> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> John72's Essential Guitar Training
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 26 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #21

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

Glad to hear it wink.gif Let's see the next improved take biggrin.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John72
post Aug 27 2012, 03:20 AM
Post #22

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 13.866

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 26 2012, 10:41 AM) *
Glad to hear it wink.gif Let's see the next improved take biggrin.gif

Ok. Here it is!
http://soundcloud.com/gravesj/tapping-take-3/s-iYmcq

This post has been edited by John72: Aug 27 2012, 03:22 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 27 2012, 04:13 PM
Post #23

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey there hombre smile.gif The timing is still a bit off, you tend to hold the accentuated note a bit longer than the others, so this makes the whole take sound a little bit out of balance sad.gif

Try to get all the notes even, ok? Even if they are accentuated smile.gif Try to practice with a metronome playing 16th notes at this tempo - it'll keep you in the pocket wink.gif

What say you?

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
John72
post Aug 27 2012, 05:00 PM
Post #24

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 27 2012, 03:13 PM) *
Hey there hombre smile.gif The timing is still a bit off, you tend to hold the accentuated note a bit longer than the others, so this makes the whole take sound a little bit out of balance sad.gif

Try to get all the notes even, ok? Even if they are accentuated smile.gif Try to practice with a metronome playing 16th notes at this tempo - it'll keep you in the pocket wink.gif

What say you?

Cosmin

Ok. I'll keep at it!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 28 2012, 10:59 AM
Post #25

Instructor
Group Icon

Very good! Please let me know if you want to have another thing to work on, in the mean time, so that you can variate smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
John72
post Aug 28 2012, 02:16 PM
Post #26

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 28 2012, 09:59 AM) *
Very good! Please let me know if you want to have another thing to work on, in the mean time, so that you can variate smile.gif

Something else to work on at the same time would be great! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 28 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #27

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (John72 @ Aug 28 2012, 01:16 PM) *
Something else to work on at the same time would be great! smile.gif

Sure thing mate smile.gif Here's another tapping oriented lesson which I'm sure you'll find appealing biggrin.gif

This one will workout your finger coordination at the level of chordal playing with both hands smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...handed-tapping/

What say you?

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
John72
post Aug 28 2012, 07:14 PM
Post #28

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 28 2012, 05:48 PM) *
Sure thing mate smile.gif Here's another tapping oriented lesson which I'm sure you'll find appealing biggrin.gif

This one will workout your finger coordination at the level of chordal playing with both hands smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...handed-tapping/

What say you?

Cosmin

Sounds very good! biggrin.gif I'm on it!

In the last take I did of the tapping, did I hold the one note too long throughout the whole take? Or was it something I did only in some parts?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 29 2012, 07:56 AM
Post #29

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (John72 @ Aug 28 2012, 06:14 PM) *
Sounds very good! biggrin.gif I'm on it!

In the last take I did of the tapping, did I hold the one note too long throughout the whole take? Or was it something I did only in some parts?

About 70% of the take, I'd say smile.gif If it was happening in just a few spots, it would've been a focus problem but in this case it should be dealt with by doing another take. Glad you like the chordal one biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
John72
post Aug 29 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #30

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 29 2012, 06:56 AM) *
About 70% of the take, I'd say smile.gif If it was happening in just a few spots, it would've been a focus problem but in this case it should be dealt with by doing another take. Glad you like the chordal one biggrin.gif

Ok. Give me a couple of days to work on it more. I'm having trouble figuring out what I'm doing. So, I'm doing it REALLY slow to make sure everything sounds even, and not emphasizing one note or holding one too long. I'll get it!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Aug 30 2012, 09:11 AM
Post #31

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (John72 @ Aug 29 2012, 01:19 PM) *
Ok. Give me a couple of days to work on it more. I'm having trouble figuring out what I'm doing. So, I'm doing it REALLY slow to make sure everything sounds even, and not emphasizing one note or holding one too long. I'll get it!

Sure thing! And that's exactly what you have to do smile.gif Looking forward to seeing the thing happen! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
John72
post Sep 2 2012, 07:34 PM
Post #32

Learning Roadie

Hey Cosmin! Just wanted to check on my progress and make sure this is heading in the right direction.

http://soundcloud.com/gravesj/tapping-take-4/s-6TmU5

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 2 2012, 08:30 PM
Post #33

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey John, it's a bit better but I can still spot unevenness - can you try focusing on single arpeggio out of those many played in the take and slow it down for me? Somewhere at let's say, 75% of the original speed and play it against the metronome which is set at 16th notes at that speed and try to match EACH EXACT 16th note beat.

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
John72
post Sep 2 2012, 09:54 PM
Post #34

Learning Roadie

Yep. I can do that. I'll record a take like that and see how it goes.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 3 2012, 07:15 AM
Post #35

Instructor
Group Icon

Great man! smile.gif Trust me, it'll do you a lot of good and you'll even out for more similar things you will play in the future.

--------------------

+Quote Post
John72
post Sep 5 2012, 04:04 AM
Post #36

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 3 2012, 06:15 AM) *
Great man! smile.gif Trust me, it'll do you a lot of good and you'll even out for more similar things you will play in the future.

Yep! I don't want to be sloppy! I never realized the metronome could do 16th notes. I guess that shows I haven't used it enough. I've been setting it at 75 bpm with quarter notes, and doing the same thing. BUT, I could DEFINITELY hear what you were talking about after changing it to 16th notes. I can probably get it tighter, but here's the current state - at 75 Bpm.

http://soundcloud.com/gravesj/tapping-take-5/s-2wOWL

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 5 2012, 08:32 AM
Post #37

Instructor
Group Icon

YES! That's what I was talking about biggrin.gif

See? It's MUCH MUCH better! You can get it tighter, actually a bit cleaner indeed, but you're 95% there, so it's only a matter of building confidence. Let's raise the speed, shall we? We'll keep the same drill until you can play it at 100% with the metronome and then we'll use the backing, k?

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
John72
post Sep 5 2012, 06:33 PM
Post #38

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 5 2012, 07:32 AM) *
YES! That's what I was talking about biggrin.gif

See? It's MUCH MUCH better! You can get it tighter, actually a bit cleaner indeed, but you're 95% there, so it's only a matter of building confidence. Let's raise the speed, shall we? We'll keep the same drill until you can play it at 100% with the metronome and then we'll use the backing, k?

Cosmin

Cool! I'll work on getting it up to speed (and cleaning it up) and post again when I think I'm there. A lot of the noise is caused by my right hand muting the other strings. When I change right hand positions, my palm makes the scratchy sound against the wound strings. Less distortion helps, but the tapping gets less defined. Any tips to make it less noisy?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 6 2012, 08:18 AM
Post #39

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey John,

well, I don't use tapping that much in my playing but usually I just practice slow being focused on muting the strings as much as possible. THe left hand is used to it from all the legato practice I have done back when I was 20 - 21 (I used to let the metronome click away, put my right hand behind my head and play legato slow until I was able to play clean and percussive without any aid from the right hand - at some points it hurt really bad from the exhaustion, but I didn't care back then laugh.gif ) and if I focus on this task for an hour or so, I can get good results.

As for the right hand, the same principles apply - study slow and see that you move around without making undesired noises.

There are guitarists such as Guthrie Govan, that use a hair elastic to mute the strings smile.gif See his vids and notice he has this thingie on his last fret on the guitar.

Let's see the progress on the take mate biggrin.gif

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
John72
post Sep 8 2012, 07:44 PM
Post #40

Learning Roadie

Yeah, I think the extra noise is something I'm just going to have to work on. Even REALLY slow, I can't eliminate it. Although, tweaking some tone settings helped, it didn't completely take care of it. Oh well, maybe in time... it does seem to be a LITTLE better, though. But, I'm still concentrating mostly on the timing of everything.

I've seen the hair thing around his neck, just in front of the nut. I like the sound of the open strings, and I'm not sure I'm going to be doing so much tapping that I'll need something that drastic, but we'll see.

Anyway, here is the current state of playing this up to speed. Let me know what you think!

http://soundcloud.com/gravesj/tapping-take-6/s-Z82dx

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th March 2017 - 12:39 AM