GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

QUOTE (Yash @ Aug 6 2012, 07:15 AM) *
biggrin.gif Loved them biggrin.gif

I am prefering the Alternative 8, JB-4, Distortion and Gus G biggrin.gif

I also kinda liked the Dimebucker, but for rhythm work only smile.gif

They each have their own character and sound. It's great to hear them back to back to get an idea of just how much pickup choice can impact your tone!

Todd

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Aug 16 2012, 09:22 AM
Post #22

Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Group Icon

Member No.: 4.464

I have never been the biggest fan of Duncans, I once tried a Jeff beck in one of my Les Pauls but I wasn't really happy with it, so it only lasted for about a week. In another one I am still using a Alnico II Pro which is a cool Rock pickup, but not really the optimum for metal. This video here gives a great overview I have to say, and my personal faves are the Distortion and the Invader, both sound pretty cool, I might give them a try. What impressed me even more is that guy playing though, I never heard of him before, I will definitely check his stuff out :-)

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 17 2012, 08:47 AM
Post #23

Group Icon

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 16 2012, 04:22 AM) *
I have never been the biggest fan of Duncans, I once tried a Jeff beck in one of my Les Pauls but I wasn't really happy with it, so it only lasted for about a week. In another one I am still using a Alnico II Pro which is a cool Rock pickup, but not really the optimum for metal. This video here gives a great overview I have to say, and my personal faves are the Distortion and the Invader, both sound pretty cool, I might give them a try. What impressed me even more is that guy playing though, I never heard of him before, I will definitely check his stuff out :-)

I"m sure he would be stoked to know your digging his riffs! He's a really good player named KEITH MERROW and has a big draw on youtube. Him and Ola Englund and a few others have generated a pretty large following. Ola is now playing with Six Feet Under. The more of Keith I hear the more I like his music. He uses RHODES amplifiers and I liked the tone so much I contacted RHODES to see if I could borrow one to review and one should be on it's way!

Here is keiths youtube page

https://www.youtube.com/user/diobolic5150?feature=watch

and here's Ola

https://www.youtube.com/user/fearedse

Thanks for your reply btw smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Aug 17 2012, 07:22 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

I already found him on Spotify and checked out his albums, really great stuff, he is a very cool player for sure. I also love the fact that his albums are instrumental, but not Yngwie like, with pure shreddin all over the place, he really rocks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 18 2012, 12:05 AM
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 17 2012, 02:22 PM) *
I already found him on Spotify and checked out his albums, really great stuff, he is a very cool player for sure. I also love the fact that his albums are instrumental, but not Yngwie like, with pure shreddin all over the place, he really rocks.

Well said. (Spotify RAWKS doesn't it?) His instrumental work is really focused on great structures, rythms, instrumental hooks, etc. The songs are really well built and played. He shows enormous restraint as you mentioned by not pulling an Yngwie all over everything as well. It really helps the songs work on their own terms, not just as something under a solo.

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Aug 18 2012, 10:47 AM
Post #26

Group Icon

Absolutely agreed. Spotify is really cool, I have the full subscription, so I can even use it on my iphone, very cool thing. And Merrow definitely rocks big time, I am really digging his stuff in the moment, sounds very fresh and powerfull.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 19 2012, 06:36 AM
Post #27

Group Icon

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 18 2012, 05:47 AM) *
Absolutely agreed. Spotify is really cool, I have the full subscription, so I can even use it on my iphone, very cool thing. And Merrow definitely rocks big time, I am really digging his stuff in the moment, sounds very fresh and powerfull.

I spoke with Keith Merrow on Facebook and and he asked me to thank you for your kind words on his playing and that he's a fan of your as well. We practically have a mutual admiration society! I made contact with him after I saw his Seymour Duncan Vid. He's a really fine player and a nice guy to boot!

-----------------------
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Aug 19 2012, 11:26 AM
Post #28

Group Icon

He likes Blind Guardian? Hehe, cool smile.gif Yeah, I guess we are just a couple of guys here that appreciate good music, and I definitely love his playing! And not only this, his songs rule. So he is on Facebook? I think I will look for him later smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 22 2012, 12:56 AM
Post #29

Group Icon

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 19 2012, 06:26 AM) *
He likes Blind Guardian? Hehe, cool smile.gif Yeah, I guess we are just a couple of guys here that appreciate good music, and I definitely love his playing! And not only this, his songs rule. So he is on Facebook? I think I will look for him later smile.gif

MARCUS: I see you are coming to Atlanta for PROG POWER! I"m trying to get tickets as we speak. I'd love to come out and see SINDBREED!

P.S. What about a column/thread to tell all of us struggling musicians some tales/anectdotes/memoires from your AMAZING history with Blind Guardian? I'm sure you may be tired of answering questions from all the interviews, but I'd certainly LOVE to read about how you guys came up. I"m sure everyone else would as well!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Aug 22 2012, 08:33 AM
Post #30

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 22 2012, 12:56 AM) *
P.S. What about a column/thread to tell all of us struggling musicians some tales/anectdotes/memoires from your AMAZING history with Blind Guardian? I'm sure you may be tired of answering questions from all the interviews, but I'd certainly LOVE to read about how you guys came up. I"m sure everyone else would as well!

Yes ! Definitely smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Aug 23 2012, 06:23 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

Yup, I'll be playing Prog Power with Sinbreed, gonna be fun, so lets meet there if you are coming too :-) And about the thread about our history with BG, might be fun, I'll think about something ;-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pourliver
post Aug 23 2012, 07:33 PM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 15.684

Wow that riff / intro is killer !

JB or Dimebucker for me ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 6 2012, 04:06 AM
Post #33

Group Icon

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 23 2012, 01:23 PM) *
Yup, I'll be playing Prog Power with Sinbreed, gonna be fun, so lets meet there if you are coming too :-) And about the thread about our history with BG, might be fun, I'll think about something ;-)

Sounds like a plan! I've got my tickets and am looking forward to the show! Would be great to meet you in person smile.gif

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Sep 6 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #34

Group Icon

I am also looking forward to that gig. I have played ProgPower with Blind Guardian in 2002, really nice festival.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 16 2012, 07:05 PM
Post #35

Group Icon

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 6 2012, 11:33 AM) *
I am also looking forward to that gig. I have played ProgPower with Blind Guardian in 2002, really nice festival.

I"m thrilled to say the SINBREED show was just AMAZING and the crowd went completely nuts which made it even better wink.gif It was great to meet you in person Marcus and I wanted to thank you for taking time to chat with me and my buddy Zen who went with me to the show. I'm going next year for certain and I hope you guys can come back smile.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
rheil
post Sep 18 2012, 06:45 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 16.635

Very cool video! Ive actually been thinking about trying the Full Shred, or the Custom.

The dimebucker is to fizzy sounding to me, same with the Alternative. I like that nice tight punchy sound.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 18 2012, 11:45 PM
Post #37

Group Icon

QUOTE (rheil @ Sep 18 2012, 01:45 PM) *
Very cool video! Ive actually been thinking about trying the Full Shred, or the Custom.

The dimebucker is to fizzy sounding to me, same with the Alternative. I like that nice tight punchy sound.

Really? What are you listening on? Just curious wink.gif But yeah, each has their own character. Try to play a guitar with the pickups you are thinking about if possible, with an amp similar to yours before you buy.

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
rheil
post Sep 19 2012, 05:12 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 16.635

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 18 2012, 10:45 PM) *
Really? What are you listening on? Just curious wink.gif But yeah, each has their own character. Try to play a guitar with the pickups you are thinking about if possible, with an amp similar to yours before you buy.

Todd

I have KRK Rokit 6 studio monitors. I don't know they do cut through nice but to me they have more of a fizzy sound. I've been told and don't know how true but the full shred you are able to achieve a wide range of styles from blues to metal. Nice clean tones supposedly as well. I have a Seymour Duncan invader and EMG 81/60. My clean tones always have some grit to it. I'd love to have the edge of a 81 but still get that warm clean tone.

+Quote Post
jwizzle
post Sep 20 2012, 03:42 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 14.186

QUOTE (Yash @ Aug 6 2012, 11:15 AM) *
biggrin.gif Loved them biggrin.gif

I am prefering the Alternative 8, JB-4, Distortion and Gus G biggrin.gif

I also kinda liked the Dimebucker, but for rhythm work only smile.gif

Not sure which ones they are, but its extremely clear to me, around 3:00, the black guitar, those pickups honestly carry the track, its a much more "holloish" sound if thats a word, its hard to explain, it got a hellish sound, love those pickups. \m/

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 21 2012, 02:48 AM
Post #40

Group Icon

QUOTE (rheil @ Sep 19 2012, 12:12 AM) *
I have KRK Rokit 6 studio monitors. I don't know they do cut through nice but to me they have more of a fizzy sound. I've been told and don't know how true but the full shred you are able to achieve a wide range of styles from blues to metal. Nice clean tones supposedly as well. I have a Seymour Duncan invader and EMG 81/60. My clean tones always have some grit to it. I'd love to have the edge of a 81 but still get that warm clean tone.

I've got KRK Rokit 6 as well good choice ! smile.gif But it looks like we are just hearing it a bit differently but that's why they make differnt pickups wink.gif The Dime pickup really cuts through the mix IMHO, but to each his own. Many of them are just to dim/dark for my taste but again, that what taste is for right? I really like ALNICO magnet pickups over ceramic by a LONG shot, but yet again, just me and my ears. I also don't like grit in my clean tone. Glassy as I can get it smile.gif So that's partly why I shared this vid. To show the impact of different pickups and let people see how folks react differently to same clip. So it seems to be working!

Todd

QUOTE (jwizzle @ Sep 19 2012, 10:42 PM) *
Not sure which ones they are, but its extremely clear to me, around 3:00, the black guitar, those pickups honestly carry the track, its a much more "holloish" sound if thats a word, its hard to explain, it got a hellish sound, love those pickups. \m/

At about 3:00 those are the JB pickups. I like em to smile.gif I like his tone overall in this even wtih all the variation. It's fun to see how many ways people can hear the same track.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 04:38 PM