> If You Were To Play Another Style Of Music
klasaine
post Jan 1 2013, 10:51 PM
Post #41

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

Great thread and VERY tough question.
If I had to nail it down and really pick something else I think I'd gravitate towards Indian music along the lines of the way John McLaughlin did it with Shakti. I find myself coming back to it again and again - that's probably a sign(?).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPtJNus0Q0I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vE2lYOzqYE

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vonhotch
post Jan 2 2013, 04:03 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 15.741

QUOTE (Bossie @ Jan 1 2013, 09:12 PM) *
Wouldn't mind havin a go at the violin even if it's extremely hard....an instrument that can create sounds that go through flesh and bone...

The violin is a very cool instrument. I play a very little and have a viola, makes amazing sounds but being a guitarist first it's a bitch finding the notes without frets laugh.gif . As for me I think I would choose the blues or classical.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 2 2013, 08:38 AM
Post #43

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 1 2013, 09:51 PM) *
Great thread and VERY tough question.
If I had to nail it down and really pick something else I think I'd gravitate towards Indian music along the lines of the way John McLaughlin did it with Shakti. I find myself coming back to it again and again - that's probably a sign(?).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPtJNus0Q0I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vE2lYOzqYE

Hey man, thanks for sharing the Shakti links! I had no clue about him!

QUOTE (snackajacks @ Dec 31 2012, 05:54 PM) *
definatly Country , because I love those fast guitarlicks and it sounds so happy.
It makes me happy biggrin.gif

Surprisingly, as much as I love country music, I recently heard some statistics saying that the greatest number of suicide cases were country music listeners - so.... what conclusions should we draw?

QUOTE (Javier Aviles @ Jan 1 2013, 08:54 PM) *
Music is music over styles and instruments!

Such a great observation Javier! I totally agree man smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Jan 2 2013, 09:42 AM
Post #44

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

QUOTE (Javier Aviles @ Jan 1 2013, 08:54 PM) *
Very interesting reflection Ben ...
I play guitar because it comes naturally and easily, but let me make a confession: I'm not a guitarist! I do not feel guitarist!
When I tell that to my guitar students, they say I'm crazy, they dont understand as I can say that. But I tell you that I'm a musician more than a guitarist.
What I really enjoy is composing symphonic music for movie soundtracks. I studied piano at the conservatory and is the instrument fills me most, I think the most complete to express music. And after that I really like the section of violins, violas, cellos and basses in a classical orchestra is what makes me feel in another world.
I enjoy composing classical music, I enjoy playing the piano. The guitar whenever I like less ...
And like you, I enjoy when I hear a musical texture, as if time stopped and you feel like floating.

Music is music over styles and instruments!

I totally understand that, Javier, and I must say that I agree. For me, the pleasure lies not in the pursuit of guitar itself but in the creation of music.
People probably think I'm crazy when I say I'm not excited about talking about amps, guitars, fx etc.. it's because creation is the ultimate expression and ultimate goal for me smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 1 2013, 09:51 PM) *

Yes, that was some great stuff with McLaughlin dueling with violin lines and drums. I've listened to the original Shakti and also the more 'recent' version, Remember Shakti - which I would describe as much more 'Indian' - great stuff smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jan 2 2013, 06:05 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 17.304

@Ben ... Fuuny you should mention the 'new' Shakti (Remember Shakti). I too felt that the band was more traditionally Indian ... though JM played electric (Gibson semi hollow 345 I think?) and he pretty much just played 'Jazz' in the ensemble as opposed to strictly adhering to the traditon. I loved it!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 2 2013, 06:06 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 3 2013, 02:11 AM
Post #46

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Having played folk music in various settings from local pubs to even Appalachian churches, I can say that Folk music an musicians seem to have a very unique almost spiritual bond. The music itself is something passed down along with the instruments from grandparents/parents to children so there is deep sense of living history to it. I hope to make it down to our local Folk Music Bar/Pub (The Red Light Cafe) more and more in 2013. They have a regular open mic and open jams where anyone can show up with an accoustic instrument and jam with whatever band is playing that night. Here is their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Red-Light-Cafe

Todd
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 28 2012, 03:26 PM) *
One thing I have to say about folk music, no matter the country of origin.. it all looks incredibly exhilarating to be part of it.. especially if you were the lead instrument.

I've had many jams of folk songs and it feels absolutely great. It's never been at the same kind of level as the real folk musicians.. much more simplified.. but still, incredible fun ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jan 3 2013, 09:43 AM
Post #47

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 3 2013, 01:11 AM) *
Having played folk music in various settings from local pubs to even Appalachian churches, I can say that Folk music an musicians seem to have a very unique almost spiritual bond. The music itself is something passed down along with the instruments from grandparents/parents to children so there is deep sense of living history to it. I hope to make it down to our local Folk Music Bar/Pub (The Red Light Cafe) more and more in 2013. They have a regular open mic and open jams where anyone can show up with an accoustic instrument and jam with whatever band is playing that night. Here is their facebook page.

Todd

Very nice! We have a place like this in Bucharest, called Big Mamou biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Jan 3 2013, 09:57 AM
Post #48

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 3 2013, 01:11 AM) *

Todd

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head, Todd.. the literal 'folk' element of it is what makes it special and makes everyone feel they're a part of it. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 01:56 AM