Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 10.329

I wish I learned this years ago, would've saved my so much agony biggrin.gif

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/cor...ar_fingers.html

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 28 2012, 01:47 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

This looks very interesting man biggrin.gif I have surfed it and will read it carefully after the v-chat session tonight! Thanks wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Jun 28 2012, 03:44 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

Very good article. Nice find Mudbone ! smile.gif

I would use this to describe what I try to tell people when they're learning legato shapes. To memorise the shapes first, let your fingers and hand put no effort in at all.. so that the path the fingers seek will be the path of least resistance.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JTaylor
post Jun 28 2012, 04:18 PM
Post #4

Apprentice Roadie

Member No.: 14.530

That is a great article! I have learned the rhythm to Satriani's "Crushing Day" and I have discovered something. Sometimes, I can play it just fine and (except for a few tiny areas that still need more work) it sounds good. However, if I start really concentrating on it, my left arm is killing me within 3 minutes, from fingers all the way to the elbow! I start messing up, which creates a vicious cycle of concentrating harder, more tension, more mistakes, and it goes on. Tension and my thinking (which I believe causes the tension in the first place) are my biggest enemies when it comes to guitar playing.
I guess that could apply to life as a whole. Time to start looking into some of the articles about the mind that Ben has posted!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Jun 28 2012, 04:19 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 28 2012, 10:44 AM) *
Very good article. Nice find Mudbone ! smile.gif

I would use this to describe what I try to tell people when they're learning legato shapes. To memorise the shapes first, let your fingers and hand put no effort in at all.. so that the path the fingers seek will be the path of least resistance.

This is so true. Learning how to play without tension is a skill in and of itself. Excessive tension in the hands and wrist is like driving a car with poorly balanced tires (tyres in the UK tongue.gif) or a busted u-joint. At slow speeds the car is uncomfortable to drive, and taking the car to higher speeds makes the car undriveable.

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Jun 28 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 28 2012, 04:19 PM) *
This is so true. Learning how to play without tension is a skill in and of itself. Excessive tension in the hands and wrist is like driving a car with poorly balanced tires (tyres in the UK tongue.gif) or a busted u-joint. At slow speeds the car is uncomfortable to drive, and taking the car to higher speeds makes the car undriveable.

Yep. When we put in minimal effort into an action it can make us feel like we don't have any control... so we exert some force to 'bring it into line'.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Arpeggio
post Jun 28 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #7

GMC:er

Member No.: 15.994

Interesting article I read the whole thing. It's a principal of the body for any muscle but music is fun and it takes discipline to stop. I think finger tension can be caused by impatience and enjoying music too much, you have to force yourself to stop or your fingers start to tense up.

There's a trick where you have your arms straight beside you and someone holds them into your sides while you push out as hard as you can for a bit, when they let go your arms rise up without you controlling them because yours shoulder muscles are tense.

Often when practising to metronome I use the metronome to time myself for 6 or so clicks before I repeat the phrase. If I hammer on at something time and time again I'll get worse as my hand gets exhausted. Qui-gong balls helped when I used to have problems, I dont use them as often as I'd like to.

--------------------
Founder of new startup social network site that brings the good aspects of MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook together.

MyTwitFace.

+Quote Post
derper
post Jun 29 2012, 08:43 PM
Post #8

Learning Tone Master

Member No.: 14.316

Great concept! I hope to explore it a bit while practicing. But, since I'm still newer to big legato runs and such, I'm still currently building up new muscle strength. So I'm a bit worried to incorporate this fully at this point, since I think that SOME tension is actually GOOD for me right now! It's my work-out!! If I was at "pro-strength" level, I might benefit more from working on releasing tension I would think.

This is similar to my thoughts on Steve Vai's quote about "staying away from weaknesses and working on strengths...", in which I believe that it applies more to a "pro" skilled player, whereas the intermediates still need to work on weaknesses/use tension to build up strength!!
Just my opinion.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Jun 29 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (derper @ Jun 29 2012, 03:43 PM) *
This is similar to my thoughts on Steve Vai's quote about "staying away from weaknesses and working on strengths...", in which I believe that it applies more to a "pro" skilled player, whereas the intermediates still need to work on weaknesses/use tension to build up strength!!
Just my opinion.

You are absolutely right. This quote from Vai is very misleading if not taken in the right context. I also feel its really meant for advanced players, because for beginner and intermediate players, almost everything is a weakness, to a degree. Also keep in mind who said it: Steve Vai - the man who has mastered many, many techniques. To him, his weaknesses are probably more compositional than physical. I really think this is one of the most abused guitar quotes out there... just sayin' laugh.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
derper
post Jun 30 2012, 02:02 AM
Post #10

Learning Tone Master

Agree!!

And for me...this "tension" issue is in the same realm. Of course we all want to play efficiently, fast, clean and with minimal tension. But at this point, I'm still benefiting from the "workout" and building muscles with that tension!

But, the good thing is....I probably couldn't "eliminate" all tension, even if I tried!! So I'll certainly focus MORE on relaxing always, and it will all work out in the end!! It's like anything....just focus on it a bit, while practicing. I did that with picking efficiency, and a month later....WHOA, I was able to play so much faster and easier!! I imagine if I do the same with "tension", I'll see similar results without having to dedicate TOO much time to that one particular technique/issue.

Eventually, when I'm more "Vai-like" I may want to re-visit the specific techniques one at a time, and MASTER those!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 30 2012, 02:24 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

This is an CRUCIAL CONCEPT! Great article! I"m always going on about this very thing during chat. "TENSION KILLS YOUR PRECISION/SPEED" so I"m always saying "Stay Loose! Play Fast!". It's natural to tense up. You have to train your body against it. It's natural to breathe without thinking about it but you can train yourself to hold your breathe. It's somewhat similar. You have to override your bodies natural instincts.

Playing from the Elbow is a similar issue. It's natural to tense the arm. But the result is often that it gets harder to play, and you burn out quicker. Instead, relax the arm. Focus on picking from the WRIST DOWN! Not the ELBOW UP! wink.gif

I'm not as convinced about the "Shaking" bit. I'm all for "Shaking it out" to release tension, but I seldom shake during play. But I"m all for whatever works. As Bruce Lee said, "Listen to everything, absorb what is useful."

Todd

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 27 2012, 02:18 PM) *
I wish I learned this years ago, would've saved my so much agony biggrin.gif

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/cor...ar_fingers.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
JesseJ
post Jun 30 2012, 05:41 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 15.413

When I first saw this I was like yah whatever this cant be true. I tried it After practicing this hard lick for 20 min I just let my fingers hang and they actually started shaking !!!! I couldn't believe it ! I used to think that all this kind of stuff and warming up was just a waste of time but if you want to play fast and improve this is all so essential to that. And even more so for long practice sessions. from now on out I am warming up and releasing the tension.

I would recommend everyone try this .

--------------------
Never miss an opportunity to play

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Jun 30 2012, 06:41 PM
Post #13

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jun 30 2012, 05:41 PM) *
When I first saw this I was like yah whatever this cant be true. I tried it After practicing this hard lick for 20 min I just let my fingers hang and they actually started shaking !!!! I couldn't believe it ! I used to think that all this kind of stuff and warming up was just a waste of time but if you want to play fast and improve this is all so essential to that. And even more so for long practice sessions. from now on out I am warming up and releasing the tension.

That's cool that you're making progress with this.. keep us updated smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
post Jun 30 2012, 09:49 PM
Post #14

Learning Tone Master

I would have been more excited about this "system" of releasing tension, if the video started with/had any hot shredding!!

But really....I did click around in the video to get to the part where epic guitar riffs would be presented.....it didn't happen. He just pointed to a muscle in his hand that was apparently "shaking" and he got kind of excited about it. I would have been excited, if it was preceded by an epic/furious run of riffs!! Kidding, but not really.

But, the article was actually pretty well written. I just think the video was boring.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Jun 30 2012, 10:03 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jun 30 2012, 12:41 PM) *

Thanks for sharing your experience biggrin.gif Its always great to hear of a technique that works.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 09:46 PM