3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
How Much Do You Practice?
The Uncreator
Jun 18 2007, 05:51 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
A Normal day i get about 5 hours of practice, on a day with nothing to do, no plans or work, i can get up to 12-15 hours, and thats about twice a week at most.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 18 2007, 05:56 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 18 2007, 11:51 AM) *
A Normal day i get about 5 hours of practice, on a day with nothing to do, no plans or work, i can get up to 12-15 hours, and thats about twice a week at most.

Lucky 12-15 thats sounds so much fun!!

I think the most I have ever practiced in one day though. Would be 16 hours. I stayed up late that night tongue.gif!1

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 18 2007, 06:09 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
My record is 27 hours, that was when i got a new amp AND Guitar.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 18 2007, 06:18 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 18 2007, 12:09 PM) *
My record is 27 hours, that was when i got a new amp AND Guitar.

yea if i try that then well i wont get bored. Ill get to the point that it feels like i am gonna pass out for staying up for so long. So if i could i probably would. I would ahve to take like caffeine pills and stuff to stay awake, but it would be worth it tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 18 2007, 07:18 PM
Lets go fishing!
I do 3 hours a day intensive practice. I really push myself during that time. My hand generally feels like its going to fall of afterwards laugh.gif

And on that subject, I think when people talk about practicing X so many hours, I often wonder exactly what those hours are filled with. I should imagin 2-3 hours intensive training a day would be alot more benificially than a long drawn out session !:)

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Jun 18 2007, 07:21 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Jun 18 2007, 07:42 PM
Practice guitar till you play one full song without any mistakes, then take a guitar solo you've never tried and play it till you perfect it in your opinion. Then practice improvising and things you feel uncomfortable with.

Could be 1-4 hours depending on what you choose.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 18 2007, 07:43 PM
Mattuck explain yourself on "intensive training". Do you push down harder on the frets tongue.gif haha sorry excuse that one. Practice one thing over and over and over and over etc. etc.. Do you sit there and do legato non-stop literally non-stop for an hour or two?

This post has been edited by Ryan: Jun 18 2007, 07:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 18 2007, 08:53 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jun 18 2007, 07:43 PM) *
Mattuck explain yourself on "intensive training". Do you push down harder on the frets tongue.gif haha sorry excuse that one. Practice one thing over and over and over and over etc. etc.. Do you sit there and do legato non-stop literally non-stop for an hour or two?

Ryan, yes pretty much. I start off with sweeping shapes for roughly 2 hours. I repeat the patterns for an thing up to half an hour a shape. Then i move onto alternate picking exercises, where I will play something over and over untill its perfect.

It just suits me i guess ! smile.gif I know everyone has there own way of doing things, which is great ! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jun 18 2007, 08:58 PM
God i wish i had the time to make guitar my whole life and practice like some of you guys do smile.gif i hate school. my plan is to finish and open a guitar shop and then play allll day long smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 18 2007, 09:54 PM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jun 18 2007, 02:58 PM) *
God i wish i had the time to make guitar my whole life and practice like some of you guys do smile.gif i hate school. my plan is to finish and open a guitar shop and then play allll day long smile.gif

Sounds awesome dude!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Jun 18 2007, 09:55 PM
Some serious practice times are being quoted here!

I'm trying hard to maintain 1 hour each evening during the week and a bit more at weekends, so maybe 10 hours a week in total. Like some of the other people who've contributed to this thread, for me it's a question of balancing the time I spend on guitar with all the other aspects of my life. I admire the dedication of anyone prepared to devote 8+ hours a day to guitar practice, but it's just not feasible for me. On the plus side, I find that having limited practice time does motivate me to make the very best use of what time I have. One of the really inspirational aspects of a lot of the material on GMC is how each lesson gives many different areas of guitar playing an intense and simultaneous work-out!

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jun 18 2007, 10:07 PM
I like to get 2 hours a day in . School is almost out and life is good right now so the guitar will be played all summer. Im getting to that point were my peers and my guitar teacher, etc etc consider me talented. But as soon as I relize I have talent thats when i go down hill so I like to think of myself as terrible in order to acomplish the goals I want to accomplish. so overall about 14-20 hours a week.

- john biggrin.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jun 18 2007, 10:23 PM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jun 18 2007, 07:58 PM) *

No time to play when you're running a business. Unless you don't have any customers.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 18 2007, 11:24 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm not sure - I sit around and play all day pretty much. I'd say upwards of 6 hours a day, but it's not structured or anything, and kind of off and on. However I have noticed big improvements since I started doing it, so I guess it's working laugh.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Lurgen
Jun 19 2007, 01:57 AM
I think the biggest insight this thread has given me so far is that a huge number of our forum regulars are still in school smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Fender American Vintage 1957 Stratocaster, Fender American Highway One, Maton MS2000 Deluxe
Amps: Fender Hotrod Deluxe, Roland Cube 60, Fender Frontman 25R
Effects: Boss BD-2, OS-2, DD-20, TU-2

+Quote Post
edgor67
Jun 19 2007, 02:15 AM
Since I started in Nov I'm up to 2 hours a night. My alarm goes off at 4am. I'm home from work by 4pm. I take care of my grown up stuff and dinner with my lovely wife and sneak off to practice. I do scales,riffs, blues 1,2,3, and am working on Metal Blues and a Hendrix CD Rom. I feel bad when I'm whipped and don't practice (like tonight). I'll get back into my routine tomorrow. I had a busy weeked with travel so I'm road lagged. I'll evolve to 3 hours a night. I have to stay up until 1030 or 1100pm or I woun't sleep through the night. Don't get old. Sleep becomes a necessary inconvience. ROCK ON my friend.

g

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 19 2007, 02:32 AM
QUOTE (Lurgen @ Jun 18 2007, 07:57 PM) *
I think the biggest insight this thread has given me so far is that a huge number of our forum regulars are still in school smile.gif

Yea i just graduated. So thats why im able to get that nice 5 hours in a day, and sometimes a nice 12, but once im out on my own. I think it might drop sad.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lurgen
Jun 19 2007, 03:45 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jun 19 2007, 11:32 AM) *
Yea i just graduated. So thats why im able to get that nice 5 hours in a day, and sometimes a nice 12...

I hate you so much tongue.gif

Seriously though, enjoy the time while you have it. Work steals so much of your life that it's not funny sad.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Fender American Vintage 1957 Stratocaster, Fender American Highway One, Maton MS2000 Deluxe
Amps: Fender Hotrod Deluxe, Roland Cube 60, Fender Frontman 25R
Effects: Boss BD-2, OS-2, DD-20, TU-2

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 19 2007, 04:03 AM
QUOTE (Lurgen @ Jun 18 2007, 09:45 PM) *
I hate you so much tongue.gif

Seriously though, enjoy the time while you have it. Work steals so much of your life that it's not funny sad.gif

Yea i work to, but its only 30-40 hours a week!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jammer91
Jun 19 2007, 11:09 PM
Today i was REALLY REALLY busy going out with family and doing some errands (such as going to school on a holiday and arguing with my principal to let me drop all my science subjects and take commerce subjects).
I spent like half an hour looking up lessons on GMC and viewing them.
When i really got down to practicing it lasted for one hour.

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:39 PM