Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help Me Find Problems With My Technique?
Andrew English
post Nov 14 2012, 04:37 AM
Post #1

Learning Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 16.960

So I'm not quite there yet to be able to play "Linear Shred Zone" at 110bpm. I'm getting more comfortable with 100bpm, but there's still a few errors/timing issues. Is there anything wrong with my technique that you guys can see? I know the webcam quality is terrible but I really can't do much better at the moment sad.gif

Here's the video:

Click Me smile.gif

Thanks in advance!
Andrew
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Nov 14 2012, 10:15 AM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 9.820

Hail Andrew !

Thanks for uploading a video. Righto, apart from the bending and vibrato we spoke about I can't see anything that's holding you back at all. You're hand co ordination actually sounds very good. The only thing is that your left hand is sometimes hitting the wrong notes so that could be down to either just note having enough time to get acquainted with the patterns (most likely) or your left hand doesn't have much discipline. However I think it's the former because you can nail those shapes pretty well.

One thing I'm always saying to people is 'Give yourself time to get it right.' Many times, we fire off loads of repetitions of something but if all those reps have mistakes in then we're not teaching our brain how to do it right ! So, actually take the time to focus your mind on the fretboard and make sure your fingers are learning exactly where they need to be going.

It's like a computer.. if you install the program correctly, then it can run properly ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
post Nov 14 2012, 12:04 PM
Post #3

Learning Tone Master

Member No.: 11.929

Hello Andrew,

Ben is obviously the man when it comes to answering questions on his own lessons, but I just wanted to add a couple of words.

It seems to me as if the motions of your left hand, possibly also your right, are a bit bigger than necessary. Try the first shape at a tempo where you feel comfortable, stay with that shape instead of jumping to the next after two repetitions. Keep on playing it and see if you can go on at the same pace but lift your fingers just a tiny bit less away from the fretboard. Smaller motions are of course less energy consuming, but it could also prevent pressing/hammering your fingers too hard on the frets (which can sometimes cause an out-of-tune sound). Perhaps also have a look at your right hand motions (it's a bit difficult to see what's going on in this video resolution).

Rock on!

H4H

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 14 2012, 02:46 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

Hi mate! I agree with both comments above... I think that you could adjust the movement of both hands a bit to make it smaller, but you also have to keep on practicing and be patient. That's not a bad speed!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Andrew English
post Nov 14 2012, 07:35 PM
Post #5

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 16.960

Thanks everyone!

I do notice that my hands move a little much, but part of that issue is that my hands are so darn big that I have to exaggerate the movement to "make" them land on the right fret, as in, naturally they stretch much farther than the notes I want to play. But I completely agree and will work on minimizing hand movement. That's also partially why I can't hit the right notes sometimes, so I guess the best approach would be to take it down a notch and get those movements perfect like Ben said.

Hopefully sometime next week (finals will be done -- I can dedicate all my time to guitar again smile.gif ) I will be able to do a REC!

Thanks!
Andrew

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 15 2012, 02:56 AM
Post #6

GMC:er
Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Nice! Your technique here is quite good. Congrats on that! The pick strikes are even and consisten as is the fingering. The one thing that sticks out is that around time index 3:08 there is a bend that seems a little under cooked. GIve that one bit a listen and see if you hear what I mean?

Todd

QUOTE (Andrew English @ Nov 13 2012, 10:37 PM) *
So I'm not quite there yet to be able to play "Linear Shred Zone" at 110bpm. I'm getting more comfortable with 100bpm, but there's still a few errors/timing issues. Is there anything wrong with my technique that you guys can see? I know the webcam quality is terrible but I really can't do much better at the moment sad.gif

Here's the video:

Click Me smile.gif

Thanks in advance!
Andrew

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 08:04 AM