> Building A Guitar
MickeM
post Jul 16 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #21

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (JVM @ Jul 17 2007, 12:10 AM) *
Maybe I can turn it into a mini lesson on how to build a guitar in this manner, perhaps with a little helpful input from others who've done it as well.

Yeah, that would be cool biggrin.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hemlok
post Jul 17 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #22

GMC:er

Member No.: 1.286

I plan to build my own guitar at some stage, i am only designing on paper at the moment when i am bored, as I have no woodworking skills or any tools. But it is definitely something i aim to do in the next 5 years. Maybe i will say 10 years, that seems more likely. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Jul 17 2007, 12:11 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
shredmandan
post Jul 17 2007, 01:10 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 1.260

Only thing that has held me back from doing this is price and quality.It costs more to build a guitar than to just by a good name brand one in most cases.Sure there are the cheap saga kits ect out there but if you build a guitar you dont want it to be junk.The plus side though would be making it exactly how you want it .For example i would love to make a guitar were the volume or tone knobs were not right below my humbucker or bridge.It causes me problems when i palm mute the bottom strings

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
JVM
post Jul 17 2007, 02:29 AM
Post #24

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.984

QUOTE (shredmandan @ Jul 16 2007, 06:10 PM) *
Only thing that has held me back from doing this is price and quality.It costs more to build a guitar than to just by a good name brand one in most cases.Sure there are the cheap saga kits ect out there but if you build a guitar you dont want it to be junk.The plus side though would be making it exactly how you want it .For example i would love to make a guitar were the volume or tone knobs were not right below my humbucker or bridge.It causes me problems when i palm mute the bottom strings

The guitar I'm building is about $530USD for the body, neck and two pickups. What remains is electronics, bridge and tuners. Since I don't plan to put a $150 floyd rose on it (no trem at all actually) it's going to end up being a very nice, dream guitar for me for just over 600 I think.

I'm about 50% sure you can ask them to drill the holes for your knobs further away from the bridge for little to no cost (could be wrong about that but I'm pretty sure you can, it all goes in the same cavity in the body, so it shouldn't really matter where they are).

This post has been edited by JVM: Jul 17 2007, 02:29 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ryan
post Jul 17 2007, 02:47 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 1.345

I have a few questions here. Hoping you guys can answer these. Alright to start this off. Does the shape of the body change the sound in any way?? If the body is fatter does it make the sound fatter, and visa versa?? How much does the fretboard effect the sound?? Where does most the sound come from?? the pickups, body, neck, electronics ( I think thats right)??? And also does anybody konw a site that would explain more about building your own guitar accuratly??

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
JVM
post Jul 17 2007, 03:00 AM
Post #26

Learning Roadie

They have all kinds of guides that answer each of those questions on warmoth (www.warmoth.com) that's why I decided to go with them, they're really helpful and informative and I haven't seen anyone with better prices.

Okay guys, I've been sure I was going to get the duncan SH-5, but the SH-6 looks good too. I guess ideally from this bridge pickup I want a van halen, thin lizzy kind of tone that's capable of metal but can also do hard rock to bluesy stuff, in descending order biggrin.gif

From what I see, the SH-5 is still the better one for that, but the SH-6 has more reviews overall with a slightly better average (more good reviews = less risky purchase) and I think I'd be happy with either.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sey...ckup?sku=300040
^SH-5

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sey...ckup?sku=300042
^SH-6

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Rock
post Jul 17 2007, 03:47 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 1.285

QUOTE (shredmandan @ Jul 17 2007, 01:10 AM) *

One way to build a guitar for less would be to design your own body and neck, etc. If you buy a kit, it is definitely much more expensive. My boss has been designing and building guitars for a few years now. He has built over 60 and swears they sound better than his PRS that he paid almost $4K for. He asked me the other day if I want to build my own guitar, so it sounds like I am going to get a bit of experience on this subject fairly soon.

+Quote Post
JVM
post Jul 17 2007, 03:54 AM
Post #28

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Rock @ Jul 16 2007, 08:47 PM) *
One way to build a guitar for less would be to design your own body and neck, etc. If you buy a kit, it is definitely much more expensive. My boss has been designing and building guitars for a few years now. He has built over 60 and swears they sound better than his PRS that he paid almost $4K for. He asked me the other day if I want to build my own guitar, so it sounds like I am going to get a bit of experience on this subject fairly soon.

Awesome smile.gif Let us know how it goes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
goat
post Jul 19 2007, 06:05 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 2.201

I HIGHLY recommend Melvyn Hiscock's book, mentioned earlier in the thread, if you ever wondered what goes on inside a guitar tongue.gif

It's a truly great instructional book and a very detailed resource to keep handy during a build as well. It's also a pretty entertaining read. Basically, it covers some history, then delves right into all the details involved with the different parts of the build process. If you need to back off a little at first and just try to get "the big picture" of building a guitar before going into all the details (like I did) there are also 3 chapters that each go step by step through the building of a separate guitar from start to finish.

I think you and I are pretty much in the same boat as I'm quite new to guitar building myself. It's a lot (a LOT!) of stuff to learn and I found it easy to get overwhelmed tongue.gif There are excellent resources out there, though. Someone mentioned projectguitar.com -- their message board is a good place to get feedback or answers to specific questions, and see some very talented luthiers in action with their in-progress builds.

Keep us posted on your project! It's just as rewarding as it is challenging... time/funds may never allow me to finish my little build, but what I've learned and the satisfaction I still get is pretty dang satisfying smile.gif best of luck to you.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
post Jul 19 2007, 06:15 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1.243

Building a guitar by no means is easy , youll most likely go crazy half way through wacko.gif . But thats what we are here for ! My best advice would be to ask Marcus. Afterall he did make his own Wacko-Strat-Thing-a-Mabober. The kits do help you being that It doesnt leave you all alone from the get go.
Good Luck!

-John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Guitar34
post Jul 20 2007, 06:53 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 2.116

here is a great video for u to watch and it has a list of tools you will need! but u might need to buy some

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioEQApERUIQ

hope i helped you!

--------------------
The more practice the better you get!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 12:26 PM