3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Does Your Practicing Setup Look Like?
klasaine
post Jan 4 2013, 06:55 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 4 2013, 07:49 AM) *
Heey brother, what sort of a pickup is the one on the neck of your Tele? smile.gif

That is a Charlie Christian 'style' pickup by a company in Hawaii called 'Vintage Vibes' (Pete Biltoft). Lollar also makes a CC pkup.
It's a repro of one of Gibsons first production electric guitar pickups used on the ES-150 - the axe played by Charlie Christian, hence the nickname CC pkup. It's a fairly hot output, single coil pkup and kinda noisy like a P-90. Great for jazz, blues, soul, anything swampy or needing be 'old' sounding...
I love it. I get a ton of inquiries as well as compliments on it.

* You can hear it here (solo xmas song) with some grit, verb, delay and trem ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsc1ATzR4g0

* Bad cell phone vid, both pkups, solo starts at 1:00 ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq2lTbyy9hA

* Another bad cell phone vid. CC pkup only. Single notes and chords. Skip to 2:38 to really 'hear' it ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiPb5Cjz9q4

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 4 2013, 06:59 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
post Jan 4 2013, 07:57 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 12.764

My practice setup is just Guitar < Kemper < Presonus < Reaper, with headphones. If doing lessons with the need of a metronome. I kick on Superior Drummer, tap in a 4/4 click, set tempo, click play, and turn away from my computer so I can fully concentrate on my practices.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG920QM (Black Ice) , Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez RG470XL (Black Perl) , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Kemper Profiling Amp , Mesa Mark 5:25

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 4 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #23

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 4 2013, 05:55 PM) *
That is a Charlie Christian 'style' pickup by a company in Hawaii called 'Vintage Vibes' (Pete Biltoft). Lollar also makes a CC pkup.
It's a repro of one of Gibsons first production electric guitar pickups used on the ES-150 - the axe played by Charlie Christian, hence the nickname CC pkup. It's a fairly hot output, single coil pkup and kinda noisy like a P-90. Great for jazz, blues, soul, anything swampy or needing be 'old' sounding...
I love it. I get a ton of inquiries as well as compliments on it.

* You can hear it here (solo xmas song) with some grit, verb, delay and trem ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsc1ATzR4g0

* Bad cell phone vid, both pkups, solo starts at 1:00 ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq2lTbyy9hA

* Another bad cell phone vid. CC pkup only. Single notes and chords. Skip to 2:38 to really 'hear' it ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiPb5Cjz9q4

Wow.. I love the sound, so warm and close to me smile.gif It's like you are playing here in the room with me... Very nice!

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jan 4 2013, 08:13 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 4 2013, 07:08 PM) *
Wow.. I love the sound, so warm and close to me smile.gif It's like you are playing here in the room with me... Very nice!

Thank you sir! I also have to say that it is an 'exceptional' (MIM) Telecaster.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 4 2013, 08:17 PM
Post #25

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 4 2013, 07:13 PM) *
Thank you sir! I also have to say that it is an 'exceptional' (MIM) Telecaster.

I would love a Tele! If things don't work out with the PRS endorsement, I will get a Tele - first thing laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andre Nieri
post Jan 4 2013, 09:23 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

Member No.: 14.766

Great topic, Bogdan.

My setup is very simple - just my guitar and a solid-state amp. I agree that it's good to practice with a nice gear so that you can feel and hear a lot more things than with a crap setup. But it always worked for me, so nevermind.

Also I like to mention that sometimes it's just me and my nylon acoustic guitar. A different world here - it's a lot more difficult to play, so when I switch to the electric guitar, it feels smoother and easier to play.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jan 4 2013, 09:39 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Andre Nieri @ Jan 4 2013, 08:23 PM) *
Great topic, Bogdan.

My setup is very simple - just my guitar and a solid-state amp. I agree that it's good to practice with a nice gear so that you can feel and hear a lot more things than with a crap setup. But it always worked for me, so nevermind.

Also I like to mention that sometimes it's just me and my nylon acoustic guitar. A different world here - it's a lot more difficult to play, so when I switch to the electric guitar, it feels smoother and easier to play.

^^^ I like that attitude! ^^^

I agree that it's nice to practice on good gear and in a nice environment ... now.
But I partially attribute my alleged skill and ability to actually make a living at this to my formative years of playing on terrible instruments ... if you want to make it sound good, [b]YOU[/b] have to make it sound good. Like many I learned on a $35 department store steel string and my first electric was a $60 SG copy. Both had their strings almost an inch off the neck and rusted frets. Playing music well is mostly about 'wanting' to play music well - no matter the obstacles. Definitely something to be said for making the instrument work for you. As the old saying goes, "only a poor carpenter blames his tools". Food for thought - ?

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 4 2013, 09:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 5 2013, 03:20 PM
Post #28

Instructor
Group Icon

Darn it! I can't find it right now, but someone posted a little movie with Satriani playing on a very, very cheap guitar and sounding JUST THE WAY HE USUALLY DOES smile.gif The tone is in the hands and I agree with you 100% but, you must admit that the pleasure of playing on a great instrument is unmatched biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jan 5 2013, 06:25 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 5 2013, 02:20 PM) *
but, you must admit that the pleasure of playing on a great instrument is unmatched biggrin.gif

Absolutely. And as I said - now I practice on a good instrument with a nice amp etc.

I think what I was trying to say is that when I (as well as many other musicians throughout history) was learning as a little kid I didn't know any better in regard to a good instrument. I also didn't realize that there was such a thing as 'distortion', a wah pedal, a slide, a phaser, etc. I remember trying desperately to get all those sounds off of a Jeff Beck record (Blow by Blow) with just a cheap SG copy that I had to plug it into my dad's stereo. Though of course I couldn't do it, trying to make it sound like JB forced me to really work with my two hands. Especially my picking hand to coax tones out of that thing. Pick by the bridge, pick a little sideways, pick over the end of the fretboard, use my fingers, use all the pickups, use the tone control (a very underused component of an elec guit IMO), etc. When I finally did get a good instrument (and a wah pedal biggrin.gif ) it was like ... "man, now this is easy!" OK, so I still don't sound like Jeff Beck but you get the idea. I am SO thankful that I was actually ignorant to the option of a 'good' instrument - for those early, formative years.

But yes, now I play on that bad*ss Tele you see wink.gif

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 5 2013, 06:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andre Nieri
post Jan 5 2013, 06:43 PM
Post #30

Group Icon

Member No.: 14.766

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 5 2013, 05:25 PM) *
Absolutely. And as I said - now I practice on a good instrument with a nice amp etc.

I think what I was trying to say is that when I (as well as many other musicians throughout history) was learning as a little kid I didn't know any better in regard to a good instrument. I also didn't realize that there was such a thing as 'distortion', a wah pedal, a slide, a phaser, etc. I remember trying desperately to get all those sounds off of a Jeff Beck record (Blow by Blow) with just a cheap SG copy that I had to plug it into my dad's stereo. Though of course I couldn't do it, trying to make it sound like JB forced me to really work with my two hands. Especially my picking hand to coax tones out of that thing. Pick by the bridge, pick a little sideways, pick over the end of the fretboard, use my fingers, use all the pickups, use the tone control (a very underused component of an elec guit IMO), etc. When I finally did get a good instrument (and a wah pedal biggrin.gif ) it was like ... "man, now this is easy!" OK, so I still don't sound like Jeff Beck but you get the idea. I am SO thankful that I was actually ignorant to the option of a 'good' instrument - for those early, formative years.

But yes, now I play on that bad*ss Tele you see wink.gif

That's a thing I always tell my novice students - focus on your playing instead of worrying about amps, cabinets, strings, guitars, woods etc. Sometimes they tend to be so much focused on that and for me it's not a good thing.
I started playing (9 years old) with a crappy cheap acoustic guitar and the only thing that matters to me at that time was to be able to reproduce my idols' songs. I only got interested in tone many years later, when I was 20!

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jan 5 2013, 06:58 PM
Post #31

Yeah, it's really easy to fetishize guitar, especially electric guitar.
I am as guilty as the next guy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
post Jan 6 2013, 02:30 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 17.078

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 4 2013, 07:17 PM) *
I would love a Tele! If things don't work out with the PRS endorsement, I will get a Tele - first thing laugh.gif

Everyone needs a Tele. You don't have to play it live or in videos. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 6 2013, 08:04 AM
Post #33

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Jan 6 2013, 01:30 AM) *
Everyone needs a Tele. You don't have to play it live or in videos. wink.gif

Yeah indeed, but unfortunately I can't afford to buy that many guitars and if I have to stick with PRS (which I intend to) the Tele must wait smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
post Jan 6 2013, 10:19 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 17.078

Fair enough! smile.gif

(But there's always Xmas wink.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 6 2013, 10:39 PM
Post #35

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Jan 6 2013, 09:19 PM) *
Fair enough! smile.gif

(But there's always Xmas wink.gif )

Bought a sword that hasn't yet reached my home ...YET laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jan 22 2013, 06:33 AM
Post #36

A wider view than before ...

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 22 2013, 06:36 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 22 2013, 09:24 AM
Post #37

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Ken, cozy looking setup smile.gif

Looks like an intimate atmosphere, which in my opinion, is vital to allow the right state of mind when working!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 24 2013, 02:19 AM
Post #38

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

INSTRUCTORS: Pix Please!!!!!!! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 24 2013, 08:45 AM
Post #39

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 24 2013, 01:19 AM) *
INSTRUCTORS: Pix Please!!!!!!! smile.gif

I got something more than just pics biggrin.gif -> https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=624088

--------------------

+Quote Post
VikingBlues
post Jan 24 2013, 09:09 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 17.483

Guess my practice area would be more cosy if there was somewhere to sit! biggrin.gif

Attached Image

The amps are up off the floor for the benefit of the neighbours in the downstairs flat. That's also why the (don't laugh!) low power 15W and 5W Fender XDs - SuerChamp and VbroChamp. The G-Dec3 30 is mainly used to play backing tracks (it's extra tweeter speaker does that job well) - I prefer the sound of the XDs for guitar. Hmmph ... a tad Fender theme of course, but a year ago it was Vox theme for amps. My tastes keep changing and fuelling GAS.

I've taken to sometimes practicing using both XD amps at the same time with an A/B Y splitter - gives a nice full sound, particularly if the SuperChamp is on the clean channel. Had been intending to sell the VibroChamp when I got the SuperChamp - but plans shelved - the two fit very nicely into a small cupboard in a window alcove too which keeps things tidier.

In the gloom of the far corner (should have done the photo in the daylight) you might just make out the laptop and microphone. Just in case a recording seems a good idea. There's a Vox Tonelab LE just next to the laptop too.

My wife is very tolerant - allowing me to use the living room as a music room. 4 electric guitars, 1 bass, 2 mics on stands, 3 amps. Not the usual living room furniture right enough. unsure.gif

--------------------
Still learning guitar - always will be learning.

My Soundclick

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 03:51 PM