Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anything I Should Add To My Keys Routine?
XJapan
post Jul 21 2012, 03:36 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 16.290

Hey there, being self taught, I never really took much notice of theory, I don't read music, but thought It could be very beneficial at the very least knowing all keys very well.

At the moment, I go through each key in the circle of 5ths, in this system

- memorizing the Major/relative minor triads for each key, (Ex, C E G, A C E, G B D, E G B, etc)
- Outlining 3 Major/Minor triads on the EBG string and 3 Pentatonic patterns that sits over them
- Playing the Seven 3 note per string patterns up the fretboard and down (And also doing Permutations..or "Shredmutations" (3s, 4s, 3rds, etc) )
- assortment of horizontal shred lines on the B and E strings
- E string horizontal lines
-playing through and finding different harmonic minor patterns to use
-Playing through triads systematically with the root on the B string (ex--C Maj and D min>-)

E-3-0-------0-3--5-1-------1-5
B-----1---1----------3---3----
G-------0--------------2------

-Diminished "Malmsteen sweep pattern" up and down the neck
-Knowing what sharps/flats are in each key, Example, G Major/e minor has F#, etc.

I wrote this up myself using other players methods as a skeleton.

Would anybody have an opinion on this method? It is very much personally catered to me and styles that i enjoy so keep that in mind.
I do see lots of ways of expanding it when i REALLY have it "pat down and in the bag" but I wonder if there's something simple that could be adjusted/introduced

Cheers in advance!

-X-
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Jul 22 2012, 02:34 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 9.820

Hey, it looks like a really good and comprehensive routine. Nothing to criticise here smile.gif

Also, perhaps try getting acquainted with how the different scale intervals sound over a particular chord so you have a better chance of targeting strong notes when soloing.

For example, just record a riff or chord drone in Em or E5.. then see how the different intervals sound over it. Pick your faves and work them into some phrases smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
XJapan
post Jul 23 2012, 01:09 AM
Post #3

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 16.290

Cheers Ben, Yeah I should toy around with an idea like that! Do you mean choose maybe Em, then choose notes from Em scale, playing them one by one to hear the different intervals?

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 22 2012, 01:34 PM) *
Hey, it looks like a really good and comprehensive routine. Nothing to criticise here smile.gif

Also, perhaps try getting acquainted with how the different scale intervals sound over a particular chord so you have a better chance of targeting strong notes when soloing.

For example, just record a riff or chord drone in Em or E5.. then see how the different intervals sound over it. Pick your faves and work them into some phrases smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Jul 23 2012, 08:51 AM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 9.820

QUOTE (XJapan @ Jul 23 2012, 01:09 AM) *
Cheers Ben, Yeah I should toy around with an idea like that! Do you mean choose maybe Em, then choose notes from Em scale, playing them one by one to hear the different intervals?

Yes that's right, or even try other modes based in E. So even if you've got a minor chord in the background, experiment with modes that have a major 3rd as well as that can have an odd, jarring effect.

If you have a drone or riff of E5, just E +5th, then you won't have any constraints of minor or major. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jul 23 2012, 08:51 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2017 - 03:21 AM