Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dr Neon "glow" Strings....
derper
post Jul 7 2012, 10:59 PM
Post #1

Learning Tone Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.316

They chip. Badly. I chipped away so much "paint" just warming up for last night's EMULATOR show. Plus, they put a disclaimer INSIDE the package saying that "metal to metal contact will harm the neon finish". So, you just sold me a pack of guitar strings, for a guitar (which traditionally has METAL frets!!) and hid the disclaimer inside. What a rip. DR, I have lost some respect.

After the show, pink paint chips all over my guitar. Not a big deal, but just know....the neon doesn't last 5 mins.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Jul 7 2012, 11:52 PM
Post #2

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.410

Thanks for the insight! I was thinking of trying out these strings on my bass. I guess I'll skip them now considering strings on bass stay on for months - can't imagine how they would look after that much usage.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
derper
post Jul 8 2012, 12:35 AM
Post #3

Learning Tone Master

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jul 7 2012, 03:52 PM) *
Thanks for the insight! I was thinking of trying out these strings on my bass. I guess I'll skip them now considering strings on bass stay on for months - can't imagine how they would look after that much usage.

Well, if you're not using a pick they won't chip away quite as fast, but I even saw chips on the frets at the end of the night. In fact, maybe I'll post a pic of the aftermath of 10 mins of warmup, and a 90min show. Granted, 90 minutes of Nintendo songs/EMULATOR set certainly is an intense 90 mins! But still.....I feel like DR knows that they are going to fail, hence a (literally!) separate paper "disclaimer" within the packaging!

But, before using the neons, I tried regular DR's and I love them compared to my slinky's. So despite my rant, I still think I'm switching to DR strings.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 9 2012, 04:20 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

That's so bad, it's weird that this happens and they didn't solve it yet. Thanks for sharing your experience here. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Max Sokolov
post Jul 9 2012, 04:39 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 15.859

I also tried it - worst strings I ever played!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
post Jul 9 2012, 05:45 PM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 14.398

QUOTE (derper @ Jul 7 2012, 09:59 PM) *
They chip. Badly. I chipped away so much "paint" just warming up for last night's EMULATOR show. Plus, they put a disclaimer INSIDE the package saying that "metal to metal contact will harm the neon finish". So, you just sold me a pack of guitar strings, for a guitar (which traditionally has METAL frets!!) and hid the disclaimer inside. What a rip. DR, I have lost some respect.

After the show, pink paint chips all over my guitar. Not a big deal, but just know....the neon doesn't last 5 mins.

I had them on my guitar for a while and actually loved those strings! They have lasted me for a long time! Maybe you ran into a bad package? Try calling DR and ask them about it! They will replace it for free!

This post has been edited by Alex Feather: Jul 9 2012, 05:46 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Jul 9 2012, 08:14 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

Man, that sucks !! Thanks for the info... now we all know to avoid them smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
post Jul 10 2012, 02:00 AM
Post #8

Learning Tone Master

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jul 9 2012, 09:45 AM) *
I had them on my guitar for a while and actually loved those strings! They have lasted me for a long time! Maybe you ran into a bad package? Try calling DR and ask them about it! They will replace it for free!

I may do that....although, before I tried them I was warned that they "will chip easily, and you'll have that 'paint' all over your guitar". Argh, my fiance took the camera today! I will try to post pics tonight.

Love DR strings, non-neon. And other than the chipping, the neon effect was cooler/brighter than I expected!! WAY COOL for EMULATOR shows! But, I didn't like the feel of the coating.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2017 - 02:49 PM