

My main purpose here is to add more variety to my playing! I would like to focus on rhythm playing. It would be great to learn some fusion, jazz, blues shuffles, funk, etc. I'm really open to just about any style. smile.gif Until recently I had not played much "clean" guitar. I've mostly been just a strummer of major/minor open chords in the past. I'd like to begin more intricate right hand rhythm into my playing.

I would also like to add into the mix some slide guitar playing. I am a true beginner at this style. I recently bought a slide and had worked with your "tuner bend" lesson. To get all the nuances right with the slide was a bit over my skill level but it was a good start to get used to playing slide.

I don't really have any real strong points to brag about but I should add that my background is with neoclassical/shred style. I'm working with Gabriel on that side of my playing at the moment as well.

Crossroads is one of my favorite movies and influenced me to want to play slide and blues. I love Ry Cooder's slide guitar playing!

Well, guess that is all for now. I'm looking forward to some lessons from you! Thanks!!

Great!!! I think together we can achieve some big results!!!
I would like to start with you with some rhythms!
I have a backing track that has a very simple chord progression
It's C major - A minor - E minor
I also added a track with my guitar in it to give you some ideas!
What I want you to do is to record main guitar and a double
using different voicing!
So for the first part use this voicings:
C major9

A minor 7

E minor 7

And for the second part use this voicings:
C major 7

A minor

E minor 7

The trick is to play the same strumming for both tracks!
Doing this exercise you will kill two ducks with one stone
You will improve your timing, learn new chords and will start learning about creating backing tracks!

Here are the tracks:
With guitar
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/guitar
No guitar
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/no-guitar

Let me know if you have any questions or need help!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 26 2012, 11:49 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Sounds terrific! Gonna jump into this now

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 27 2012, 01:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Mar 26 2012, 10:49 PM) *
Sounds terrific! Gonna jump into this now

GREAT! I am looking forward to hear your take!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 27 2012, 04:15 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Mar 27 2012, 12:13 AM) *
GREAT! I am looking forward to hear your take!

I was anxious to hear how these chord voicings sounded so I recorded something already. Its really cool and interesting to play something like this! I do think I could get the strumming tighter with more practice and maybe the clarity of the notes in some of chords could be improved. Thought I'd share this recording anyway to make sure I'm on the right track with it. Thanks Alex!

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/alex-feather-mentoring

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 28 2012, 02:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Mar 27 2012, 03:15 AM) *
I was anxious to hear how these chord voicings sounded so I recorded something already. Its really cool and interesting to play something like this! I do think I could get the strumming tighter with more practice and maybe the clarity of the notes in some of chords could be improved. Thought I'd share this recording anyway to make sure I'm on the right track with it. Thanks Alex!

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/alex-feather-mentoring

Wow!!! Sounds really good!!!! What you can do now is to make chords sound tighter and add some delay!!!
I will show you another cool tricks after the basic chords are done!
I like what you did! Maybe add a little more treble or presence on your amp
Also maybe a tiny bit of reverb!
What you can do is send me your takes and I will add some effects and will explain you what I did!!!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 28 2012, 05:04 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Mar 28 2012, 01:05 AM) *
Wow!!! Sounds really good!!!! What you can do now is to make chords sound tighter and add some delay!!!
I will show you another cool tricks after the basic chords are done!
I like what you did! Maybe add a little more treble or presence on your amp
Also maybe a tiny bit of reverb!
What you can do is send me your takes and I will add some effects and will explain you what I did!!!

Thank you! I will record some new versions soon after some practice with it. I already experimented a bit with some delay and treble EQ!

So, I will give you one version with delay and one without effects? Are you able to download from sound cloud and add effects from there?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 28 2012, 11:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Mar 28 2012, 04:04 PM) *
Thank you! I will record some new versions soon after some practice with it. I already experimented a bit with some delay and treble EQ!

So, I will give you one version with delay and one without effects? Are you able to download from sound cloud and add effects from there?

Yes I can download from soundcloud if you will make track downloadble!
I will add some effects after and will explain you what I did so you will have a better idea!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 29 2012, 07:12 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Ok, I made the track downloadable! I'll make sure the next versions are downloadable too.

This post has been edited by DeGroot: Mar 29 2012, 07:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 29 2012, 07:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Mar 29 2012, 06:12 PM) *
Ok, I made the track downloadable! I'll make sure the next versions are downloadable too.

If you can upload guitar only tracks so I can work with them.

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 29 2012, 07:56 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Mar 29 2012, 06:33 PM) *
If you can upload guitar only tracks so I can work with them.

Here you go! Thanks!

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/alex-feather-mentoring-aif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 30 2012, 08:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Mar 29 2012, 06:56 PM) *

Sounds Great! I will work on it tomorrow morning!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 31 2012, 09:27 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Mar 30 2012, 07:28 AM) *
Sounds Great! I will work on it tomorrow morning!

Great! Look forward to hearing it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 31 2012, 03:31 PM
Instructor
Very good take!
I like the sound you came up with!
This is what I did:
I added a little reverb (I have Lexicon)
Abbey Road 124box compressor
Sound Toys Cristalizer
Now if you will add this take to the backing track you will hear some cool changes!!!
Also I have noticed that your track is distorted it happens because Input Gain set too high!
I would recommend to lower it and after track is recorded just normalize it in your recording software!
This way you still will have a loud track and will avoid unwanted clipping!

http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/guitar-only-take

Let me know if you have any questions!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 31 2012, 07:21 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Mar 31 2012, 02:31 PM) *
Very good take!
I like the sound you came up with!
This is what I did:
I added a little reverb (I have Lexicon)
Abbey Road 124box compressor
Sound Toys Cristalizer
Now if you will add this take to the backing track you will hear some cool changes!!!
Also I have noticed that your track is distorted it happens because Input Gain set too high!
I would recommend to lower it and after track is recorded just normalize it in your recording software!
This way you still will have a loud track and will avoid unwanted clipping!

http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/guitar-only-take

Sounds very nice! I like the improvements a lot! I like the added "brightness" to it. I'll have to watch out for that bass note strumming on the A chord though.

Regarding your advice:

I'm not exactly sure what normalizing is. I have just started with DAW recording and recording my own amp/guitar in general. I use Garageband but I don't see this option available. I do have a Noisegate here? Will this work for a similar result? The clipping, as you mention, is from my Mic setting being too high. I noticed that as well and that should be an easy problem to fix.

I also have compressor, reverb, and delay track effects in the software. Its very basic stuff to work with but hopefully I can get some similar results here. I'll have to do some research and see if I can add plug-ins in the future to further develop the sound. Thanks Alex for the effects sample! We'll get some better sounds on the next track!

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 31 2012, 08:43 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Here is a new take! Well, I worked on boosting the high mid/ treble frequencies post recording. Added the delay/reverb. I tried to add compressor but it was clipping/distorting! Overall, when comparing to the original recording I think its an improvement in the right direction.

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/alex-feather-new-track-with

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Apr 1 2012, 04:29 AM
Instructor
Track sounds much better! I can hear it much clear now!
I'm working in logic but I'm sure garage band is very similar!
Here is a thread I found let me know ifthis helps
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=307873
I would like you to turn down guitar track a little bit and upload it to soundcloud!
I'm gonna prepare a new assignment for you today!
It will be really fun I will explain you how to create your own licks combining arpeggios and pentatonics!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Apr 1 2012, 07:11 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Apr 1 2012, 03:29 AM) *
Track sounds much better! I can hear it much clear now!
I'm working in logic but I'm sure garage band is very similar!
Here is a thread I found let me know ifthis helps
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=307873
I would like you to turn down guitar track a little bit and upload it to soundcloud!
I'm gonna prepare a new assignment for you today!
It will be really fun I will explain you how to create your own licks combining arpeggios and pentatonics!

That thread helps out! Thanks a bunch for finding that!
I turned down the guitar by .3dB. Let me know If it needs further adjustment.
Great, I'm really looking forward to the new assignment!

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/alex-feather-lesson-guitar

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Apr 5 2012, 09:32 AM
Instructor
So now when we have a backing track for you the fun part will start!!!
Let's take two pentatonics:
A minor

E minor

So what I want you to do is to create a few licks combining those pentatonics together!
Here is an example:
E |-----------8--5--7--5-------|-----------8--7-------------|----|
B |----------------------------|--------5--------8----------|----|
G |--4--5--7--------------7----|--5--4--------------7-------|----|
D |----------------------------|-----------------------7----|----|
A |----------------------------|----------------------------|----|
E |----------------------------|----------------------------|----|

--------5-----------7-------|--8--7--5-------------------||
-----------8----------------|-----------8--5-------------||
-----7-----------7-----7----|-----------------7--5-------||
--5-----------5-------------|-----------------------5----||
----------------------------|----------------------------||
----------------------------|----------------------------||

Guitar Pro
Attached File  licks.gp5 ( 1.81K ) Number of downloads: 166

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:15 AM