Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Interactive Frequency Chart
vonhotch
post Nov 29 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 15.741

Hey guys, I came across this chart with the different frequencies of different instruments. It is interactive and gives details about different frequency spectrums and details about the frequencies for each instrument. Thought it was cool and would be a great tool for learning to eq and mix. Has anybody else seen it, what do you think?

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/re...ain_display.htm

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 29 2012, 09:27 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Small world smile.gif I posted this exact chart a while back. I thought it was a great way to visualize the auditory spectrum. But it's a bit technical for most folks.

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Nov 29 2012, 12:19 PM) *
Hey guys, I came across this chart with the different frequencies of different instruments. It is interactive and gives details about different frequency spectrums and details about the frequencies for each instrument. Thought it was cool and would be a great tool for learning to eq and mix. Has anybody else seen it, what do you think?

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/re...ain_display.htm

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
post Nov 29 2012, 09:47 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 14.398

Man this is awesome!!! I was looking for something like that for a long time! Thank you or sharing!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Nov 30 2012, 02:17 AM
Post #4

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

Hey - thanks for sharing this!
Its very useful smile.gif

Tip: hovering mouse over the instruments shows you more details about each (for example where to bottom or fingers attack is for bass).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
vonhotch
post Nov 30 2012, 02:23 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 29 2012, 08:27 PM) *
Small world smile.gif I posted this exact chart a while back. I thought it was a great way to visualize the auditory spectrum. But it's a bit technical for most folks.

I had a feeling I wasn't the only one who has seen this. And visualizing things is exactly why I liked it, help to understand what frequencies do what and be able to move buttons on an eq with purpose instead of random adjustments. And also what instruments might conflict in a mix. In fact it's why I have been diggin' this compressor and video. The video is for a specific compressor, but with the graph it really helps to see what happens when adjusting a compressor. I think anyway. smile.gif

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Nov 29 2012, 08:47 PM) *
Man this is awesome!!! I was looking for something like that for a long time! Thank you or sharing!!!!

I'm glad that I could share something useful to you! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
post Nov 30 2012, 10:32 AM
Post #6

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 14.225

Great compression lesson

--------------------
Currently Working on

PosterBoy's Modern Riffing with Gabriel

PosterBoy's Bootcamp with Todd

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Axe Fx Ultra - GCP Pro

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Nov 30 2012, 10:44 AM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

Just saw the pic Todd posted and it's great to now see the interactive version.. thanks to both of you ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
post Dec 1 2012, 08:24 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 17.078

That's an excellent chart. I've used it several times before when I got stuck mixing instruments I wasn't full familiar with regarding the frequency spectrum and where it should sit. I will say though take everything with a grain of salt, this chart is generally accurate but sometimes boosting the 4k on your violin isn't a good idea if your mix already has lots of 4k in it. Using this chart along with not only your ears, but a frequency analyzer plugin on your entire mix will help you out even more.

I use BlueCat's FreqAnalyst (completely free) at the very end of my chain (on my master output) so I can see where frequencies are lacking and where I should move things around to sit better. This also helps a lot when your room isn't acoustically treated (like mine) and you hear your mix outside of that room for the first time, wondering what went wrong. wink.gif

Thanks for posting this!

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
post Dec 1 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #9

You are welcome guys. And I will check out the Freqanalyst. I like free plugins. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Dec 2 2012, 09:42 AM
Post #10

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Dec 1 2012, 07:24 PM) *
I use BlueCat's FreqAnalyst (completely free) at the very end of my chain (on my master output) so I can see where frequencies are lacking and where I should move things around to sit better. This also helps a lot when your room isn't acoustically treated (like mine) and you hear your mix outside of that room for the first time, wondering what went wrong. wink.gif

That sounds interesting.. thanks for the tip !

--------------------

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
post Dec 2 2012, 10:02 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 2 2012, 08:42 AM) *
That sounds interesting.. thanks for the tip !

My pleasure! Let me know how you get along with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Dec 2 2012, 11:01 AM
Post #12

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Dec 1 2012, 07:24 PM) *
..., this chart is generally accurate but sometimes boosting the 4k on your violin isn't a good idea if your mix already has lots of 4k in it.

You also need to remember that chrts like this tend to place the focus only on the fundamental frequencies and gloss over the overtones and the wave shape. A lot of eq'ing has to take the latter two in to account.

Using this chart along with not only your ears, but a frequency analyzer plugin on your entire mix will help you out even more.

Thanks for posting this!

Frequency analysers will only take you so far and to be honest they are much better suited for zooming in on a problem frequency rather than trying to balance a mix. You need to get used to listening critically with your ears so that you can identify mix issues and how to deal with them rather than mix with your eyes. Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh but far too many people watch meters and scopes rather than really learning to listen. One of the first lessons here is learning to master with all the meters turned off.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
vonhotch
post Dec 2 2012, 07:39 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Dec 2 2012, 10:01 AM) *
You also need to remember that chrts like this tend to place the focus only on the fundamental frequencies and gloss over the overtones and the wave shape. A lot of eq'ing has to take the latter two in to account.

Frequency analysers will only take you so far and to be honest they are much better suited for zooming in on a problem frequency rather than trying to balance a mix. You need to get used to listening critically with your ears so that you can identify mix issues and how to deal with them rather than mix with your eyes. Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh but far too many people watch meters and scopes rather than really learning to listen. One of the first lessons here is learning to master with all the meters turned off.

When I first saw that compressor video I thought the graphs were great, but I can definately see how it could become a crutch. It did help to see things at first though. It helped to make some of the stuff I have read in articles to "click".

--------------------

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
post Dec 3 2012, 03:52 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Dec 2 2012, 10:01 AM) *

I should clarify. I recommended putting it on your master output so A) you can see it on a larger scale if need be and cool.gif so that you don't need to load the plugin a million times on each instrument track. Yes I agree it should not be used on an overall mix level. It should also not be used to mix. I use it the same way I learned how to hear guitar tone and differences between pedals. People told me what to listen for, and I heard it. Then I developed my ear quite quickly after learning HOW to listen, if that makes sense. I just find using these plugins great at telling you "Hey, there's a big peak here. Try lowering that and LISTEN to what changes." instead of "There's a big peak here, kill it." laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Dec 4 2012, 02:25 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

More SAGE advice here from Toni! This is a GREAT point. You really do need to learn to trust your ears in general which happens only by practice and with some good guidance. Sort of like playing guitar!!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Dec 2 2012, 09:52 PM) *
I should clarify. I recommended putting it on your master output so A) you can see it on a larger scale if need be and cool.gif so that you don't need to load the plugin a million times on each instrument track. Yes I agree it should not be used on an overall mix level. It should also not be used to mix. I use it the same way I learned how to hear guitar tone and differences between pedals. People told me what to listen for, and I heard it. Then I developed my ear quite quickly after learning HOW to listen, if that makes sense. I just find using these plugins great at telling you "Hey, there's a big peak here. Try lowering that and LISTEN to what changes." instead of "There's a big peak here, kill it." laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 06:45 AM