2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Image Important In Music?
post Apr 23 2012, 06:59 PM
Post #21

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 10.312

When I read the title of this thread, I was thinking in terms of stage presence ~ not graphics on an album. Frankly, the album art doesn't mean anything to me. It's cool to look at, but I've found that some of the greatest album artwork was on albums of music I didn't care for, and the opposite was equally true. You have two different artists at work - the graphic artist, and the musician artist, and those two aren't on the same page most of the time IMO.

But I would like to chime in on what I thought the thread was about. Stage presence (image) is as important as the music itself in a live setting. People are visual beings ~ we react to what we see, and the music enhances that (and vice versa of course). Live performances are theatrics - and it is important to feed your audience enthusiasm and entertain them ` they've paid money to be entertained, and if you go up there just to play stationary, then you've done your audience a dis-service. I highly recommend that if you plan to perform live, then you should play close attention to how you will look on stage. If that means wearing a wig and practicing back-flips, then by all means, but video record yourself standing up playing songs you know, and critique yourself ~ harshly if need be, and then work on fixing those things that stand out to you as not cool looking.

For instance, my first stage appearance was an Art and Wine festival and my stage presence was nothing short of embarrassing (to me) after revisiting that video over and over again. I wore my guitar too high (I'm 6'3 and should really have it slung low), I leaned forward on my toes instead of leaning back with head held high, I often played sideways to the audience instead of getting up to the monitor and showing them my fingers at work, etc. Lots of small things you wouldn't normally think of, and you wouldn't even know to look for unless you video tape yourself and go through a constant self critique process.

The whole concept of looking cool on stage isn't about self gratification, loving yourself, etc., it's about bringing a powerful, self-confident image to the forefront that the audience can latch onto and not have to worry about dorkyness on stage.

so yah - image on stage is huge, IMO. displaying self-confidence and fun is such an essential part of playing live that you owe it to your band and your audience to practice that aspect of your music.

The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 23 2012, 08:07 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 23 2012, 04:14 PM) *
Can't agree more! I want EP! smile.gif

And you shall have it wink.gif

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2016 - 01:22 PM