> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

10 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Sumit's Chords And Melodies
sumitnxt
Jul 25 2013, 01:00 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
i have already made some progress on the task. i found out that memorizing the circle of fifths helps a lot.
cosmin please suggest can we simultaneously work also on the goal of strumming. I am a little confused with strumming.

( please read the below information i know its a long one but probably this would help you to understand my confusion with strumming )

first of all = there is a lot of difference between pop song strumming and rock guitar rhythm strumming.
Actually i love both. If you recall the song 2 steps behind from def leppard. that kind of strumming i can already do. also the strumming like " i used to love her = guns and roses " these 2 songs have been strummed in my idea not by following any down up down up kind of pattern. when i tried strumming these songs i strummed by heart and it sounded almost identical to the original.

Now here lies problem number 1 = even though i can strum quite efficiently with my hands i have never been able to learn the skill of fast strumming using the pick. so i cannot strum the songs that i play using the pick.

Now when it comes to rhythm guitar I like all genre's of music e.g from cliff Richard songs to Metallica. i like cat stevens on one hand heavy riffing metal songs also.
So here lies my problem number 2 = How much rhythm guitaring skills do i really need in order to accomplish our 2 year goal. perhaps we should go for the minimal and carry on further on rhythm guitaring goals after the 2 years time.

problem number 3 is if we decide to include sufficient amount of rhythm guitaring skills = should i working on various strumming patterns like down up down down up etc. there are lots of patterns. is it a right approach to learn them one by one ?

I would like to mention that through years of practice i have some fingerpicking skills as well. using which i don't do hyprid picking stuff to play lead but can instantly play an arpegio rhythm on almost any slow song . unlike actual fingerpicking however i don't use thumb. I am sure this skill can be developed into a proper fingerpicking so maybe we can think about working on that as well. but then again for the next 2 year goal should we include it or not i am not sure.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 26 2013, 07:53 AM
Instructor
Hey Sumit,

To sum things up, rhythm is an essential part of your training and there is no understanding lead without rhythm, they go hand in hand smile.gif

Question 1 - I have a task for you which I will talk about in a little movie, so stay tuned! It will help you get a hold of strumming with a pick!

Question 2 - more basic tasks which will get you used with various types of strumming can help a lot - at one point, the ear will be the one that will help you sort out ANYTHING, regardless of how it's played.

Question 3 - experience will gather in time and as I said at number 2 - at some point you will not think about up down up down etc. - your hands will automatically react as your brain already understands what it has to do.

Stay tuned for your first strumming/rhythm task!

Cosmin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Jul 26 2013, 12:39 PM
cosmin i need some advice regarding connecting the audio interface to speakers.
presently i have not connected any speakers and just using headphones with the focusrite audio interface.

there are 2 ways to connect audio out.

1. there is a headphone out at front which i am using for headphones.
2. there are two left right audio outs at back

all these 3 outs have the same kind of female socket = the one which is usually present in amplifiers to connect the guitar.

question 1
I have a logitech IPOD dock speakers ( great sound quality ) which also have 3.5mm audio input which i usually connect to my laptop or mobile phones. Do you think I can connect the front headphone out of audio interface to this 3.5mm audio input of speakers . will this not damage the audio interface ?

question 2
Do you think i can connect the 2 left right audio outs to Either my Desktop computer speakers which have left and right cables for input ?
Do you think i can connect my marshall 15 watt amp , which has only one guitar input socket
to either the front audio out or the back left-right audio out ?

Also since guitar is mono- can i direct only the one side at the back of audio interface ie the left or right usin the daw, so that without using any connectors i can connect using single guitar cable from audio interace to marshall amp guitar input ?

I am attaching the device manual.

thanks

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Scarlett_2i2___User_Guide.pdf ( 1.19MB ) Number of downloads: 130

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 26 2013, 09:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sumitnxt @ Jul 26 2013, 11:39 AM) *
cosmin i need some advice regarding connecting the audio interface to speakers.
presently i have not connected any speakers and just using headphones with the focusrite audio interface.

there are 2 ways to connect audio out.

1. there is a headphone out at front which i am using for headphones.
2. there are two left right audio outs at back

all these 3 outs have the same kind of female socket = the one which is usually present in amplifiers to connect the guitar.

question 1
I have a logitech IPOD dock speakers ( great sound quality ) which also have 3.5mm audio input which i usually connect to my laptop or mobile phones. Do you think I can connect the front headphone out of audio interface to this 3.5mm audio input of speakers . will this not damage the audio interface ?

question 2
Do you think i can connect the 2 left right audio outs to Either my Desktop computer speakers which have left and right cables for input ?
Do you think i can connect my marshall 15 watt amp , which has only one guitar input socket
to either the front audio out or the back left-right audio out ?

Also since guitar is mono- can i direct only the one side at the back of audio interface ie the left or right usin the daw, so that without using any connectors i can connect using single guitar cable from audio interace to marshall amp guitar input ?

I am attaching the device manual.

thanks

Hey Sumit - let's make things easy smile.gif

To connect the speakers, you will probably need a couple of these:

One for each speaker - they can be connected separately, yes? It is ideal to have two separate speakers and connect one to the left and one to the right output.

Regarding the guitar, I would connect the guitar without the Marshall and record using Guitar Rig or other such software - it will provide far better results than connecting the guitar in the amp and then using the line out from the amp to go into the line in for the instrument in the Scarlet.

And not to forget, here's your first rhythm/ strumming task:

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Jul 26 2013, 11:17 PM
thanks cosmin you rock smile.gif

regarding speakers here is a few things -

1. I am not talking about recording guitar here , I understand i don't need speakers for that just the headphones is good enough. I am talking about practicing guitar with guitar rig effects and speakers.

So my Setup is

Electric Guitar > Audio interface Input > Guitar Rig Effects on laptop > Audio Interface output > Speakers

2. studio monitor speakers are quite expensive and i can't buy them right now so thinking about using marshall amp as a speaker.

3. Can i connect the Marshall Amp to Audio interface Without burning the audio interface in any way ?

focusrite output

marshall amp input

This post has been edited by sumitnxt: Jul 27 2013, 01:21 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 27 2013, 07:58 AM
Instructor
Now I understand what you mean - you want to use the Marshall as a monitor smile.gif Hmmmm, I don't think that would be a problem in the technical sense, but it would not serve the purpose of the interface - you should find a way to connect your monitors or work with the headphones - I think that until you get a pair of dedicated monitors, the headphones are the best solution.

The idea is that if you use Guitar Rig in your DAW and run the guitar straight into your interface, you don't need the Marshall. The Guitar Rig software and the Scarlet will take care of all the work.

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Jul 27 2013, 08:04 AM
thanks cosmin. that answers it smile.gif

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Jul 28 2013, 06:25 AM
hi cosmin,

first of all i have done the strumming task you gave and will post the video soon.
right now i have one question for you -

How can i quickly record guitar practice video so that i hear the guitar rig sound in the webcam ? One way is to record the audio in cubase and muted video in webcam and mix the two. but that is a bit lengthy process.

When i select ( Line in from focusrite ) in the webcam i am able to record guitar but without the effects of virtual amp.

I don't wan't to use the mic , so is there any way to do this ?

I am also posting this as a forum post so that others can answer as well.

This post has been edited by sumitnxt: Jul 28 2013, 06:26 AM

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Jul 28 2013, 08:30 AM
Hi Cosmin -

I got worried with bass not coming from focusrite but problem was solved when i changed the cables and Y connector.

I have still one question though - It is very convinient for me to connect the headphone out of focusrite to the speakers as compared to the Left-Right Line outs from focusrite ? But will it be safe to connect headphone out to speakers instead of headphone ?

This post has been edited by sumitnxt: Jul 28 2013, 10:04 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 28 2013, 02:40 PM
Instructor
Hey Sumit, my friend!

Hmmmm, the best and most hi quality video/ audio recording would definitely be the one which you would obtain by using the first method - mounting the web cam video with muted sound, with the sound recorded through the Scarlet. It is lengthier, but once you nail the thing, you're good to go smile.gif

On the other hand, why would you like to connect the headphones where the speakers should be? I mean - the slots for the speakers are one for the right one for the left - for the headphones you only have 1 jack smile.gif Use the headphones dedicated out and you should be good.

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Jul 28 2013, 03:05 PM
i agree with both your points smile.gif
thanks

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 28 2013, 03:19 PM
Instructor
wink.gif let's see the vids rolling amigo!

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Jul 29 2013, 06:14 PM
https://soundcloud.com/sumitnxt/practice-dorian-phrasing-muris

hi cosmin,

this is my first recording using scarlet and cubase. Its a practice session of GMC lesson by muris.
This is quite basic because , I am still learning how to get good tone and better recording quality .
Maybe you could help me with some tips e.g. i don't even know what a compressor does smile.gif
and what should be the sequence of a chain when creating a tone.

Will try to post the strumming video tommorow.

thanks.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 30 2013, 07:41 AM
Instructor
Hey Sumit - out of what I can hear, this tone is not bad at all - now, the piece seems a bit too difficult for you at this point and it is not played clean and with good timing, so I would suggest orienting towards simpler stuff, if you want to do test recordings. You need to see how your tone sounds, so you need clear long notes at the beginning.

Now regarding tone building, it's a matter of trial and error - I am not a user of digital guitar emulating devices. I like tube based gear and analogical devices, so I can't tell you too much about this - you need to follow your ears and use the forum for more info on using Guitar Rig. Todd Simpson is the man to speak with when it comes down to using such software smile.gif

But, please, post more samples of your tones - the ones you will build, ok? I can tell you what sounds good or bad, for certain and possibilities on making it sound better smile.gif

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Jul 31 2013, 02:24 PM
hi cosmin , here is the 16th notes strumming practice video

and also i recorded a strumming practise for a song called a horse with no name so that you can assess my areas of improvements.

Please work with me to get this strumming song right. can we get this song perfect in all respect ?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 1 2013, 11:20 AM
Instructor
Hey Sumit - I think that these two examples that you recorded are perfect in order to make you understand what you have to correct in what regards the first one - the exercise I gave you. You are playing it with the same shuffle feel as the second one, but you should play it straight. 16th notes not dotted 16th notes - play 4 strokes over each beat without the shuffle feel - you need to make it sound straight. Listen to the recording in the video I sent and try to emulate the feel I have in there.

As for the second video - I think it's pretty much ok - but is that how all the song sounds like? You have slight chord shifting problems - by that, I mean that you push some notes a bit too hard when changing the chord shapes - that will disappear once you become more and more acquainted with the shapes.

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Aug 2 2013, 07:54 AM
hi cosmin, thanks for guidance.

I noticed the shuffle feel.

here is second attempt at the 16ths excercise

I also recorded two excercise videos of 8ths
mixed 8ths

all 8ths

I noticed that while making the upsktrokes i was not feeling confident that the strum was going to sound right.
Can we arrive at creating a daily strum routine to enhance stamina and sound.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 2 2013, 10:36 AM
Instructor
Hey there my friend - of course we can smile.gif It is part of your goal, right?

Now, before doing that, I would very much like to help you correct your approach towards the videos that you posted:

1) The 16th notes one is still having a shuffle feel - please practice by focusing on excluding this feel.

2) In the second video - the only thing that should demand a bit of attention is when you are shifting the second chord - the shift is a bit delayed, so try to get it on the beat, ok?

3) Indeed, the upstrokes seem to be a little bit delayed - it's simply a matter of balance - be focused on this when practicing them, ok?

Record 4 bars of each of these exercises in one video, ok? If they are good, we can move forward! biggrin.gif

Please let me know if there are any questions!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Aug 11 2013, 04:17 AM
Hi Cosmin,

thanks for the support.
I have a question for you today -
what kind of strategy is involved in guitar playing of this video.
I am guessing that this person is not composed the tune in advanced and is improvising the scales.
As your student i know that you advice that the tune should be played using your voice first. But in this case I don't think the person is having the time to use his voice. Is another strategy involved here ? ( guitar playing starts at 37 seconds )

This post has been edited by sumitnxt: Aug 11 2013, 04:19 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 11 2013, 08:31 AM
Instructor
Hello Sumit smile.gif

It's simply a pentatonic improvisation - when the guitar starts at 0:37, he plays around the pentatonic scale and phrases in a bluesy style. Basically, you need to have a good grasp on the following:

- learn the pentatonic scale
- listen to a lot of John Mayer
- work on your articulation skills, because, as you can see there's a lot of bends and vibrato in that phrase

The Two Rock is John Mayer's amplifier - have you listened to John Mayer? He is a very well known blues/ pop player. If you want to have a go at this style, definitely listen to his album called Continuum - released in 2006. And furthermore, you can take a look at these lessons:

Mine is a bit more oriented towards his lyrical side while Ivan's is more oriented towards John's bluesier side smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/John-Mayer-Style-Ballad/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...r-style-lesson/

Let me know if everything is cool, aye?

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:12 PM