> How Do I Roll My Finger When Sweeping?, Help me
Pavel
post Jun 19 2007, 01:51 PM
Post #21

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 1.055

QUOTE (JOhn @ Jun 19 2007, 01:16 PM) *
ok i going to take Pavel's advice because even you fkalich recommended it and two again zero lol

but just to make sure in the arpeggio above in the quote, i play the 14 only with my index finger and the same down right?

No - you play it with ring or middle finger (which one is better for you) - i use middle finger for those shapes!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Jun 19 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #22

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 17 2007, 12:08 PM) *
I agree with what you say. However, while Li seems personable enough, he does not explain it as well as pavel does. if you look at the lessons and some forum threads this horse have been beaten to death.

I totally agree with you, Pavels explaination enabled me to get it right off the bat. I just thought he might benifit from seeing it from a different angle! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
JOhn
post Jun 20 2007, 07:10 AM
Post #23

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.933

thats for all the help it really helped smile.gif

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Jun 20 2007, 07:46 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (JOhn @ Jun 19 2007, 06:16 AM) *
ok i going to take Pavel's advice because even you fkalich recommended it and two again zero lol

but just to make sure in the arpeggio above in the quote, i play the 14 only with my index finger and the same down right?

I would not say play the 14 with index, i would say ring finger. i would say it is:

1 4 3 3 3 1 4 1 3 3 3 4 1
---------------12-17-12------------------------
------------14-----------14--------------------
----------14----------------14----------------
-------14----------------------14-------------
12h-16---------------------------16p-12----------
------------------------------------------------

some might play the 14 with the 2nd finger, i guess. but not the index. you would not play it as a bar chord though, the index finger tip would be on the 6th string, and shift into position over the 1st string, and then back to the 6th.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 20 2007, 07:53 AM

+Quote Post
Ryan
post Jun 20 2007, 08:01 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 1.345

QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 19 2007, 03:21 AM) *
Well if it works good for you than it's great!!

And i also noticed my thumb position is changing depending on what i am playing. Think i will work a bit more on that! smile.gif
Anyway - nice discussion!
John: As i said - visit the Luca Turilli Style lesson - i think it's in the last video - those sweeps you are wondering about - i give a little tip on them there! smile.gif

Is it bad to change thumb postions? because when i do Legato. My thumb goes really far down. But when i bend, or w/e else. I have way more control with my thumb just poking out of the top of the neck, not even half an inch!! Is that bad or what?

QUOTE (JOhn @ Jun 19 2007, 06:16 AM) *

Dont use your Index use your ring, or middle(like me biggrin.gif). Using your index would make nosense what so ever!!

This post has been edited by Ryan: Jun 20 2007, 08:03 AM

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
JOhn
post Jun 20 2007, 08:20 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 1.933

QUOTE (Ryan @ Jun 20 2007, 05:01 PM) *
Is it bad to change thumb postions? because when i do Legato. My thumb goes really far down. But when i bend, or w/e else. I have way more control with my thumb just poking out of the top of the neck, not even half an inch!! Is that bad or what?
Dont use your Index use your ring, or middle(like me biggrin.gif). Using your index would make nosense what so ever!!

yeh i got my index finger mixed up with my third finger (i don't know what its called laugh.gif )

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Jun 20 2007, 12:38 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (Ryan @ Jun 20 2007, 02:01 AM) *

This has always been a taboo in classical guitar. Some may say that this taboo is not relevant to electric guitar. Myself, i feel (for reasons that seem self-evident to me) that unless you have problems with your hands (pain), or possibly just don't have very strong hands/wrists, you don't help yourself cradling the neck. I don't think it is so much thumb positioning, it is the collapsing of the thumb and resting the palm (below the thumb) on the back of the neck. I think that if you will find that you can bend a string just fine without doing that, you will just modify your technique accordingly (rely more on wrists for strength than leveraging with the palm below the thumb).

That being said, people will disagree. Most do what you are saying, including the guitar gods past and present.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 20 2007, 12:45 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2017 - 05:55 AM