Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JamesT
post Dec 12 2012, 09:55 PM
Post #2

Accomplished Tone Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 4.872

I'm a big fan for sure. Have been for a long whle (since Moving Pictures was released ...showing how ancient I am!).
Realy though, we used to do a few Rush covers back then. ...Limelight, Fly by Night, Working Man, and Free Will. We actually pulled them off pretty well.

I was doing good learning and playing covers back then. But you know who really made me feel like a $hitty musician were (of course the more obvious ones) ...Yngwie just made me feel like quitting whenhis first album came out. Steve Vai made me think I would never be a modern rocker when he did the first album with DLR. And of course Eddie, even though some of his stuff I could pull off, just blew me away with his creative genius jsut about every time VH released a new album (still does). The whole 80s hairband era had some killer players that made me think "I'll just become a blues player." ... but then there was SRV and I had to think twice about how successful I could be. And since the 80s, the technical abilities of guitar players has just gone through the Stratosphere (maybe out to Jupiter even). In the end, I guess the lesson learned was to spend more time trying to sound like myself and hope that something emerges that's creative and appealing.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Dec 13 2012, 10:30 AM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 9.820

QUOTE (JamesT @ Dec 12 2012, 08:55 PM) *
I'm a big fan for sure. Have been for a long whle (since Moving Pictures was released ...showing how ancient I am!).
Realy though, we used to do a few Rush covers back then. ...Limelight, Fly by Night, Working Man, and Free Will. We actually pulled them off pretty well.

I was doing good learning and playing covers back then. But you know who really made me feel like a $hitty musician were (of course the more obvious ones) ...Yngwie just made me feel like quitting whenhis first album came out. Steve Vai made me think I would never be a modern rocker when he did the first album with DLR. And of course Eddie, even though some of his stuff I could pull off, just blew me away with his creative genius jsut about every time VH released a new album (still does). The whole 80s hairband era had some killer players that made me think "I'll just become a blues player." ... but then there was SRV and I had to think twice about how successful I could be. And since the 80s, the technical abilities of guitar players has just gone through the Stratosphere (maybe out to Jupiter even). In the end, I guess the lesson learned was to spend more time trying to sound like myself and hope that something emerges that's creative and appealing.

That's a great example there.. the best way to greatness is just by exploring what you've got smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 14 2012, 05:29 AM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 12 2012, 04:44 PM) *
Attached Image

hahaha tongue.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
playaxeman
post Dec 14 2012, 07:21 AM
Post #5

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 6.091

I love Rush: talented musicians

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017 - 02:28 PM