Gettin' A Mesa Dual Rec Maverick!
derper
Sep 27 2012, 07:18 PM
Learning Tone Master

Found one used yesterday for only $599 usd, because someone wrote all over the tolex with sharpie! I'll be happy to paint over it, or cover it with stickers. The only other one I could find, was on ebay "buy it now" for $1499. Picking it up friday.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 27 2012, 07:33 PM
Instructor
Great amp! And you got an amazing deal! Congrats man!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
GregH
Sep 27 2012, 09:43 PM
GMC:er
If you want, Sharpie ink can usually be cleaned off with alcohol (like rubbing alcohol). Try a small area first to make sure it works well with the white Tolex. Then if it doesn't hurt the Tolex, soak a rag with alcohol and let it sit on it. As much as possible blot, don't wipe. After that, soap and water and a scrub brush (plastic bristle). I have tried this on several amps. In some cases, I have gotten all of the ink marks up without collateral damage. But be cautious, I don't want to have to apologise. smile.gif
Oh, and Great Amp. You should be very happy with it.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 27 2012, 09:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
WOW man congratulations! That sounds like a great deal. Try it out and if it sounds great - get it! You can always find a workaround for marks on the tolex.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 27 2012, 10:17 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks for the detailed tip! My buddy told me that in his lab, they write on "everything" with sharpies and just wipe it off with alcohol. But, the tolex has more texture, so I appreciate the tips/experience you shared.

And I'm not much for the aesthetics, so worst case scenario I can use a ton of stickers/paint over it"staple some other cloth over it. But I'm hoping the alcohol saves me that effort.

QUOTE (GregH @ Sep 27 2012, 01:43 PM) *
If you want, Sharpie ink can usually be cleaned off with alcohol (like rubbing alcohol). Try a small area first to make sure it works well with the white Tolex. Then if it doesn't hurt the Tolex, soak a rag with alcohol and let it sit on it. As much as possible blot, don't wipe. After that, soap and water and a scrub brush (plastic bristle). I have tried this on several amps. In some cases, I have gotten all of the ink marks up without collateral damage. But be cautious, I don't want to have to apologise. smile.gif
Oh, and Great Amp. You should be very happy with it.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
GregH
Sep 28 2012, 12:06 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what store did you find it in?

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 28 2012, 12:28 AM
Learning Tone Master
Sure, but I'm telling myself that you are "Greg Howe" and that you'll come give me a guitar lesson next time you're in Portland! tongue.gif

Trade Up Music, 2 locations one in NE on Alberta and one in SE on Division. But my FAVORITE shop for most purchases, is Centaur Guitar on NE Sandy. You won't find a better staff, or effects pedal selection. Also, for high-end/vintage gear....Old Town Music is a must as well.

Those are my top 3 favorite shops. But it always depends on what I'm looking for, and what price range.

QUOTE (GregH @ Sep 27 2012, 04:06 PM) *
If you don't mind me asking, what store did you find it in?

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
GregH
Sep 28 2012, 12:37 AM
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 27 2012, 11:28 PM) *
Sure, but I'm telling myself that you are "Greg Howe" and that you'll come give me a guitar lesson next time you're in Portland! tongue.gif

Trade Up Music, 2 locations one in NE on Alberta and one in SE on Division. But my FAVORITE shop for most purchases, is Centaur Guitar on NE Sandy. You won't find a better staff, or effects pedal selection. Also, for high-end/vintage gear....Old Town Music is a must as well.

Those are my top 3 favorite shops. But it always depends on what I'm looking for, and what price range.

Sorry on the Greg Howe part. smile.gif
If you go to Vancouver, then check out Briz on Washington street next to the interstate bridge. They are offically a pawn shop but what they really are is a used music equipment store that also gives loans. The prices vary from a little high to "you have got to be kidding" cheap. The longer something has been in the store, the lower price. I bought my 1979 Marshall Super Lead there for under $900. And a 100 watt Kustom combo (quad 100 or something like that) for $40.
It is on my way home from work so I usually stop by a couple times a month to look around.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 28 2012, 02:47 AM
Nice! That's a GREAT BUY! You may want to have it re tolexed at some point. I would never sell it.

Todd

QUOTE (derper @ Sep 27 2012, 02:18 PM) *

Found one used yesterday for only $599 usd, because someone wrote all over the tolex with sharpie! I'll be happy to paint over it, or cover it with stickers. The only other one I could find, was on ebay "buy it now" for $1499. Picking it up friday.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 28 2012, 11:26 AM
Instructor
It looks great!! If it sounds the same way, GET IT biggrin.gif The price sure seems more than a bargain!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 28 2012, 03:50 PM
Instructor
It's beautiful!! I would like to have one of this in my house... biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Sep 28 2012, 04:01 PM
Learning Tone Master
I think it is an opened back combo, if it is, look for an extra speaker with a closed back and it will sound amazing
not to downplay your nice grab , I would like on if I could afford it

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 28 2012, 11:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
One of the best guitarists in Portland, I recently noticed, runs stereo and uses both. He was "all about" it, so it's worth exploring a closed speaker extension.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Sep 28 2012, 08:01 AM) *
I think it is an opened back combo, if it is, look for an extra speaker with a closed back and it will sound amazing
not to downplay your nice grab , I would like on if I could afford it

I am sad to report..... rubbing alcohol (91%) didn't work. The sharpie/marker has set in so long, it's in there for good. For now, some stickers until I figure out a better solution.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 29 2012, 04:52 AM
Learning Tone Master
Ahhhh YEAH!! There is just something about the way I personally interact, musically, with a Mesa Boogie. The cleans are so "percussive" and feel way less "transparent" than Fender cleans. I truly believe that tone is in the fingers, but when you find the right gear to compliment that tone....the results are amazing. Mesa is MY tone! biggrin.gif

My wife immediately was astounded by the thick, jazzy tone, and clarity and attack in individual notes. I'm going to have to order a pedal to switch channels to really get the benefits of that dual rec!!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 29 2012, 07:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 29 2012, 03:52 AM) *
Ahhhh YEAH!! There is just something about the way I personally interact, musically, with a Mesa Boogie. The cleans are so "percussive" and feel way less "transparent" than Fender cleans. I truly believe that tone is in the fingers, but when you find the right gear to compliment that tone....the results are amazing. Mesa is MY tone! biggrin.gif

My wife immediately was astounded by the thick, jazzy tone, and clarity and attack in individual notes. I'm going to have to order a pedal to switch channels to really get the benefits of that dual rec!!

It's a good thing that Mrs. Derper can observe such stuff! biggrin.gif Lucky guy!

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 30 2012, 07:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
Ha! biggrin.gif

Yeah, she has a rather keen ear for what I'm doing, and has been a huge supporter and fan of all of my projects.... it's very nice to have that very honest feedback. Like, last night we played the Portland Retro Gaming Expo and she was quick to "signal" me to raise the volume slightly to cut through the mix. The biggest problem was, due to stage/projector placement, I was next to our second guitarist. We have to play LOUD, but it's a delicate mix. He was slightly too loud, in my opinion, but I couldn't quite crank it up to make things "better". Sure, you'd hear ME a bit more, but at that point the mix doesn't sound good for the whole band if we are fighting to play over each other. So I just hang back, and crank up on solos and melody lines. wink.gif

It's also nice that she knows me, and my style/abilities, so if I play a bad show she won't just lie and say "great show". I prefer the honesty, because not every show can be the best. And I like to analyze the variables that make for a good/bad or GREAT show performance!!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 28 2012, 11:46 PM) *
It's a good thing that Mrs. Derper can observe such stuff! biggrin.gif Lucky guy!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 1 2012, 01:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 30 2012, 06:11 PM) *
Ha! biggrin.gif

Yeah, she has a rather keen ear for what I'm doing, and has been a huge supporter and fan of all of my projects.... it's very nice to have that very honest feedback. Like, last night we played the Portland Retro Gaming Expo and she was quick to "signal" me to raise the volume slightly to cut through the mix. The biggest problem was, due to stage/projector placement, I was next to our second guitarist. We have to play LOUD, but it's a delicate mix. He was slightly too loud, in my opinion, but I couldn't quite crank it up to make things "better". Sure, you'd hear ME a bit more, but at that point the mix doesn't sound good for the whole band if we are fighting to play over each other. So I just hang back, and crank up on solos and melody lines. wink.gif

It's also nice that she knows me, and my style/abilities, so if I play a bad show she won't just lie and say "great show". I prefer the honesty, because not every show can be the best. And I like to analyze the variables that make for a good/bad or GREAT show performance!!

Oh man! That's so great! Usually girlfriends/ wives look at things like this like it's some sort of child's play... It actually is, if you do it with honesty and true feelings smile.gif But it's a very complex activity which should not be taken lightly by anyone in the exterior, just because it doesn't involve working behind a desk or breaking your back into a factory. My girl also supports me and she's there at every show, but she can't tell me about techie stuff - I have to teach her biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Oct 1 2012, 01:50 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:12 AM