Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tabs Vs Transcribing?..
leonard478
post May 30 2012, 07:55 AM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 13.277

Hey guys! so im heading to music school next year!, and i was trying to ween off tabs, i can read notes fairly well, but i also have really neglected learning things by ear up until a few months ago, should i be learning GMC lessons by ear? because through my practice schedules i do alot of sight reading and learning by ear already, a little tab wont hurt? or should i just stick to the ear method
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
post May 30 2012, 08:14 AM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 13.756

QUOTE (leonard478 @ May 30 2012, 06:55 AM) *
Hey guys! so im heading to music school next year!, and i was trying to ween off tabs, i can read notes fairly well, but i also have really neglected learning things by ear up until a few months ago, should i be learning GMC lessons by ear? because through my practice schedules i do alot of sight reading and learning by ear already, a little tab wont hurt? or should i just stick to the ear method

Do both. Hell, if I was you, I would ditch tablature and learn to read music. If you are going to music school this is a necessity. Your sight reading should be top notch.

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
maharzan
post May 30 2012, 08:45 AM
Post #3

Veteran Guitar Lord

Member No.: 7.127

If you really want to develop yourself as a musician than yes, go with ear. Otherwise, you might get stuck like me where you always want to depend on tabs and be a monkey. Its getting hard to go back to being melodic and hearing music on your head. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
awat
post May 31 2012, 06:33 AM
Post #4

GMC:er

Member No.: 15.813

When you get to Berklee, you are going to have to read music and music charts. Reading music and applying it to guitar can be a chore,but the more you do it the easier it gets. If you do not have the Berklee series of book, you should get them and start working on them now, because you are going to go over all three books there. One book per year and you will have a head start if you begin the books now. Start with book one then two the three. Berklee is a hardcore Jazz school and musicians institute is more contemporary music. If you play jazz and you like it you will soak it up, but if you do not like jazz, it is just goijng to be really hard work. I know several guys who went to Berklee. And man can they shred. They can not teach very well, but they can play the heck out of the guitar. Mostly any style.

Tony

+Quote Post
leonard478
post May 31 2012, 07:01 AM
Post #5

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 13.277

QUOTE (awat @ May 31 2012, 05:33 AM) *
When you get to Berklee, you are going to have to read music and music charts. Reading music and applying it to guitar can be a chore,but the more you do it the easier it gets. If you do not have the Berklee series of book, you should get them and start working on them now, because you are going to go over all three books there. One book per year and you will have a head start if you begin the books now. Start with book one then two the three. Berklee is a hardcore Jazz school and musicians institute is more contemporary music. If you play jazz and you like it you will soak it up, but if you do not like jazz, it is just goijng to be really hard work. I know several guys who went to Berklee. And man can they shred. They can not teach very well, but they can play the heck out of the guitar. Mostly any style.

Tony

thanks for your opinion:) ive actually got 20 pages to go on the first berklee book! been well on my way. so far no major reading problems. well maybe a few but my teacher will help me fix those, cheers!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post May 31 2012, 08:38 AM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 9.820

Hey Leonard smile.gif

Yeah, try and do as much of it by ear as you can and when you get to a tricky section, use the PDF file that comes with the lesson and cover up the tab part and just read the notation, so you get the best of both worlds smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post May 31 2012, 09:31 AM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 31 2012, 07:38 AM) *
Hey Leonard smile.gif

Yeah, try and do as much of it by ear as you can and when you get to a tricky section, use the PDF file that comes with the lesson and cover up the tab part and just read the notation, so you get the best of both worlds smile.gif

I think Ben covered it up in a very good way. Your ears are the most valuable weapon you have! Train them harder than anything and it'll pay off more than all the techniques combined together wink.gif

You will be able to play with anyone in almost any context, if you have a strong sense of hearing. If you have the proper playing technique developed at a high level, the better!

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 01:39 AM