Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Todd's Backing, saturdays chat
post Sep 28 2012, 03:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4.733

well, this is what I have been trying to put to the backing Todd had for us in saturdays chat
yes I know , I am still not fast enough for this track, but I did not have a slower track to work it up to speed( at this time)
am happy with the progress , so far though
and I believe playing along with an instructor has been crucial for me getting to the next level and will encourage everyone to try to make chats as I believe your timing will greatly improve( even if you use a metronome, which I do daily) Playing in the chats will much more train your ear!

quick story , my band broke up in 03 ,I stopped playing for 4 or 5 years,( if you want to hear some tracks , they are under" jstcrsn" in the GMC radio), never could however alt pick correctly, got the crazy idea of picking up the guitar to conquer this beast , acquiring so many bad habits and getting rusty as could be , here I am

I have been making todd chats pretty regularly for the past 5 or 6 months and what has really helped( i think) is all the double picking he has us practice
well, I think I should go into work for now as to not make the boss made( I am the boss)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 29 2012, 12:19 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Todd here smile.gif Congrats on all your progress! Glad the chats are helping! Sounds like your using the lick we did during chat which is great to see smile.gif One thing I'd suggest, as you work up to playing faster, focus at first at playing much much much slower. Speed is something that just comes. It's really a byproduct of playing with a high degree of precision. If you can play in a precise manner slow, then speeding up almost happens on it's own and is very natural.

So go back and record a solo over this backing that focuses on each and every note. Make sure each one is in key, each bend, etc. And consider where each one goes or doesn't go. This is the real secret sauce in building solo smile.gif

In terms of KEY, that backing starts of in C# so your first lick would work as something from the Pentatonic/Blues scale, in C#. Then there is a chord change to the key of B. So again, pentatonic/blues licks in B would work. Just move your hand down two frets from C# and your in key smile.gif

The last bit of the solo section is in B Minor so that lick we did in chat or any B Minor lick would work.

Shoot me your results!

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2016 - 10:24 AM