Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stuck In A Rut...
guitarguy93
post May 11 2012, 03:48 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 15.786

Hey guys. I think I'm doing something wrong. Be it the way I practice, or my technique, I must be doing something wrong.

I've been stuck in this rut for around 3 years where I can't seem to get past 100BPM, playing 16th notes on a GOOD day. I just can't get past it. I'm as relaxed as I can be and still, no progress. I practice around 2 hours a day, spaced out into half-hour sections. I really don't think I would have to do more than that. It seems that no matter what I do, or how hard I focus, I just can't get passed that 100 mark. I've tried slowing down to 60, 40, and even 25BPM and nothing seems to work. I'll post anything you guys might need to help me get passed this. Just help me out!

--------------------
Music is a way of life. You live it, you don't just listen.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post May 11 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 9.820

Hi, it sounds like you just haven't stumbled upon the right picking hand position/mechanics for you yet. If you're using a method that doesn't have any potential for growth then it won't matter how much you practise, as it will always have a sticking point. Everybody has a unique way that will work for them and as soon as they find it, they're on the road !

Are you able to film yourself playing at all so we can see your picking technique ?

If not, could you perhaps describe it to us, maybe using some famous guitar players as an example ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
guitarguy93
post May 11 2012, 04:28 PM
Post #3

I'll see if I can find my camera to record it.

The famous guitarist that most closely matches my technique is probably Paul Gilbert, only slower. tongue.gif Of course, this is only off the top of my head, but still, it matches pretty close.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post May 11 2012, 04:43 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 9.820

QUOTE (guitarguy93 @ May 11 2012, 04:28 PM) *
I'll see if I can find my camera to record it.

The famous guitarist that most closely matches my technique is probably Paul Gilbert, only slower. tongue.gif Of course, this is only off the top of my head, but still, it matches pretty close.

Ok. When it comes to the picking hand, there's lots of variation when it comes to the angle that the wrist leans against the guitar. It can vary from having the hand almost exactly parallel against the guitar, to having the outside of the hand open out more and drop towards the floor. All depending on the angle of your hand, it can change the feel of the picking motion. If you have your hand really parallel with the guitar, I personally find that it's hard to maintain complete wrist action without involving the forearm as the speed starts to climb. With more of an angle, I find it easier to rotate from the wrist more. However, that's just one tiny observation of mine.

I hope you don't mind me directing you to another post I made yesterday, about finding a way to do basic tremolo picking.. a constant alternate picking motion without crossing strings.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=583506

A lot of people discover their picking technique by finding a way that they're able to play fast, or reasonably fast, tremolo picking and then they look at what their hand is doing.. and they then slow it down and work on their picking from there.

I'm not sure where you're from so the time zone might not suit, but Todd Simpson covers a lot of alternate picking in his live video chats, on Saturdays 22:00 GMT. He knows his stuff and you'll definitely get some great tips from him smile.gif

P.S. I went through a lot of what you're going through and it was when I started experimenting with different hand angles that I made break throughs.

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: May 11 2012, 04:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
guitarguy93
post May 12 2012, 08:36 PM
Post #5

Thanks a lot, Ben! smile.gif So far, this seems to be helping. I'm not quite past the 100BPM mark, but it feels more comfortable. Thanks again!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post May 13 2012, 02:36 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4.733

i am in your same boat,lately i have been in Tod's Saturday chats and he has been having us double pick,( as well as single and triple picking the scale)
I just got to say, that I have really seen a lot of progress lately using these techniques
and I strongly suggest you try this out

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2017 - 09:32 PM